|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Philip ultimately seeking as he is making his escape and intending to end his life?
2. Who does Mollie blame for Philip's death?
3. What characteristic does Paris give in explanation to Hattie regarding the talk of possible suicide?
4. What does Mother Lovejoy have tremendous distaste for in terms of the expression of emotions?
5. What does Paris think that all the talk of the new house sounds like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the act of suicide in The Square Root of Wonderful. We know that Paris mentions that suicide is weakness. However, when someone is on the edge of despair where no rational thought takes place, could it be considered a sickness or a form of relief? Does Philip's suicide bring the family closer together or does it split them further apart. Does it serve it's purpose or is it the ultimate tragedy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of success. Provide a definition and include the examples of powerful and successful people in history. Then, using this base, discuss how Philip' emotional health may have been affected by his success, and then his lack thereof. How has success served him, and how has it hindered his relationships? Include textual references in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Man versus Self internal conflict of Philip Lovejoy. In what ways does he serve as his own worst enemy? In what ways has he turned down all offers of help for success? In what ways is he a friend to himself? Include 3 pieces textual evidence in your response.
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)