Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John's profession symbolize to Mollie?
2. What does John think Philip has done to Mollie to keep her in love with him?
3. Who has Mollie recently fallen in love with?
4. How long has Mollie known her new love?
5. What does Philip employ as a winning strategy when he tells Mollie that he will die if she leaves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of tension about when Philip and John meet for the first time over dinner?
2. What does John consider to be a betrayal?
3. What happened while Philip was away that affected Paris's emotions and needs?
4. How does Mollie react to John's question?
5. What are Hattie's comments regarding the white coverings over the furnishings?
6. Why does Philip want Paris to get dressed?
7. What information does John give Mollie that makes her brighten?
8. How does Paris react to Hattie's questions and curiosity about Philip Lovejoy's suicide?
9. Who is John Tucker?
10. What time does Philip wake?
Essay Topic 1
Family obligation is a heavy burden for many people. Mollie is passionate over Philip, but also feels a commitment to him because of their past and because of her obvious involvement with his family. Discuss how family obligation can sometimes blind us from our true hearts desire and can serve as the ultimate obstacle to happiness because of the weight of responsibility. How does Mollie represent that weight? Use examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
What is the crisis of The Square Root of Wonderful? Describe the moment when the conflict reaches a turning point and the opposing forces in the story meet. This is the time when the conflict becomes the most intense. Use specific scenes from the play and be sure to point out specific characters and dialogue.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the confusion of the character of Mollie in terms of the decision she must make between John and Philip. Why is she is love with John? What does John provide that Philip does not? In what ways is Philip a perfect match for her? In what ways is Philip the wrong person for her to re-marry? Finally, how will her decision affect Paris?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)