|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The soul's efforts must be directed towards what?
2. Is Boso a Christian?
3. When the soul loves God, He is blessed and God does what?
4. Anselm argues that God must incarnate as one from whose race?
5. From where does God's compulsion come to complete his original plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Chapters 4 and 5 argue?
2. In what should we believe?
3. What can be known about the Trinity?
4. What happens when the soul loves God? What happens when a soul hates God?
5. What do Chapters 6 and 7 argue?
6. Why must humans be saved?
7. What is the purpose of Cur Deus Homo? How do you know this? Describe this book.
8. What does Gaunilo submit?
9. What do Chapters 1, 2, and 3 explain?
10. What does Anselm outline to prepare the reader for Book II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
God is passionless, according to St. Anselm.
Part 1) How is passionless? Does he contain compassion? Why or why not? Do you agree with Anselm? Why or why not?
Part 2) Is it a positive thing that God is passionless? Why or why not?
Part 3) Have you been passionless in your life? If so, when and why? How did it affect your actions? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Anselm argues that, despite the fact that we cannot truly understand the nature of the Trinity, we should believe in it.
Part 1) Why can one not truly understand the Trinity? Why should one believe in it, even though he or she does not understand it?
Part 2) Is this lack of understanding and need to believe anyway exist in other aspects of Christianity? If so, give an example. If not, why not?
Part 3) In what do you believe? Do you have complete understanding of this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
God exists necessarily.
Part 1) What does Anselm mean by this? How does this support Anselm's belief in one God?
Part 2) How does this aspect of God make him, in a sense, unapproachable? Is this good or bad? Why?
Part 3) How is God's existence also in need of unity? Why?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)