Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John's profession symbolize to Mollie?
2. What does John think Philip has done to Mollie to keep her in love with him?
3. Who has Mollie recently fallen in love with?
4. How long has Mollie known her new love?
5. What does Philip employ as a winning strategy when he tells Mollie that he will die if she leaves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of tension about when Philip and John meet for the first time over dinner?
2. What does John consider to be a betrayal?
3. What happened while Philip was away that affected Paris's emotions and needs?
4. How does Mollie react to John's question?
5. What are Hattie's comments regarding the white coverings over the furnishings?
6. Why does Philip want Paris to get dressed?
7. What information does John give Mollie that makes her brighten?
8. How does Paris react to Hattie's questions and curiosity about Philip Lovejoy's suicide?
9. Who is John Tucker?
10. What time does Philip wake?
Describe the time and setting of the play and how the setting has a direct impact on the characters. Name the historical prototypes that are used in the play and describe how the characters represent the time in history in which the play is set. Also, include an analysis of the farmhouse and how it relates to the plot of the play.
Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of success. Provide a definition and include the examples of powerful and successful people in history. Then, using this base, discuss how Philip' emotional health may have been affected by his success, and then his lack thereof. How has success served him, and how has it hindered his relationships? Include textual references in your answer.
What are the implications of the falling action and resolution (or denouement ) of the play? How has the character of Mollie changed? How has the Lovejoy family accepted changed into their life? In what ways was the resolution inevitable?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)