|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mollie feel the new house will do to the relationship she has with John?
2. What does John talk about that brightens the mood of both Mollie and Paris?
3. How does Paris respond to his father's idea of leaving?
4. Is Mollie awake when Philip leaves?
5. What is Philip ultimately seeking as he is making his escape and intending to end his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The allure of security is a driving force in the plot development of The Square Root of Wonderful. How important is security in a marriage or relationship in the present day? How important was the role of security in a marriage or relationship in the 1950s? Discuss how love and marriage differ in terms of needs and desires now versus then, weaving in security and safety in your response.
Essay Topic 2
There is a fine line between genius and madness. Discuss how artistic genius can also be a curse. Include examples in history as pieces of evidence. Then, discuss how the character of Philip is a archetypal blueprint of a jaded artist. Include two pieces of dialogue in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the element of foreshadowing in The Square Root of Wonderful? How many times is foreshadowing used and is it a powerful tool for the reader to better understand the characters and plot of the play? Give examples of foreshadowing in your answer.
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)