|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who became "one of the first African Americans to publicly attack the idea of uplift suasion" in the 1830s (179)?
2. Who is referred to in Chapter 11 as "That rare segregationist who rejected polygenesis," believing "that all humans descended from Europe's Garden of Eden" (138)?
3. Whose acquittal in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin set off the #Black Lives Matter movement?
4. Where did Nat Turner's slave rebellion take place?
5. What publication did William Lloyd Garrison create and use to encourage "free Blacks to challenge 'every law which infringes on your rights'" (168)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is uplift suasion?
2. What events led to the development of the #Black Lives Matter movement? What impact has the movement had?
3. What discovery did Cotton Mather make during the smallpox outbreak of 1721?
4. What is climate theory?
5. What did the Fugitive Slave Act of 1793 dictate?
6. Why were slave-owners reluctant to baptize their slaves in the 1600s?
7. Define the three sides of the racial debate, according to the author.
8. What is curse theory?
9. Who was Peter Paul Simons and what did he contribute to the racial debate?
10. What were the impacts of Bacon's Rebellion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the colonization movement during and following the American Civil War. Who led the thought on re-colonizing Blacks back to Africa? How widespread was support of this idea? How did Blacks themselves feel about colonization?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss legislation and social perspectives on interracial marriage and partnerships in America throughout history. When were laws first enacted that prohibited interracial marriage? How was rape by slave owners different, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe climate theory in regards to race. When did this theory emerge? Where and from whom did it emerge? How was climate theory used to justify racism?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)