|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to John, what is humiliation the same as?
2. What quality does John have that Philip does not that keeps John on a steady path?
3. What does John's profession symbolize to Mollie?
4. What does John confess his ex-wife did that destroyed their marriage and John's faith in marriage?
5. What quality does Philip display as equally as his madness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is John trying to figure out about the relationship between Mollie and Philip?
2. What is Paris's reaction to the fact that his mother picked up a stranger off the side of the road and that John has fallen for her?
3. What does John consider to be a betrayal?
4. What happened while Philip was away that affected Paris's emotions and needs?
5. What does Philip recall about his boyhood?
6. What does Mollie now know for sure about John and their love that the people in her life helped her understand?
7. What does Mother Lovejoy offer to Paris now that his father has passed?
8. What is the first thing Philip wants Paris to do when he wakes up?
9. Describe the nightmare that Paris has in the beginning of the play?
10. How does Paris react to Hattie's questions and curiosity about Philip Lovejoy's suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Paris and John Tucker. In what was is John becoming a father figure to Paris? In what ways is John different from Philip in his fathering techniques? In what ways is Philip different from John when it comes to fostering Paris's emotional well being. Is John's influence enough to sustain Paris or is Philip's presence necessary to his raising? Use textual evidence to support your findings.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Man versus Self internal conflict of Philip Lovejoy. In what ways does he serve as his own worst enemy? In what ways has he turned down all offers of help for success? In what ways is he a friend to himself? Include 3 pieces textual evidence in your response.
Essay Topic 3
What is the theme of "The Square Root of Wonderful?" What is the main idea or underlying meaning? It may be stated or implied but it is an idea the author returns to time and again and is the most important idea in the story. Explain your answer by sharing the feelings of the main character, the thoughts and conversations he has, the actions and events of the story, and what the characters ultimately learn.
This section contains 1,779 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)