|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mother Lovejoy show that Paris is now the one she will love the most?
2. What characteristic does Paris give in explanation to Hattie regarding the talk of possible suicide?
3. Who is the only one that can reach Philip?
4. Who does Mother Lovejoy say will inherit her estate when she dies?
5. Upon hearing the news of Mollie's packing, what does Philip want Paris to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the time and setting of the play and how the setting has a direct impact on the characters. Name the historical prototypes that are used in the play and describe how the characters represent the time in history in which the play is set. Also, include an analysis of the farmhouse and how it relates to the plot of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and Contrast the characters of John Tucker and Philip Lovejoy. Include the ironies of their lives, including where they come from and who they have become. Discuss how their characters pull different, yet equally powerful emotions out of Mollie. Finally, include Mollie as the driving force of their decisions in your essay. Use 3 pieces of textual evidence in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the protagonist, antagonist and foil in 'The Square Root of Wonderful?" Explain your reasoning for choosing each character and give examples from the text, including scenes that define these characters in their roles. Next, name the flat, or two-dimensional characters and how they lack depth. Then discuss how the play works because of the synergy of the entire cast.
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)