Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what is this Word?
2. God is defined as the being "than which ______________ can be conceived."
3. Humans were created primarily to do what?
4. Through ________ man suffers in misery.
5. God and His Word bear the same relationship to all creation. Do they sustain these relations separately?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is God a substance and also transcends substance?
2. Was the God-man born with original sin? How does this affect Him?
3. What do Chapters 3 and 4 argue?
4. Why must humans be saved?
5. What is known about each human soul?
6. Why does Anselm say that only a fool would not believe in God?
7. What is the only absolutely true thing that can be said about God? What might this mean?
8. On Gaunilo's view, why does the argument fail?
9. Why is Anselm's task of defending the Christian faith not complete?
10. What does Anselm say about the two types of conceivability?
Anselm disputes Gaunilo's island example.
Part 1) What is Gaunilo's island example? Why does Anselm dispute it?
Part 2) Do you agree with Anselm or Gaunilo regarding the "lost island?" Why?
Part 3) What is the connection between Anselm's beliefs about Gaunilo's "lost island" and one's ability to conceive?
Anselm concludes that he has shown how the core ideas of the Old and New Testaments are true.
Part 1) Give four ways that Anselm has shown the Bible to be true.
Part 2) Could Anselm be disputed? Why or why not? What do these core ideas and Anselm's interpretation of them reveal about the church?
Part 3) How have these core ideas influenced our culture as a whole? Is this good? Why or why not?
God is passionless, according to St. Anselm.
Part 1) How is passionless? Does he contain compassion? Why or why not? Do you agree with Anselm? Why or why not?
Part 2) Is it a positive thing that God is passionless? Why or why not?
Part 3) Have you been passionless in your life? If so, when and why? How did it affect your actions? If not, why not?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)