|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears to be romantically involved with Mimi based upon a photograph Cole sees in Chapter Twenty?
2. In Chapter Twenty-Four, Cole tells Mimi that he must speak to her. What does Mimi first tell him?
3. When Poitras, Griggs, Ito, and Cole drive to Asan's house in order to find Mimi, what do they encounter in Asano's driveway?
4. Who made an inscription on a book Mimi owns stating, "May there always be warm sun"?
5. What information does Eddit Ditko give Cole about Kira Asano?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Eddie Ditko convey to Cole about Kira Asano that helps Cole with his case?
2. After Ito tells Cole his take on why Eddie Tang killed Ishida and then Asano, why does Cole tell him his story has some holes in it?
3. What approach does Cole decide he can use in order to get in touch with Traci Louise Fishman?
4. What does Eddie Tang do to make it obvious that he will do anything to protect Mimi?
5. While speaking with Traci Louise Fishman in her Volkswagen Rabbit, what does Cole learn about Mimi Warren that makes Traci sob and gag?
6. What are the clear indications that Mimi Warren is confused and living on the false hope that her life will improve by being with Eddie Tang?
7. How does Joe Pike try to ease Cole's guilt over losing Mimi for the second time?
8. While Cole and Pike discuss the little bit of light left before they can pounce on the lake house and save Mimi, what are Cole's reasons for not calling the cops?
9. What is insinuated in Chapter Thirty when Detective Griggs and Lou Poitras wonder why Mimi killed her father and Griggs says, "Maybe she just had to"?
10. In what ways is Kira Asano's residence depicted as being a home that is no longer grand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a detailed review of the yakuza warrior code. How does Eddie Tang live and die by this code? How does Joe Pike mirror the same code?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Joe Pike's character. In what ways does he compare to Elvis Cole? How is he different from Cole? How is he similar? Relate the importance of his character to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Elvis Cole and Bradley Warren in terms of personality, economics, and status.
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)