|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the section one leader?
2. What does Rico claim his family is free of?
3. What does Rico lack the guts to commit?
4. What does Hendrick question?
5. What lessons does Zim remind Hendrick of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Chapter 3.
2. What does Rico's father want him to do instead of the army?
3. Why is Rico feeling so low in Chapter 5?
4. What is Rico's father's problem with Rico joining the army?
5. Why does the fleet sergeant discourage the two boys from joining the army?
6. Describe Sergeant Zim.
7. What are the benefits of joining the army?
8. What do the power suits enable a soldier to do?
9. Why does the fleet sergeant think Rico has done well to joint the MI?
10. Why are the bugs so difficult to fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Heinlein was in the Navy and fought in the Korean War, adhering to the rule, writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Heinlein knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think Heinlein does not portray a character or setting very well? What affect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Starship Troopers is a famous book which has greatly influenced science fiction. Choose a book written after Starship Troopers that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss similarities in terms of :
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Heinlein use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution, and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character Henderson, examine the way Heinlein uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)