|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Will anything exist before or after Him?
2. As what does the Word exist?
3. We can understand aspects of Him, but we cannot do what?
4. Through ________ man suffers in misery.
5. Anselm argues that the Word "derives" existence from God through His birth, but not His __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Chapters 59 through 63 describe?
2. Why does Anselm say that only a fool would not believe in God?
3. What does Anselm say about the essence of both Father and Son?
4. How is God a substance? What does Anselm have to say about God as a substance?
5. How does Jesus derive existence from God? Why?
6. Can God, according to Anselm, create from nothing?
7. How is Chapter 4 connected to Chapters 1 and 2?
8. What challenge is raised in Chapter 16 of the Monologium?
9. What does Anselm say about existence and the creation of beings?
10. What does Anselm say about God's properties as Father and Son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
St. Anselm explains the concept of God.
Part 1) What is the concept of God? How does he support this concept?
Part 2) Do you agree with Anselm's concept of God? Why or why not? Does understanding the concept of God force one to believe in Him? Why or why not?
Part 3) What are two other main points that Anselm explains about God? How are they each related to the concept of God?
Essay Topic 2
St. Anselm believes only a fool would not believe in God.
Part 1) Why does he believe this? Does he support this belief with valid responses and hard evidence? Explain.
Part 2) Do you agree with Anselm? Why or why not? What does this belief reveal about Anselm?
Part 3) How might Anselm's upbringing and culture influence this belief?
Essay Topic 3
Anselm disputes Gaunilo's island example.
Part 1) What is Gaunilo's island example? Why does Anselm dispute it?
Part 2) Do you agree with Anselm or Gaunilo regarding the "lost island?" Why?
Part 3) What is the connection between Anselm's beliefs about Gaunilo's "lost island" and one's ability to conceive?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)