|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pike and Cole reach Torobuni's house in Brentwood, how does she answer their many questions concerning Torobuni's whereabouts?
2. Where does Cole want to meet with Bradley and Sheila to discuss the situation with them?
3. What do the police and Cole find hiding in an upstairs bedroom in Asano's house in Chapter Thirty?
4. Where do Cole and Mimi go to talk things over in Chapter Twenty-Six?
5. Where does Mimi tell her father to meet her in Chapter Twenty-Nine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cole discover about Mimi when he finds her in the lake house that is a surprise?
2. When Cole insists to Asano and Frank that the Hagakure must be returned to its owners, what is inferred as to Asano's thoughts of his life?
3. While Cole and Pike discuss the little bit of light left before they can pounce on the lake house and save Mimi, what are Cole's reasons for not calling the cops?
4. Why does Cole begin to wonder who is really running the Asano organization?
5. What does Cole deduce about Eddie Tang's reasons for killing Ishida?
6. What information does Eddie Ditko convey to Cole about Kira Asano that helps Cole with his case?
7. What is insinuated in Chapter Thirty when Detective Griggs and Lou Poitras wonder why Mimi killed her father and Griggs says, "Maybe she just had to"?
8. What are the clear indications that Mimi Warren is confused and living on the false hope that her life will improve by being with Eddie Tang?
9. How is Eddie Tang's apartment decorated?
10. In what ways is Kira Asano's residence depicted as being a home that is no longer grand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Review Jillian Becker's persona. What is she looking for in life? How does she finally discover what this is? Who is there to help her and how?
Essay Topic 2
Joe Pike, the character, does not smile and rarely talks. In what ways does the author show Joe Pike as a dependable, close friend of Cole's?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the advantages and disadvantages of Elvis Cole's use of humor in his line of work. Describe instances when it works in his favor and instances when it does not. Explain why it does or does not work for Cole.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)