|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Everything God created existed in one sense already. How?
2. Is this "Word" the same substance as Himself?
3. The first man, Adam, discarded a state of unity with God which was __________ to keep.
4. God is defined as the being "than which ______________ can be conceived."
5. Chapter thirty-six explains that God creates and knows His creation in what kind of manner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why does God lack feelings of emotions? Of what else is he also incapable?
2. What does Anselm say about existence and the creation of beings?
3. What does Chapter 15 argue?
4. What do Chapters 1 through 6 describe?
5. What does Chapter 3 of the Proslogium make?
6. What does Anselm say about God's properties as Father and Son?
7. How is Chapter 4 connected to Chapters 1 and 2?
8. How does Jesus derive existence from God? Why?
9. What does Chapter 6 maintain?
10. Can God, according to Anselm, create from nothing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anselm explains how Christ was free to sin but was sinless and died and suffered happily.
Part 1) How and why was he free to sin? Why did he not sin? What does this reveal about sin?
Part 2) Are humans able to be sinless and die happily? Why or why not? How different would the world be if this occurred in man today?
Part 3) Is sin a choice? Can sin be avoided? How much control does one have over his or her actions and emotions?
Essay Topic 2
God is passionless, according to St. Anselm.
Part 1) How is passionless? Does he contain compassion? Why or why not? Do you agree with Anselm? Why or why not?
Part 2) Is it a positive thing that God is passionless? Why or why not?
Part 3) Have you been passionless in your life? If so, when and why? How did it affect your actions? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Anselm disputes Gaunilo's island example.
Part 1) What is Gaunilo's island example? Why does Anselm dispute it?
Part 2) Do you agree with Anselm or Gaunilo regarding the "lost island?" Why?
Part 3) What is the connection between Anselm's beliefs about Gaunilo's "lost island" and one's ability to conceive?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)