|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mollie meet her new love?
2. Which character tries to calm Philip down when he is upset with Mollie for wanting to leave him?
3. What does Mollie tell Philip she intends to do that will affect her relationship with him?
4. What is John's profession?
5. What does Philip swear is the only thing that will satisfy him and cause him to regain his mental health?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the background of Philip Lovejoy.
2. What happens as a result of Philip returning, startling Mollie, and speaking of their relationship?
3. What does Mollie now know for sure about John and their love that the people in her life helped her understand?
4. What are the blueprints that Paris carries from the barn into the house going to be used for?
5. What is Mollie horror-stricken about?
6. What are Hattie's comments regarding the white coverings over the furnishings?
7. What is the first thing Philip wants Paris to do when he wakes up?
8. What does Philip learns has happened in regards to Mollie after his evening spent in anger and rage?
9. What information does John give Mollie that makes her brighten?
10. What happens when John re-enters the home after Mother Lovejoy and Sister have returned to bed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Man versus Self internal conflict of Philip Lovejoy. In what ways does he serve as his own worst enemy? In what ways has he turned down all offers of help for success? In what ways is he a friend to himself? Include 3 pieces textual evidence in your response.
Essay Topic 2
What is the crisis of The Square Root of Wonderful? Describe the moment when the conflict reaches a turning point and the opposing forces in the story meet. This is the time when the conflict becomes the most intense. Use specific scenes from the play and be sure to point out specific characters and dialogue.
Essay Topic 3
Who is the protagonist, antagonist and foil in 'The Square Root of Wonderful?" Explain your reasoning for choosing each character and give examples from the text, including scenes that define these characters in their roles. Next, name the flat, or two-dimensional characters and how they lack depth. Then discuss how the play works because of the synergy of the entire cast.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)