|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the document by Anselm?
(a) His reply to Gaunilo's argument.
(b) Jesus, the Island.
(c) In Behalf of the Fool.
(d) The greatest conceivable island.
2. What must we understand?
(a) Why He was born of a virgin and had to die.
(b) Why God became man and why He was resurrected.
(c) How God became man, why He did it and why He had to die and be resurrected.
(d) How God became man and why He had to die.
3. We must be aware that each human soul is ________________ and so will be either completely happy or completely unhappy.
4. Why does God do what He does in the answer to number 99?
(a) He is blessed all the more.
(b) He hates to see us in pain.
(c) He loves making people.
(d) He is happy.
5. The island Gaunilo describes is greater than an island with all of the Island's properties save what?
6. Chapters four and five argue that God must complete His original plan to do what?
(a) Bring about man's enjoyment of Him.
(b) Bring about man's ability to serve Him.
(c) Show man how to fear Him.
(d) Encourage man to have fun.
7. Man would never have ________ unless he sinned.
8. What is a being with all of God's properties missing?
9. He must be born of a woman. Why?
(a) So God would know what it was like to have a son.
(b) So he could be on earth, first, as a baby.
(c) Otherwise, He would be disconnected from a human lineage.
(d) So others would trust Him.
10. God must exist. Why?
(a) If He did not, the world would be in chaos.
(b) If He did not, He would not be the greatest conceivable being.
(c) If He did not, we would not exist.
(d) If He did not, we have not purpose for living.
11. The book is divided up into two, the first of which addresses what problem?
(a) Why so few humans believe in sin.
(b) What God might have
(c) Why atonement needs to occur, and how it could occur if it were to occur.
(d) How mankind came to be so deep in sin.
12. God can be properly called what, in regards to the Trinity?
(b) Both three and one.
(c) All in One.
(d) Three inequal parts.
13. To what is Gaunilo's piece a response?
(a) Anselm's ontological argument in the Proslogium.
(b) Anselm's ontological argument in the Monologium.
(c) Anselm's ontological argument in the Cur Deus Homo.
(d) Anselm's ontological argument in the Greatest Conceivable Island.
14. Chapter two has Boso argue that while belief by faith must ___________ belief due to reason, faith should still seek understanding.
(a) Occur at the same time as.
(b) Be more important.
15. How is atonement possible?
(a) Through apologies.
(b) Through God's mercy.
(c) Through prayer.
(d) Through good works.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter five maintains that only God could redeem humanity. Why?
2. The Appendix of Anselm: Basic Writings contains how many documents?
3. Can multiple persons incarnate as one person?
4. God is greater than what?
5. Chapter nine emphasizes that only who within the Trinity can take on the nature of man?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)