|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does MI stand for?
2. Why does Rico think the instructors are impersonal?
3. What lessons does Zim remind Hendrick of?
4. What does Rico claim his family is free of?
5. What do H&MP lessons teach?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zim react to the people who challenge him?
2. Why does Frankel make Hendrick's punishment so light?
3. How do Rico's parents receive the news that he is going to join the army?
4. What is Rico's job upon landing?
5. What does Rico's father want him to do instead of the army?
6. Summarize Chapter 3.
7. Why are the bugs so difficult to fight?
8. How does Zim respond to Hendrick's criticism of him?
9. What does a soldier use his facial muscles for inside a power suit?
10. How does Rico's promotion to recruit-corporal change his situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Starship Troopers is written in the first person and with Rico as narrator. Why do you think Heinlein chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the third person? What difference does it make to the story that Heinlein is one of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Why? Do the share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
How will Rico's character change now he is becoming more disciplined as a person? Would Rico have leaned discipline if he had gone to Harvard University instead of the army? Do the students think such discipline is necessary for everyday life? How will Rico cope once he is back in society?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)