|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mollie the square root of wonderful?
2. What has Mother Lovejoy chosen to use as a form of transportation as opposed to a taxi to get to the train station?
3. What will the family remember most about Philip?
4. Who serves as the main voice of reason for Mollie during her grief?
5. What is the story that John tells when relating to Paris's story regarding his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the time and setting of the play and how the setting has a direct impact on the characters. Name the historical prototypes that are used in the play and describe how the characters represent the time in history in which the play is set. Also, include an analysis of the farmhouse and how it relates to the plot of the play.
Essay Topic 2
What is the theme of "The Square Root of Wonderful?" What is the main idea or underlying meaning? It may be stated or implied but it is an idea the author returns to time and again and is the most important idea in the story. Explain your answer by sharing the feelings of the main character, the thoughts and conversations he has, the actions and events of the story, and what the characters ultimately learn.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the tone and mood of The Square Root of Wonderful. What does the authors attitude imply? Discuss the elements of pessimism, optimism, earnestness, bitterness, joy, and seriousness that are embedded in the play. Discuss the choice of objects, details, images, and words that contribute to the mood of a play. Explain your answer by using specific scenes and characters.
This section contains 1,431 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)