|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is covering the furnishings in Paris's house after his father's death?
2. What is the best word to describe the scene between father and son when it becomes clear that Philip intends to kill himself?
3. Who has Mother Lovejoy transfered her affection to now that Philip has passed?
4. What is the story that John tells when relating to Paris's story regarding his father?
5. What is Paris's answer to his father's idea to leave together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Man versus Self internal conflict of Philip Lovejoy. In what ways does he serve as his own worst enemy? In what ways has he turned down all offers of help for success? In what ways is he a friend to himself? Include 3 pieces textual evidence in your response.
Essay Topic 2
There is a fine line between genius and madness. Discuss how artistic genius can also be a curse. Include examples in history as pieces of evidence. Then, discuss how the character of Philip is a archetypal blueprint of a jaded artist. Include two pieces of dialogue in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The allure of security is a driving force in the plot development of The Square Root of Wonderful. How important is security in a marriage or relationship in the present day? How important was the role of security in a marriage or relationship in the 1950s? Discuss how love and marriage differ in terms of needs and desires now versus then, weaving in security and safety in your response.
This section contains 1,414 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)