|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gaunilo draw an analogy to God's existence?
2. What is the reason that the rational mind was created?
3. Chapter one informs the reader that Christians have been ridiculed for their theory of the atonement, particularly for what idea?
4. We should believe in God by doing what?
5. Does Gaunilo believe Anselm's Ontological Argument to be correct?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why must humans be saved?
2. What do Chapters 4 and 5 argue?
3. Why is the sacrifice of the God-man so important?
4. What is the rational mind?
5. What is Gaunilo's argument?
6. What do Chapters 6 and 7 argue?
7. How will souls be rewarded?
8. For what have Christians been ridiculed? What is Anselm's response to this?
9. On Gaunilo's view, why does the argument fail?
10. What does the Appendix of Anselm: Basic Writings contain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anselm disputes Gaunilo's island example.
Part 1) What is Gaunilo's island example? Why does Anselm dispute it?
Part 2) Do you agree with Anselm or Gaunilo regarding the "lost island?" Why?
Part 3) What is the connection between Anselm's beliefs about Gaunilo's "lost island" and one's ability to conceive?
Essay Topic 2
St. Anselm prays to God that his work will reveal the truth.
Part 1) Why does he make this prayer? What does this reveal about him?
Part 2) In your opinion, s St. Anselm's prayer answered? Why or why not? Can prayer make one's actions and thoughts absolutely correct? Why or why not?
Part 3) What truth, if any, do Anselm's writings provide?
Essay Topic 3
St. Anselm believes only a fool would not believe in God.
Part 1) Why does he believe this? Does he support this belief with valid responses and hard evidence? Explain.
Part 2) Do you agree with Anselm? Why or why not? What does this belief reveal about Anselm?
Part 3) How might Anselm's upbringing and culture influence this belief?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)