|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mollie react when she learns what her ex-husband had intended to do just hours before his death?
2. What is Mollie the most grateful for after Philip's death?
3. What is the best word to describe the scene between father and son when it becomes clear that Philip intends to kill himself?
4. When does Philip wake after his last tirade?
5. Where is Philip by the time Mollie rises?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and Contrast the characters of John Tucker and Philip Lovejoy. Include the ironies of their lives, including where they come from and who they have become. Discuss how their characters pull different, yet equally powerful emotions out of Mollie. Finally, include Mollie as the driving force of their decisions in your essay. Use 3 pieces of textual evidence in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
What are the implications of the falling action and resolution (or denouement ) of the play? How has the character of Mollie changed? How has the Lovejoy family accepted changed into their life? In what ways was the resolution inevitable?
Essay Topic 3
The allure of security is a driving force in the plot development of The Square Root of Wonderful. How important is security in a marriage or relationship in the present day? How important was the role of security in a marriage or relationship in the 1950s? Discuss how love and marriage differ in terms of needs and desires now versus then, weaving in security and safety in your response.
This section contains 1,410 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)