|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Paris respond to his father's idea of leaving?
2. What essentially trigger's Paris to decline his father's offer to leave together?
3. What characteristic does Paris give in explanation to Hattie regarding the talk of possible suicide?
4. Who serves as the main voice of reason for Mollie during her grief?
5. How does Mollie react to Paris's "square root of wonderful?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the act of suicide in The Square Root of Wonderful. We know that Paris mentions that suicide is weakness. However, when someone is on the edge of despair where no rational thought takes place, could it be considered a sickness or a form of relief? Does Philip's suicide bring the family closer together or does it split them further apart. Does it serve it's purpose or is it the ultimate tragedy?
Essay Topic 2
What is the crisis of The Square Root of Wonderful? Describe the moment when the conflict reaches a turning point and the opposing forces in the story meet. This is the time when the conflict becomes the most intense. Use specific scenes from the play and be sure to point out specific characters and dialogue.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of success. Provide a definition and include the examples of powerful and successful people in history. Then, using this base, discuss how Philip' emotional health may have been affected by his success, and then his lack thereof. How has success served him, and how has it hindered his relationships? Include textual references in your answer.
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)