|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Philip have questions about the moment he arrives home?
2. What is slowly happening to Philip's family as he continues to display anger and engage in violent outbursts?
3. What does Philip employ as a winning strategy when he tells Mollie that he will die if she leaves him?
4. What quality does Mollie possess that Sister does not and is the reason why Sister remains single?
5. Where did Mollie meet her new love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mother Lovejoy offer to Paris now that his father has passed?
2. What is the point of tension about when Philip and John meet for the first time over dinner?
3. Where did Mollie find John?
4. What is the first thing Philip wants Paris to do when he wakes up?
5. What happens when Mollie announces to Philip that she plans to leave with John?
6. What does Paris's friend Hattie think of Philip?
7. What is Mollie horror-stricken about?
8. How does Mollie react to John's question?
9. How does Mollie believe Philip died?
10. What is the primary reason why Philip wants to take Paris with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the confusion of the character of Mollie in terms of the decision she must make between John and Philip. Why is she is love with John? What does John provide that Philip does not? In what ways is Philip a perfect match for her? In what ways is Philip the wrong person for her to re-marry? Finally, how will her decision affect Paris?
Essay Topic 2
Family obligation is a heavy burden for many people. Mollie is passionate over Philip, but also feels a commitment to him because of their past and because of her obvious involvement with his family. Discuss how family obligation can sometimes blind us from our true hearts desire and can serve as the ultimate obstacle to happiness because of the weight of responsibility. How does Mollie represent that weight? Use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism in the play? How is the symbolism brought forth to the reader? Describe how the white covered furniture is a symbol. Discuss how the symbolism housed within the play is a direct element to the unfolding of the play. Use three examples of symbolism and their affect on the characters in your response.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)