|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip consider the power of love to be?
2. Why is Mollie the square root of wonderful?
3. What does Mollie feel the new house will do to the relationship she has with John?
4. What does Philip now see love and nature to be?
5. What does Mother Lovejoy claim the taxi cab driver will do that will be disturbing to Mollie and is the reason why they should chose another mode of transportation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the crisis of The Square Root of Wonderful? Describe the moment when the conflict reaches a turning point and the opposing forces in the story meet. This is the time when the conflict becomes the most intense. Use specific scenes from the play and be sure to point out specific characters and dialogue.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Man versus Self internal conflict of Philip Lovejoy. In what ways does he serve as his own worst enemy? In what ways has he turned down all offers of help for success? In what ways is he a friend to himself? Include 3 pieces textual evidence in your response.
Essay Topic 3
There is a fine line between genius and madness. Discuss how artistic genius can also be a curse. Include examples in history as pieces of evidence. Then, discuss how the character of Philip is a archetypal blueprint of a jaded artist. Include two pieces of dialogue in your answer.
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)