|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the answer to number 59 stated in the Old Testament?
2. God's compassion and justice are compatible because through __________________, God will make the wicked good and thus worthy of forgiveness.
3. In chapter seven, Anselm argues that all beings other than God derive their nature from whom?
4. The existence of everything else is caused to be by what?
5. To be God is to be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anselm say about existence and the creation of beings?
2. What is learned about the Holy Spirit?
3. How is Chapter 4 connected to Chapters 1 and 2?
4. How does Jesus derive existence from God? Why?
5. What does Anselm say in Chapter 1?
6. How and why does God lack feelings of emotions? Of what else is he also incapable?
7. How is God a substance and also transcends substance?
8. What does Anselm say about God's properties as Father and Son?
9. What does Anselm say about the two types of conceivability?
10. What is the only absolutely true thing that can be said about God? What might this mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Christ's life pays God for humanity's sins.
Part 1) How does Christ's life do this? Could anyone else's life be capable of paying for humanity's sins? Why or why not?
Part 2) How important are the facts that Christ had the freedom to sin and died happily to his ability to pay God for mankind's sins? Explain.
Part 3) Why has the world not returned to its original state, as with Adam and Eve, if Christ has paid for mankind's sins?
Essay Topic 2
Anselm concludes that he has shown how the core ideas of the Old and New Testaments are true.
Part 1) Give four ways that Anselm has shown the Bible to be true.
Part 2) Could Anselm be disputed? Why or why not? What do these core ideas and Anselm's interpretation of them reveal about the church?
Part 3) How have these core ideas influenced our culture as a whole? Is this good? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
God is passionless, according to St. Anselm.
Part 1) How is passionless? Does he contain compassion? Why or why not? Do you agree with Anselm? Why or why not?
Part 2) Is it a positive thing that God is passionless? Why or why not?
Part 3) Have you been passionless in your life? If so, when and why? How did it affect your actions? If not, why not?
This section contains 1,404 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)