|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip swear is the only thing that will satisfy him and cause him to regain his mental health?
2. According to John, what is someone hurting your feelings the square root of?
3. What does John's profession symbolize to Mollie?
4. What does Philip have the most difficult time controlling about himself?
5. What does Philip apologize to Paris about regarding his time away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Mollie find John?
2. What is the first thing Philip wants Paris to do when he wakes up?
3. How does Paris react to Hattie's questions and curiosity about Philip Lovejoy's suicide?
4. What happens when Philip tries to seek answers as to why he is cursed with such madness?
5. How does Paris react to Hattie's mention of the word "suicide" in the same sentence as his father's name?
6. What does Mother Lovejoy offer to Paris now that his father has passed?
7. What happens when John re-enters the home after Mother Lovejoy and Sister have returned to bed?
8. How does Philip describe his time at the sanatorium?
9. How does Mollie react to John's question?
10. Who is Sister and what does she do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the time and setting of the play and how the setting has a direct impact on the characters. Name the historical prototypes that are used in the play and describe how the characters represent the time in history in which the play is set. Also, include an analysis of the farmhouse and how it relates to the plot of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Who is the protagonist, antagonist and foil in 'The Square Root of Wonderful?" Explain your reasoning for choosing each character and give examples from the text, including scenes that define these characters in their roles. Next, name the flat, or two-dimensional characters and how they lack depth. Then discuss how the play works because of the synergy of the entire cast.
Essay Topic 3
There is a fine line between genius and madness. Discuss how artistic genius can also be a curse. Include examples in history as pieces of evidence. Then, discuss how the character of Philip is a archetypal blueprint of a jaded artist. Include two pieces of dialogue in your answer.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)