|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip believe his artistic brilliance to be?
2. What is the main way the character of Sister is different from the character of Philip?
3. In the past, what did those who loved Philip tend to do immediately following an outburst of violence or anger?
4. What does John ask Mollie when he meets up with her in the house?
5. What does Philip say he will do if Mollie leaves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Philip return to the farmhouse before he is expected?
2. Why does Philip want Paris to get dressed?
3. What is John trying to figure out about the relationship between Mollie and Philip?
4. Where did Mollie find John?
5. Where does Philip tell Paris they will go?
6. What happened while Philip was away that affected Paris's emotions and needs?
7. What are Mollie and Paris planning to do now that Philip is dead?
8. Who is Sister and what does she do?
9. Why are men attracted to Mollie and not attracted to Sister?
10. Where does the play take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the protagonist, antagonist and foil in 'The Square Root of Wonderful?" Explain your reasoning for choosing each character and give examples from the text, including scenes that define these characters in their roles. Next, name the flat, or two-dimensional characters and how they lack depth. Then discuss how the play works because of the synergy of the entire cast.
Essay Topic 2
The allure of security is a driving force in the plot development of The Square Root of Wonderful. How important is security in a marriage or relationship in the present day? How important was the role of security in a marriage or relationship in the 1950s? Discuss how love and marriage differ in terms of needs and desires now versus then, weaving in security and safety in your response.
Essay Topic 3
The way the Lovejoys express their love is different for each character. Sometimes we are unaware that someone is trying to love us because they are going about it in a way we are not accustomed to. Discuss the love relationships between Mollie and Philip, between Sister and Philip, and between Paris and Philip. In what ways was love shown outwardly and in what ways was it hidden and how did this show of love affect the well being of each character?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)