|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must the Island have this property?
2. Christ is limited in power and knowledge in His human nature, as we are, but why is He not miserable?
3. Anselm argues that God must incarnate as one from whose race?
4. How is man alienated from God?
5. Chapter two has Boso argue that while belief by faith must ___________ belief due to reason, faith should still seek understanding.
Short Essay Questions
1. What can be known about the Trinity?
2. What does Anselm outline to prepare the reader for Book II?
3. What is known about each human soul?
4. On Gaunilo's view, why does the argument fail?
5. How does Gaunilo use the greatest conceivable island?
6. How will souls be rewarded?
7. What is the purpose of Cur Deus Homo? How do you know this? Describe this book.
8. For what have Christians been ridiculed? What is Anselm's response to this?
9. What do Chapters 4 and 5 argue?
10. Why is Anselm's task of defending the Christian faith not complete?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
St. Anselm explains the concept of God.
Part 1) What is the concept of God? How does he support this concept?
Part 2) Do you agree with Anselm's concept of God? Why or why not? Does understanding the concept of God force one to believe in Him? Why or why not?
Part 3) What are two other main points that Anselm explains about God? How are they each related to the concept of God?
Essay Topic 2
Man was initially made holy so that he could enjoy God.
Part 1) What else could not take place if man had remained sinless? Why? Is it possible for a man to be born and to remain sinless? Why or why not?
Part 2) What does Anselm say about God's original plan? Does he still continue along this plan? Why or why not? How does Jesus play into this original plan?
Part 3) What is the connection between this discussion of God's original plan the end of the plan, and the Trinity? What does all this reveal and clarify about the Christian faith?
Essay Topic 3
God exists necessarily.
Part 1) What does Anselm mean by this? How does this support Anselm's belief in one God?
Part 2) How does this aspect of God make him, in a sense, unapproachable? Is this good or bad? Why?
Part 3) How is God's existence also in need of unity? Why?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)