|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John's profession of an architect a metaphor of?
2. What does Paris confess and confirm that Philip wanted to do with Paris the morning he left?
3. What was Mollie thinking at the moment of Philip's death that, because of their strong connection, she knows Philip knew about?
4. What does Mother Lovejoy claim the taxi cab driver will do that will be disturbing to Mollie and is the reason why they should chose another mode of transportation?
5. What is the best phrase to describe Philip's perception of his world during this dark time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Man versus Self internal conflict of Philip Lovejoy. In what ways does he serve as his own worst enemy? In what ways has he turned down all offers of help for success? In what ways is he a friend to himself? Include 3 pieces textual evidence in your response.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism in the play? How is the symbolism brought forth to the reader? Describe how the white covered furniture is a symbol. Discuss how the symbolism housed within the play is a direct element to the unfolding of the play. Use three examples of symbolism and their affect on the characters in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the act of suicide in The Square Root of Wonderful. We know that Paris mentions that suicide is weakness. However, when someone is on the edge of despair where no rational thought takes place, could it be considered a sickness or a form of relief? Does Philip's suicide bring the family closer together or does it split them further apart. Does it serve it's purpose or is it the ultimate tragedy?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)