|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the troops going to Klendathu?
2. Who wrote Danny Deever?
3. What does Rico observe the bugs doing?
4. What does Rico say he hears the sound of?
5. Who comforts Rico?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has no one committed a 9080 in Zim's training before?
2. What does the Psychological Warfare Corps want to do on Planet P?
3. What are Rasczak's and Jelal's roles aboard the Rodger Young?
4. What do the soldiers capture on Planet P?
5. What does Rico realize about his new life when he visits Vancouver?
6. Summarize the story.
7. Describe Rico, Leivy, and Smith's fight with the Marines.
8. Why does the army want to punish Dillinger?
9. Summarize Chapter 9.
10. Describe the Rodger Young.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Heinlein's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 1950s America.
1) Why was spirituality finding oneself such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the fifties? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with fifties America?
Essay Topic 3
Is Heinlein promoting the use of women in warfare? Why does he not have women fighting on the ground? Do the students agree that women and men are better at different jobs such as piloting and fighting? What kind of reaction do you think Heinlein would have gotten in the fifties in such a book if he had portrayed women as being flogged?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)