|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is Boso worried?
2. From where does God's compulsion come to complete his original plan?
3. God possesses ____________, and a being can have all of God's properties but this.
4. God must exist. Why?
5. Why was Cur Deus Homo written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Chapters 3 through 8 discuss?
2. What does Gaunilo submit?
3. What does Anselm say about Satan and the Fallen Angels?
4. In what should we believe?
5. How will souls be rewarded?
6. What does the Appendix of Anselm: Basic Writings contain?
7. Why must humans be saved?
8. How does Gaunilo use the greatest conceivable island?
9. What is the purpose of Cur Deus Homo? How do you know this? Describe this book.
10. On Gaunilo's view, why does the argument fail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anselm concludes that he has shown how the core ideas of the Old and New Testaments are true.
Part 1) Give four ways that Anselm has shown the Bible to be true.
Part 2) Could Anselm be disputed? Why or why not? What do these core ideas and Anselm's interpretation of them reveal about the church?
Part 3) How have these core ideas influenced our culture as a whole? Is this good? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Man was initially made holy so that he could enjoy God.
Part 1) What else could not take place if man had remained sinless? Why? Is it possible for a man to be born and to remain sinless? Why or why not?
Part 2) What does Anselm say about God's original plan? Does he still continue along this plan? Why or why not? How does Jesus play into this original plan?
Part 3) What is the connection between this discussion of God's original plan the end of the plan, and the Trinity? What does all this reveal and clarify about the Christian faith?
Essay Topic 3
Anselm disputes Gaunilo's island example.
Part 1) What is Gaunilo's island example? Why does Anselm dispute it?
Part 2) Do you agree with Anselm or Gaunilo regarding the "lost island?" Why?
Part 3) What is the connection between Anselm's beliefs about Gaunilo's "lost island" and one's ability to conceive?
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)