|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was John Brown's grandfather?
2. When did Abraham Lincoln raise the Union Army to put down the "insurrection" during the secession (215)?
3. Who was the Chicago Defender founder who became one of the first Black millionaires?
4. What was declared in the decision of Brown v. the Board of Education of Topeka?
5. When did the dissolution of the Soviet Union occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to the L.A. Riots in the early 1990s? How did the riots impact race relations?
2. How had W. E. B. Du Bois' views changed by 1933? Why?
3. What were the "race-veiled" voting restrictions that emerged in the 1890s in the South (273)?
4. What discussion does the author make regarding The Cosby Show?
5. What response did the Voting Rights Act of 1965 garner?
6. Why did the concept of segregation gain momentum at the turn of the twentieth century?
7. What impacts did the women's suffrage movement have on the Black community?
8. Who was Franz Boas and what did he present at the Atlanta University Commencement Address that shocked his audience?
9. Why is the issue of land distribution following the Civil War significant?
10. Who is Angela Davis? What led Davis to activism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the contemporary climate of racism in America and how this climate inspired Ibram X. Kendi's writing of Stamped from the Beginning. What examples of police shootings, trials, and activist movements does Kendi describe in the Prologue? In what ways have these events shaped contemporary society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life and the impressions of Phillis Wheatley. When and where was Wheatley born and raised? What made Wheatley stand out as a slave? In what ways was her uniqueness exploited and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss legislation and social perspectives on interracial marriage and partnerships in America throughout history. When were laws first enacted that prohibited interracial marriage? How was rape by slave owners different, and why?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)