|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John's profession symbolize to Mollie?
2. What does John think Philip has done to Mollie to keep her in love with him?
3. Who has Mollie recently fallen in love with?
4. How long has Mollie known her new love?
5. What does Philip employ as a winning strategy when he tells Mollie that he will die if she leaves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of tension about when Philip and John meet for the first time over dinner?
2. What does John consider to be a betrayal?
3. What happened while Philip was away that affected Paris's emotions and needs?
4. How does Mollie react to John's question?
5. What are Hattie's comments regarding the white coverings over the furnishings?
6. Why does Philip want Paris to get dressed?
7. What information does John give Mollie that makes her brighten?
8. How does Paris react to Hattie's questions and curiosity about Philip Lovejoy's suicide?
9. Who is John Tucker?
10. What time does Philip wake?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the act of suicide in The Square Root of Wonderful. We know that Paris mentions that suicide is weakness. However, when someone is on the edge of despair where no rational thought takes place, could it be considered a sickness or a form of relief? Does Philip's suicide bring the family closer together or does it split them further apart. Does it serve it's purpose or is it the ultimate tragedy?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the confusion of the character of Mollie in terms of the decision she must make between John and Philip. Why is she is love with John? What does John provide that Philip does not? In what ways is Philip a perfect match for her? In what ways is Philip the wrong person for her to re-marry? Finally, how will her decision affect Paris?
Essay Topic 3
What is the theme of "The Square Root of Wonderful?" What is the main idea or underlying meaning? It may be stated or implied but it is an idea the author returns to time and again and is the most important idea in the story. Explain your answer by sharing the feelings of the main character, the thoughts and conversations he has, the actions and events of the story, and what the characters ultimately learn.
This section contains 1,707 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)