|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Can one merely believe?
2. Is Boso a Christian?
3. How is "Cur Deus Homo" translated?
4. Chapter nine emphasizes that only who within the Trinity can take on the nature of man?
5. What is the document by Anselm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Appendix of Anselm: Basic Writings contain?
2. In what should we believe?
3. Why is the sacrifice of the God-man so important?
4. Why must humans be saved?
5. What do Chapters 4 and 5 argue?
6. For what have Christians been ridiculed? What is Anselm's response to this?
7. How does Gaunilo use the greatest conceivable island?
8. Was the God-man born with original sin? How does this affect Him?
9. What is the purpose of Cur Deus Homo? How do you know this? Describe this book.
10. What does Anselm outline to prepare the reader for Book II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
St. Anselm believes only a fool would not believe in God.
Part 1) Why does he believe this? Does he support this belief with valid responses and hard evidence? Explain.
Part 2) Do you agree with Anselm? Why or why not? What does this belief reveal about Anselm?
Part 3) How might Anselm's upbringing and culture influence this belief?
Essay Topic 2
Anselm concludes that he has shown how the core ideas of the Old and New Testaments are true.
Part 1) Give four ways that Anselm has shown the Bible to be true.
Part 2) Could Anselm be disputed? Why or why not? What do these core ideas and Anselm's interpretation of them reveal about the church?
Part 3) How have these core ideas influenced our culture as a whole? Is this good? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
God is passionless, according to St. Anselm.
Part 1) How is passionless? Does he contain compassion? Why or why not? Do you agree with Anselm? Why or why not?
Part 2) Is it a positive thing that God is passionless? Why or why not?
Part 3) Have you been passionless in your life? If so, when and why? How did it affect your actions? If not, why not?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)