|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Souls will be awarded according to what?
2. The rational mind is the closest method of approaching who or what?
3. What must we understand?
4. How is man alienated from God?
5. Why must the Island have this property?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Chapters 1, 2, and 3 explain?
2. What do Chapters 6 and 7 argue?
3. How will souls be rewarded?
4. How is the Greatest Conceivable Island compared to God?
5. What is the purpose of Cur Deus Homo? How do you know this? Describe this book.
6. What does Anselm say about Satan and the Fallen Angels?
7. What happens when the soul loves God? What happens when a soul hates God?
8. In what should we believe?
9. How does Gaunilo use the greatest conceivable island?
10. Why must humans be saved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
St. Anselm prays to God that his work will reveal the truth.
Part 1) Why does he make this prayer? What does this reveal about him?
Part 2) In your opinion, s St. Anselm's prayer answered? Why or why not? Can prayer make one's actions and thoughts absolutely correct? Why or why not?
Part 3) What truth, if any, do Anselm's writings provide?
Essay Topic 2
Anselm argues that, despite the fact that we cannot truly understand the nature of the Trinity, we should believe in it.
Part 1) Why can one not truly understand the Trinity? Why should one believe in it, even though he or she does not understand it?
Part 2) Is this lack of understanding and need to believe anyway exist in other aspects of Christianity? If so, give an example. If not, why not?
Part 3) In what do you believe? Do you have complete understanding of this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Anselm concludes that he has shown how the core ideas of the Old and New Testaments are true.
Part 1) Give four ways that Anselm has shown the Bible to be true.
Part 2) Could Anselm be disputed? Why or why not? What do these core ideas and Anselm's interpretation of them reveal about the church?
Part 3) How have these core ideas influenced our culture as a whole? Is this good? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)