|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The incarnation is the method of God expressing divine ______________.
2. The second book shows how Jesus could do what?
3. Anselm argues that God must incarnate as one from whose race?
4. God can be properly called what, in regards to the Trinity?
5. Who can be perfectly good and make up an infinite debt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Chapters 4 and 5 argue?
2. In what should we believe?
3. How does Gaunilo use the greatest conceivable island?
4. How is the Greatest Conceivable Island compared to God?
5. On Gaunilo's view, why does the argument fail?
6. What is known about each human soul?
7. What do Chapters 6 and 7 argue?
8. What happens when the soul loves God? What happens when a soul hates God?
9. Why is Anselm's task of defending the Christian faith not complete?
10. What is Gaunilo's argument?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
St. Anselm believes only a fool would not believe in God.
Part 1) Why does he believe this? Does he support this belief with valid responses and hard evidence? Explain.
Part 2) Do you agree with Anselm? Why or why not? What does this belief reveal about Anselm?
Part 3) How might Anselm's upbringing and culture influence this belief?
Essay Topic 2
Anselm concludes that he has shown how the core ideas of the Old and New Testaments are true.
Part 1) Give four ways that Anselm has shown the Bible to be true.
Part 2) Could Anselm be disputed? Why or why not? What do these core ideas and Anselm's interpretation of them reveal about the church?
Part 3) How have these core ideas influenced our culture as a whole? Is this good? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
God exists necessarily.
Part 1) What does Anselm mean by this? How does this support Anselm's belief in one God?
Part 2) How does this aspect of God make him, in a sense, unapproachable? Is this good or bad? Why?
Part 3) How is God's existence also in need of unity? Why?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)