|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are trainees eligible for in town?
2. Who does Rico mentor?
3. Who is the leader of Rico's first assignment?
4. Who asks Rico and his friends to stay out of trouble?
5. Who does Rico tell that he want to go career?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rico think about during the night?
2. Describe Rico's meeting with Carmencita.
3. What does Frankel order Zim to do?
4. Why has no one committed a 9080 in Zim's training before?
5. What was the revolt of the scientists?
6. Describe the OCS.
7. What does Rico realize about his new life when he visits Vancouver?
8. What does Rico overhear Zim and Hendrick saying?
9. Why has Rico's father joined the army?
10. Describe Rico, Leivy, and Smith's fight with the Marines.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Heinlein use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the recruitment process Heinlein portrays in the book. Is Mr. Dubois basically working as a teacher to find army recruits? What alternative opinions do the students think Rico has available to him? Why is Mr. Dubois and the government teaching such ideology when at the time there is no war? Does such ideology gear a population for war?
Essay Topic 3
How will Rico's character change now he is becoming more disciplined as a person? Would Rico have leaned discipline if he had gone to Harvard University instead of the army? Do the students think such discipline is necessary for everyday life? How will Rico cope once he is back in society?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)