• The book takes place in the 24th century.
• All of the habitable worlds in the Solar System are occupied.
• it is a time of freaks and wonders and discontent as romantics search for new frontiers.
• A researcher named Jaunte accidentally sets fire to himself, and is able to teleport himself to another location.
• This first jaunte took place because Jaunte was in fear of dying.
• Jaunting is a natural ability of all humans, but has to be learned just as an infant has to learn to see.
• Jaunting changes the world because it makes mass transit obsolete except between planets.
• Gully Foyle is introduced as a mate on board a spaceship, the Nomad.
• Foyle is everyman, totally unremarkable, raised in a gutter school and speaking in a gutter tongue.
• He is trapped on board the wreckage of the Nomad, living in a sealed tool locker.
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)