|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When one of the cops in Chapter Thirteen asks Bradley to stay for a few questions regarding Mimi's disappearance, what is Bradley hoping?
2. What clothing style does Jillian reflect when Cole first meets her?
3. Who is the Butterfly Lady?
4. What does Mimi ask one of the busboys at the Man of the Month banquet?
5. Where is the Sun Tree Gallery located?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Six, Sheila explains the phone call threat she has received. How does she explain it to Cole?
2. How does Cole come to discover where the Hagakure might be if someone wanted to purchase it on the black market?
3. In what ways are the yakuza soldiers very different from the mafia?
4. By Chapter Four, what is Cole mostly shown doing in his apartment?
5. Why does Cole lean close to Mimi in Chapter Twelve and whisper, "How you doin"?
6. Why does Cole believe that the threatening phone calls the Warrens are receiving are harassment calls?
7. How does Cole get the information he needs from the young, male bartender?
8. When the elderly member of the Tashiro family stands up in Warren Bradley's office to speak, what does he convey to Cole?
9. How does Yuki Torobuni try to scare off Cole when Cole questions him about Mimi and the Hagakure?
10. How is nearly everyone reacting once they come out of the murder scene in Ishida's office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the inner workings of the yakuza versus the mafia. Use concrete examples and characters from the book to back up your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Write about Kira Asana's background and motives. What was he once famous for and when? How does someone like Eddie Ditko view Asana now? What is Asano's situation at the present time concerning a following? What are his motives for wanting the Hagakure?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter Twenty-One, Mimi Warren's friend, Traci Louise Fishman, talks to Cole about Mimi's self-inflicted wounds and new friends, including a boyfriend who is very dangerous. Discuss the two different Mimis the reader is introduced to in this chapter. How do they differ? Do Mimi's two personalities in any way overlap?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)