|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cole do to show Bradley that he is very serious about the Warrens going into therapy with Carol Hillegas?
2. Why doesn't Eddie Tang want Cole to take Mimi away?
3. Who appears to be romantically involved with Mimi based upon a photograph Cole sees in Chapter Twenty?
4. Why does Pike end up killing Tang?
5. What is the man from Japan with the ponytail holding as Cole and Pike shoot their way through the lake house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cole begin to wonder who is really running the Asano organization?
2. When Cole tells Bradley to tell Sheila about Mimi in Chapter Twenty-Eight, what is Sheila's reaction, before Bradley or Cole say another word?
3. What does Cole discover about Mimi when he finds her in the lake house that is a surprise?
4. What approach does Cole decide he can use in order to get in touch with Traci Louise Fishman?
5. After Ito tells Cole his take on why Eddie Tang killed Ishida and then Asano, why does Cole tell him his story has some holes in it?
6. In what ways is Kira Asano's residence depicted as being a home that is no longer grand?
7. While Cole and Pike discuss the little bit of light left before they can pounce on the lake house and save Mimi, what are Cole's reasons for not calling the cops?
8. What does Bradley Warren think Cole wants when they agree to meet at the Warren home in Chapter Twenty-Eight?
9. What is so shocking about the photograph that Traci Louise Fishman shows to Cole while they sit in her Volkswagen Rabbit?
10. When Jillian more or less quits her position with Bradley by leaving the house against his command, what does she learn she must do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joe Pike hints at Elvis Cole's intense need to find Mimi and get her the help she requires. Elaborate upon Pike's explanation and why Pike stands by his friend to help him.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Joe Pike's character. In what ways does he compare to Elvis Cole? How is he different from Cole? How is he similar? Relate the importance of his character to the story.
Essay Topic 3
What is foreshadowed in the story by Mimi Warren's extreme shyness and inattention to her outward appearance when she is around her parents? What other signs and/or signals are given throughout the story to indicate the profound problem Mimi has at home?
This section contains 1,361 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)