|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. God's conception of Himself and His relation to the world is The Word that has always existed where?
(a) With Him.
(b) Near Him.
(c) Far from Him.
(d) In front of Him.
2. Men should not expect to understand Him until he has lived with his belief for how long?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) A short time.
(c) Some time.
(d) A lifetime.
3. The first man, Adam, discarded a state of unity with God which was __________ to keep.
(b) Somewhat difficult.
4. God is identical with what?
(b) His own life.
5. Chapters one and two argue that a being which is "best, and greatest and highest of all existing beings" _________ exist.
(b) Do not.
6. All beings others than God exist through whom?
(a) Other gods.
7. Chapters eighteen through twenty-four describe God's what?
(a) Love and kindness.
(b) Desire for justice.
(c) Eternality and omnipresence.
(d) Inability to feel compassion.
8. How is the answer to number 59 stated in the Old Testament?
(a) I AM BELIEVED BY ALL.
(b) I AM THE ONLY GOD.
(c) I AM UNDERSTANDING.
(d) I AM WHO I AM.
9. Chapter forty-nine begins the explanation of the third element of the Trinity. What is this third element?
(a) Jesus Christ.
(b) The Holy Spirit.
(d) The angels.
10. In chapter forty-one we discover that God "begets" in the most perfect and true way but is also __________ in the most perfect and true way.
11. This _________ contains all ideals; this being is God.
12. This being is the best of all beings for what reason?
(a) It is the source of all being.
(b) It is the most compassionate of all beings.
(c) It is the best of all beings.
(d) It is the smartest of all beings.
13. Chapter sixteen raises a challenge: since God is equivalent to all his properties, can't we understand God when we understand these properties? How does Anselm respond?
(a) He believes this to be true.
(b) He denies this to be true.
(c) He will test this to see if it is true.
(d) He is not sure if this is true.
14. On Anselm's view, when we do not ______________ the concept of God, only then can we conceive of Him not existing.
15. We can only ascribe certain properties to God within what?
(a) His understanding.
(b) Our understanding.
(d) The Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. We cannot even do what without His help?
2. Will anything exist before or after Him?
3. When we compare two objects, we must implicitly rely on what?
4. Can two objects both possess goodness, but to differing degrees?
5. God's idea of Himself is equivalent to what?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)