|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the penalty if Rico changes his mind?
2. What is Sgt. Migliacco's main function in the MI?
3. Which of the suits carries the most electronic gear?
4. What does Hendrick insist on doing?
5. What is the name of Jelal's predecessor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Rico's parents receive the news that he is going to join the army?
2. What is Rico's job upon landing?
3. Summarize Chapter 1.
4. Why does Rico find it difficult to adjust to army life?
5. Why is Rico feeling so low in Chapter 5?
6. How do the MIs respond to the loss of Breckenbridge?
7. Describe the three types of suits.
8. What does Jejal tell his troops?
9. How does Rico's promotion to recruit-corporal change his situation?
10. How does Zim respond to Hendrick's criticism of him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the flogging have such an adverse affect on the other soldiers? Do the students think the flogging was as much to prove a point to everybody as it was to punish Hendrick? Do you think that Hendrick's conduct deserved such a punishment? Why did they not just throw him out of the army?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of Ace and Rico.
1) In what way are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Which one do you think would make the better officer and why?
Essay Topic 3
It is claimed that Starship Troopers comes from an overtly anti-communist view point. In what ways do the students think that Starship Troopers is anti-communist? In what way does this reflect American society at the time? Are there any characters in the novel that represent communism? If so, how does Heinlein portray these characters?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)