|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the best description for the relationship between Mollie and Philip?
2. Why does Mollie always take Philip back, despite his violent tendencies?
3. What needs to be reconciled in order for John and Mollie to begin building a new life for the two of them?
4. Who has Mollie recently fallen in love with?
5. How does John describe the act of someone hurting your feelings to Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What becomes clear to be the main reason Philip wants to take Paris with him?
2. How does Paris react to Hattie's mention of the word "suicide" in the same sentence as his father's name?
3. Describe how Philip looks when he is talking to Paris about leaving?
4. What is Mollie horror-stricken about?
5. What happens as a result of Philip's outburst of violence?
6. How has Mollie taken the news of Philip's death?
7. How does Mollie react to Sister's blatant question of whether or not she loves Philip and if she plans to marry him for the third time?
8. What does Mother Lovejoy want Mollie to do and how does she want Mollie to act regarding her relationship with Philip?
9. Why are men attracted to Mollie and not attracted to Sister?
10. What are the blueprints that Paris carries from the barn into the house going to be used for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of success. Provide a definition and include the examples of powerful and successful people in history. Then, using this base, discuss how Philip' emotional health may have been affected by his success, and then his lack thereof. How has success served him, and how has it hindered his relationships? Include textual references in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the confusion of the character of Mollie in terms of the decision she must make between John and Philip. Why is she is love with John? What does John provide that Philip does not? In what ways is Philip a perfect match for her? In what ways is Philip the wrong person for her to re-marry? Finally, how will her decision affect Paris?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the act of suicide in The Square Root of Wonderful. We know that Paris mentions that suicide is weakness. However, when someone is on the edge of despair where no rational thought takes place, could it be considered a sickness or a form of relief? Does Philip's suicide bring the family closer together or does it split them further apart. Does it serve it's purpose or is it the ultimate tragedy?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)