|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fort were the Portuguese beginning building in 1481?
2. According to the author in Chapter 7, who became associated to associating "lightness and Whiteness and reason, on the one hand and ... darkness and Blackness and ignorance, on the other" (81)?
3. What name was Al-Hasan Ibn Muhammad al-Wazzan al-Fasi given when he was released from slavery?
4. When did Pedro de Las Casas publish History of the Indes?
5. When did Spanish merchant Pedro de Las Casas settle in Hispaniola?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led the Spanish colonists after Columbus to turn to Africa for slave labor?
2. Who was Phillis Wheatly and why is she important in American history?
3. Discuss the ironies of the Declaration of Independence.
4. What did the Fugitive Slave Act of 1793 dictate?
5. What is polygenism? How did it promote racism?
6. What influence did Aristotle have on the views of the Puritans regarding slavery?
7. What is Carl Linnaeus's significance in racial history?
8. What conclusions does the author make regarding Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel Uncle Tom's Cabin?
9. Why is it important to the author that the reader know this book is not a history of racial progress?
10. How did the invention of the cotton gin impact slavery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the influences of literature, music, television, and film on racist ideas in America. What are some examples from the text that demonstrate both positive and negative impacts on racist thought from entertainment? How have different forms of entertainment served to strengthen and/or weaken stereotypes of Black Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the lives, careers, and activist work of Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X. How did King and Malcolm X differ in their views and their actions? What similar ideas did they share? How did each man influence and inspire Blacks to seek equality? What were the impacts of their assassinations?
Essay Topic 3
What were the impacts of the Civil Rights Act of 1964? What backlash came with the act? How did the act influence the Black vote? What powers were given to enforce the act?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)