|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what is this Word?
2. God is defined as the being "than which ______________ can be conceived."
3. Humans were created primarily to do what?
4. Through ________ man suffers in misery.
5. God and His Word bear the same relationship to all creation. Do they sustain these relations separately?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is God a substance and also transcends substance?
2. Was the God-man born with original sin? How does this affect Him?
3. What do Chapters 3 and 4 argue?
4. Why must humans be saved?
5. What is known about each human soul?
6. Why does Anselm say that only a fool would not believe in God?
7. What is the only absolutely true thing that can be said about God? What might this mean?
8. On Gaunilo's view, why does the argument fail?
9. Why is Anselm's task of defending the Christian faith not complete?
10. What does Anselm say about the two types of conceivability?
Essay Topic 1
The expression of God consists of only one "Word."
Part 1) What does Anselm mean by this? How is this "Word" a thing, according to Anselm? How is the "Word" like "Himself?"
Part 2) How does the "Word" create the world? What is the connection between the "Word" and Jesus Christ?
Part 3) What are your thoughts on this belief regarding the "Word?" Does Anselm well-support this belief? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
St. Anselm explains the concept of God.
Part 1) What is the concept of God? How does he support this concept?
Part 2) Do you agree with Anselm's concept of God? Why or why not? Does understanding the concept of God force one to believe in Him? Why or why not?
Part 3) What are two other main points that Anselm explains about God? How are they each related to the concept of God?
Essay Topic 3
Anselm disputes Gaunilo's island example.
Part 1) What is Gaunilo's island example? Why does Anselm dispute it?
Part 2) Do you agree with Anselm or Gaunilo regarding the "lost island?" Why?
Part 3) What is the connection between Anselm's beliefs about Gaunilo's "lost island" and one's ability to conceive?
This section contains 2,215 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)