|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mollie and Philip do the day they met?
2. If Philip were to re-marry Mollie, how would Mother Lovejoy benefit?
3. What quality does Mollie possess that Sister does not and is the reason why Sister remains single?
4. What quality of Philip has served as the backdrop for the tumultuous lives of his family?
5. According to John, what is humiliation the same as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is John trying to figure out about the relationship between Mollie and Philip?
2. What does Paris's friend Hattie think of Philip?
3. How is John is the voice of reason for Mollie?
4. What do Mother Lovejoy and Sister subtlety attempt to sway Mollie into doing?
5. How has Mollie taken the news of Philip's death?
6. Describe the realization that has put Philip over the edge?
7. What is Philip's rationale for leaving before dawn?
8. Describe the background of Philip Lovejoy.
9. What does Mollie now know for sure about John and their love that the people in her life helped her understand?
10. What is the point of tension about when Philip and John meet for the first time over dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Man versus Self internal conflict of Philip Lovejoy. In what ways does he serve as his own worst enemy? In what ways has he turned down all offers of help for success? In what ways is he a friend to himself? Include 3 pieces textual evidence in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of foreshadowing in The Square Root of Wonderful? How many times is foreshadowing used and is it a powerful tool for the reader to better understand the characters and plot of the play? Give examples of foreshadowing in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and Contrast the roles of Sister and Mother Lovejoy. In which ways are the ladies alike in their thinking regarding Philip? In which ways are they different? Is one woman more of an enabler than the other? Explain your answer and use evidence from the text.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)