|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. God and His idea of Himself exist as what?
2. Humans were created primarily to do what?
3. Chapter two points out that only who would not believe in God?
4. All beings others than God exist through whom?
5. Will anything exist before or after Him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chapter 3 of the Proslogium make?
2. What does Anselm say in Chapter 1?
3. To what is God identical?
4. What do Chapters 4 and 5 argue?
5. Give an example showing why God must exist.
6. How does Anselm dispute Gaunilo's island example?
7. On Gaunilo's view, why does the argument fail?
8. How does Jesus derive existence from God? Why?
9. What does Anselm say about the two types of conceivability?
10. For what have Christians been ridiculed? What is Anselm's response to this?
Essay Topic 1
In the Monologium, Anselm describes and derives God's other properties.
Part 1) What are these other properties? What does Anselm have to say about them? How are they connected to Anselm's beliefs and previously-discussed points?
Part 2) Why was deriving God's existence an important first property to derive? Was Anselm successful? Why or why not?
Part 3) What are two questions you would like to ask about Anselm's deriving of God's properties? How might he answer you? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
God is perfectly just, yet He forgives sinners and has mercy on them.
Part 1) How does Anselm prove that God is perfectly just? Do you agree? Why or why not?
Part 2) Why does Anselm see a contradiction between being just and showing mercy? What does this reveal about him and his culture?
Part 3) How might this contradiction in God compare to gods of other cultures? How does this support Anselm's love of God?
Essay Topic 3
God is passionless, according to St. Anselm.
Part 1) How is passionless? Does he contain compassion? Why or why not? Do you agree with Anselm? Why or why not?
Part 2) Is it a positive thing that God is passionless? Why or why not?
Part 3) Have you been passionless in your life? If so, when and why? How did it affect your actions? If not, why not?
This section contains 2,442 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)