|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rico's father give Rico for graduation?
2. What is the name of the space ship?
3. Where does Zim order Jenkins to?
4. What does Rico say is worse than the strokes?
5. Which character dies in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rico's promotion to recruit-corporal change his situation?
2. Why does the fleet sergeant discourage the two boys from joining the army?
3. Why does the fleet sergeant think Rico has done well to joint the MI?
4. What does Rico's father want him to do instead of the army?
5. How does Zim respond to Hendrick's criticism of him?
6. How do Rico's parents receive the news that he is going to join the army?
7. Describe the three types of suits.
8. Why is Rico feeling so low in Chapter 5?
9. In what ways does training becoming harder in Chapter 4?
10. What do the power suits enable a soldier to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Ace and Rico.
1) In what way are their ideas different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Which one do you think would make the better officer and why?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Heinlein's representation of earth. What does Heinlein's earth say about his political beliefs? Why do the students think only veterans of federal service can vote? Could this be called a military government? In what way does Heinlein's earth reflect problems in 1950s society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 1950s America.
1) Why was spirituality finding oneself such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters' negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the fifties? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with fifties America?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)