|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pike's former profession before joining Cole in a partnership?
2. With what is Bradley's company involved?
3. What does Cole owe Lou Poitras?
4. When Jillian asks Cole why he is still going to look for Mimi, what is Cole's answer?
5. Who is Lou Poitras?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sheila's personality.
2. When Cole tells Sheila Warren that Joe Pike will be taking over his duties in looking after her and her house, how does the woman react?
3. When Cole calls Lou Poitras for information on the men who followed Cole in Little Tokyo, what makes him so bored after the placing the call?
4. In what ways are the yakuza soldiers very different from the mafia?
5. When the elderly member of the Tashiro family stands up in Warren Bradley's office to speak, what does he convey to Cole?
6. Why does Cole make a serious effort to convince Bradley Warren to call the police in Chapter Eleven?
7. Why is Bradley desperate to get back the Hagakure in a week's time?
8. What does the exterior of the Warren house look like?
9. How does the writer get across to the reader Cole's sense of humor in Chapter Four?
10. What are Pike's and Cole's thoughts about Bradley Warren's possible involvement in the theft of the Hagakure in Chapter Fourteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the advantages and disadvantages of Elvis Cole's use of humor in his line of work. Describe instances when it works in his favor and instances when it does not. Explain why it does or does not work for Cole.
Essay Topic 2
Joe Pike hints at Elvis Cole's intense need to find Mimi and get her the help she requires. Elaborate upon Pike's explanation and why Pike stands by his friend to help him.
Essay Topic 3
Explore Mimi Warren's character in relation to Elvis Cole. How does Cole view Mimi's relationship with her parents? How does Mimi react to Cole's comforting words? What is the reader led to believe about Mimi Warren throughout most of the book?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)