|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the rumors in town regarding Philip?
2. What happened as a result of Mollie and Philip's first romantic encounter?
3. What needs to be reconciled in order for John and Mollie to begin building a new life for the two of them?
4. What quality of Philip has served as the backdrop for the tumultuous lives of his family?
5. What does Philip admit to Mollie that he needs and can't go on living without?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Philip want Paris to get dressed?
2. How has Mother Lovejoy attempted to help Mollie get to the train station?
3. What does Philip apologize to Paris about during their talk?
4. Where does the play take place?
5. Describe the background of Philip Lovejoy.
6. What does Mollie now know for sure about John and their love that the people in her life helped her understand?
7. How is John is the voice of reason for Mollie?
8. What is the first thing Philip wants Paris to do when he wakes up?
9. What does Mother Lovejoy offer to Paris now that his father has passed?
10. How does Hattie react to seeing Philip back home for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the protagonist, antagonist and foil in 'The Square Root of Wonderful?" Explain your reasoning for choosing each character and give examples from the text, including scenes that define these characters in their roles. Next, name the flat, or two-dimensional characters and how they lack depth. Then discuss how the play works because of the synergy of the entire cast.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism in the play? How is the symbolism brought forth to the reader? Describe how the white covered furniture is a symbol. Discuss how the symbolism housed within the play is a direct element to the unfolding of the play. Use three examples of symbolism and their affect on the characters in your response.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Man versus Self internal conflict of Philip Lovejoy. In what ways does he serve as his own worst enemy? In what ways has he turned down all offers of help for success? In what ways is he a friend to himself? Include 3 pieces textual evidence in your response.
This section contains 1,787 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)