|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can we as humans not win back our salvation?
(a) We do not deserve salvation.
(b) We are too weak.
(c) We are so corrupt.
(d) We do not want our salvation.
2. In chapter seven, Anselm argues that all beings other than God derive their nature from whom?
(d) Other gods.
3. Chapter five argues that this being must exist through what?
(b) Gods and men.
(c) Human beings.
4. Anselm's arguments will be consistent with what?
(a) Some Christian denominations.
(b) Other arguments.
(c) Most views.
(d) Christian tradition.
5. Chapters twenty-five through twenty-nine discuss the fact that God is an unchanging ____________.
6. Chapter two points out that only who would not believe in God?
(b) The smart.
(c) A fool.
(d) Fallen angels.
7. Chapter eight explains how God can be compassionate but also lack what?
(a) The feeling of compassion.
8. This being is the best of all beings for what reason?
(a) It is the smartest of all beings.
(b) It is the most compassionate of all beings.
(c) It is the best of all beings.
(d) It is the source of all being.
9. Anselm begins the Proslogium in the preface by stating his dissatisfaction with _______________ and his rationale for writing the Proslogium.
(a) The Duologium.
(b) The Triologium.
(c) The Proslogium.
(d) The Monologium.
10. In chapter forty-one we discover that God "begets" in the most perfect and true way but is also __________ in the most perfect and true way.
11. The first man, Adam, discarded a state of unity with God which was __________ to keep.
(d) Somewhat difficult.
12. We can understand aspects of Him, but we cannot do what?
(a) Listen to Him.
(b) Make connections between those aspects.
(c) Love aspects of Him.
(d) Understand Him in his totality.
13. Anselm knows what he believes, but he also wants to know what?
(a) Why it is true.
(b) Why he believes it.
(c) Whether he should believe it.
(d) What he does not believe.
14. Is this "Word" the same substance as Himself?
15. Humans were created primarily to do what?
(d) See God.
Short Answer Questions
1. God has how many ultimate descriptions?
2. The existence of everything else is caused to be by what?
3. God and His Word bear the same relationship to all creation. Do they sustain these relations separately?
4. Anselm argues that the Word "derives" existence from God through His birth, but not His __________.
5. The _______________ of dignity and existence of all things comes in degrees.
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)