|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote Danny Deever?
2. What planet are the troops going to?
3. What is the first battle against the bugs called?
4. What do the soldiers concentrate on bombing?
5. What does Rico think his luck has been down to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the OCS.
2. Why does the army want to punish Dillinger?
3. Describe the Rodger Young.
4. What does Frankel order Zim to do?
5. Summarize the final chapter.
6. Summarize Chapter 9.
7. What does Rico overhear Zim and Hendrick saying?
8. Why has no one committed a 9080 in Zim's training before?
9. Describe Frankel.
10. What was the revolt of the scientists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Heinlein's representation of earth. What does Heinlein's earth say about his political beliefs? Why do the students think only veterans of federal service can vote? Could this be called a military government? In what way does Heinlein's earth reflect problems in 1950s society?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do the share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Starship Troopers is written in the first person and with Rico as narrator. Why do you think Heinlein chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the third person? What difference does it make to the story that Heinlein is one of the characters?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)