|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character tries most to console Mollie in her most desperate, grieving time?
2. What does Mother Lovejoy claim the taxi cab driver will do that will be disturbing to Mollie and is the reason why they should chose another mode of transportation?
3. What is Philip's rationale for escaping with Paris?
4. What does Philip recall in response to Paris's outdoor plans for the day?
5. What is the main realiziation that Philip has that pushes him over the edge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Man versus Society conflict that is created through the character of Philip and his doomed and fated career as a writer. How is society at fault, or at partial fault for Philip's demise? Could Philip have turned his life around, despite the societal ramifications? Include the sanatorium, the failed marriage, the failed writing career - all of which put Philip in poor social standing. Explain your answer by using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of success. Provide a definition and include the examples of powerful and successful people in history. Then, using this base, discuss how Philip' emotional health may have been affected by his success, and then his lack thereof. How has success served him, and how has it hindered his relationships? Include textual references in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the crisis of The Square Root of Wonderful? Describe the moment when the conflict reaches a turning point and the opposing forces in the story meet. This is the time when the conflict becomes the most intense. Use specific scenes from the play and be sure to point out specific characters and dialogue.
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)