|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John believe is the basis for his calculations of all human conditions?
2. Who does Mother Lovejoy say will inherit her estate when she dies?
3. What does the covered furniture symbolize?
4. With Mollie's bags packed, what does Mollie intend to do?
5. What is the best word to describe the scene between father and son when it becomes clear that Philip intends to kill himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Paris and John Tucker. In what was is John becoming a father figure to Paris? In what ways is John different from Philip in his fathering techniques? In what ways is Philip different from John when it comes to fostering Paris's emotional well being. Is John's influence enough to sustain Paris or is Philip's presence necessary to his raising? Use textual evidence to support your findings.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the act of suicide in The Square Root of Wonderful. We know that Paris mentions that suicide is weakness. However, when someone is on the edge of despair where no rational thought takes place, could it be considered a sickness or a form of relief? Does Philip's suicide bring the family closer together or does it split them further apart. Does it serve it's purpose or is it the ultimate tragedy?
Essay Topic 3
There is a fine line between genius and madness. Discuss how artistic genius can also be a curse. Include examples in history as pieces of evidence. Then, discuss how the character of Philip is a archetypal blueprint of a jaded artist. Include two pieces of dialogue in your answer.
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)