|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what is Gaunilo's piece a response?
2. How is man alienated from God?
3. What is Boso's role?
4. Why was Cur Deus Homo written?
5. And any soul that hates God will be __________ for all of time.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Chapters 3 through 8 discuss?
2. What can be known about the Trinity?
3. In what should we believe?
4. How does Gaunilo use the greatest conceivable island?
5. Why is the sacrifice of the God-man so important?
6. What is known about each human soul?
7. What do Chapters 1, 2, and 3 explain?
8. What is the rational mind?
9. On Gaunilo's view, why does the argument fail?
10. What do Chapters 6 and 7 argue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Christ's life pays God for humanity's sins.
Part 1) How does Christ's life do this? Could anyone else's life be capable of paying for humanity's sins? Why or why not?
Part 2) How important are the facts that Christ had the freedom to sin and died happily to his ability to pay God for mankind's sins? Explain.
Part 3) Why has the world not returned to its original state, as with Adam and Eve, if Christ has paid for mankind's sins?
Essay Topic 2
God is passionless, according to St. Anselm.
Part 1) How is passionless? Does he contain compassion? Why or why not? Do you agree with Anselm? Why or why not?
Part 2) Is it a positive thing that God is passionless? Why or why not?
Part 3) Have you been passionless in your life? If so, when and why? How did it affect your actions? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
St. Anselm explains the concept of God.
Part 1) What is the concept of God? How does he support this concept?
Part 2) Do you agree with Anselm's concept of God? Why or why not? Does understanding the concept of God force one to believe in Him? Why or why not?
Part 3) What are two other main points that Anselm explains about God? How are they each related to the concept of God?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)