Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does John think Mollie must choose to save from a similar fate as Philip?
2. What is Paris's answer to his father's idea to leave together?
3. Upon hearing the news of Mollie's packing, what does Philip want Paris to do?
4. Where does Philip tell Paris he intends to go with him?
5. What will John provide for his new family that Philip was unable to provide?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Man versus Society conflict that is created through the character of Philip and his doomed and fated career as a writer. How is society at fault, or at partial fault for Philip's demise? Could Philip have turned his life around, despite the societal ramifications? Include the sanatorium, the failed marriage, the failed writing career - all of which put Philip in poor social standing. Explain your answer by using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What is the crisis of The Square Root of Wonderful? Describe the moment when the conflict reaches a turning point and the opposing forces in the story meet. This is the time when the conflict becomes the most intense. Use specific scenes from the play and be sure to point out specific characters and dialogue.
Essay Topic 3
What are the implications of the falling action and resolution (or denouement ) of the play? How has the character of Mollie changed? How has the Lovejoy family accepted changed into their life? In what ways was the resolution inevitable?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)