|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mollie react when she learns what her ex-husband had intended to do just hours before his death?
2. Which character tries most to console Mollie in her most desperate, grieving time?
3. What does the state of the furniture in Paris's house make it look like the family is in the throws of?
4. What does Mother Lovejoy have tremendous distaste for in terms of the expression of emotions?
5. Which character is the most capable of showing personal affection as seen especially in Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a fine line between genius and madness. Discuss how artistic genius can also be a curse. Include examples in history as pieces of evidence. Then, discuss how the character of Philip is a archetypal blueprint of a jaded artist. Include two pieces of dialogue in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the crisis of The Square Root of Wonderful? Describe the moment when the conflict reaches a turning point and the opposing forces in the story meet. This is the time when the conflict becomes the most intense. Use specific scenes from the play and be sure to point out specific characters and dialogue.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of success. Provide a definition and include the examples of powerful and successful people in history. Then, using this base, discuss how Philip' emotional health may have been affected by his success, and then his lack thereof. How has success served him, and how has it hindered his relationships? Include textual references in your answer.
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)