|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the core reason or feeling why Paris does not go with his father?
2. What literary device is John's story of his struggle to save the drowning sailor best described as?
3. What essentially trigger's Paris to decline his father's offer to leave together?
4. Is Mollie awake when Philip leaves?
5. How does Mollie react when she learns what her ex-husband had intended to do just hours before his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the tone and mood of The Square Root of Wonderful. What does the authors attitude imply? Discuss the elements of pessimism, optimism, earnestness, bitterness, joy, and seriousness that are embedded in the play. Discuss the choice of objects, details, images, and words that contribute to the mood of a play. Explain your answer by using specific scenes and characters.
Essay Topic 2
The allure of security is a driving force in the plot development of The Square Root of Wonderful. How important is security in a marriage or relationship in the present day? How important was the role of security in a marriage or relationship in the 1950s? Discuss how love and marriage differ in terms of needs and desires now versus then, weaving in security and safety in your response.
Essay Topic 3
The way the Lovejoys express their love is different for each character. Sometimes we are unaware that someone is trying to love us because they are going about it in a way we are not accustomed to. Discuss the love relationships between Mollie and Philip, between Sister and Philip, and between Paris and Philip. In what ways was love shown outwardly and in what ways was it hidden and how did this show of love affect the well being of each character?
This section contains 1,408 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)