|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bores Philip as he is talking with Mollie after his stay in the sanatorium?
2. How does Molly respond to John's desire to commit to her?
3. How long has Mollie known her new love?
4. What does Paris confide in John that he has not confided in his father?
5. How does Mollie react to the sudden and unexpected presence of Philip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Hattie's comments regarding the white coverings over the furnishings?
2. Describe the conversation that takes place between father and son when Philip returns home?
3. Who is Sister and what does she do?
4. Where did Mollie find John?
5. How does Philip describe his time at the sanatorium?
6. How does Philip talk and feel about love and nature now?
7. How does Mollie believe Philip died?
8. What is Paris's reaction to the fact that his mother picked up a stranger off the side of the road and that John has fallen for her?
9. How does Mollie react to John's question?
10. What reason does Paris give his father as to why he cannot go with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the confusion of the character of Mollie in terms of the decision she must make between John and Philip. Why is she is love with John? What does John provide that Philip does not? In what ways is Philip a perfect match for her? In what ways is Philip the wrong person for her to re-marry? Finally, how will her decision affect Paris?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Man versus Self internal conflict of Philip Lovejoy. In what ways does he serve as his own worst enemy? In what ways has he turned down all offers of help for success? In what ways is he a friend to himself? Include 3 pieces textual evidence in your response.
Essay Topic 3
What are the implications of the falling action and resolution (or denouement ) of the play? How has the character of Mollie changed? How has the Lovejoy family accepted changed into their life? In what ways was the resolution inevitable?
This section contains 1,748 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)