Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John's profession symbolize to Mollie?
2. What does John think Philip has done to Mollie to keep her in love with him?
3. Who has Mollie recently fallen in love with?
4. How long has Mollie known her new love?
5. What does Philip employ as a winning strategy when he tells Mollie that he will die if she leaves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of tension about when Philip and John meet for the first time over dinner?
2. What does John consider to be a betrayal?
3. What happened while Philip was away that affected Paris's emotions and needs?
4. How does Mollie react to John's question?
5. What are Hattie's comments regarding the white coverings over the furnishings?
6. Why does Philip want Paris to get dressed?
7. What information does John give Mollie that makes her brighten?
8. How does Paris react to Hattie's questions and curiosity about Philip Lovejoy's suicide?
9. Who is John Tucker?
10. What time does Philip wake?
Compare and Contrast the characters of John Tucker and Philip Lovejoy. Include the ironies of their lives, including where they come from and who they have become. Discuss how their characters pull different, yet equally powerful emotions out of Mollie. Finally, include Mollie as the driving force of their decisions in your essay. Use 3 pieces of textual evidence in your essay.
There is a fine line between genius and madness. Discuss how artistic genius can also be a curse. Include examples in history as pieces of evidence. Then, discuss how the character of Philip is a archetypal blueprint of a jaded artist. Include two pieces of dialogue in your answer.
Compare and Contrast the roles of Sister and Mother Lovejoy. In which ways are the ladies alike in their thinking regarding Philip? In which ways are they different? Is one woman more of an enabler than the other? Explain your answer and use evidence from the text.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)