|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is slowly happening to Philip's family as he continues to display anger and engage in violent outbursts?
2. What is the name of Paris's friend from school?
3. What did Mollie and Philip do the day they met?
4. According to John, what is humiliation the same as?
5. What type of writing has Philip published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the realization that has put Philip over the edge?
2. What are Hattie's comments regarding the white coverings over the furnishings?
3. What do Mother Lovejoy and Sister subtlety attempt to sway Mollie into doing?
4. What information does John give Mollie that makes her brighten?
5. How does Paris react to Hattie's mention of the word "suicide" in the same sentence as his father's name?
6. What is Mollie horror-stricken about?
7. How does Philip talk and feel about love and nature now?
8. How does Paris react to Hattie's questions and curiosity about Philip Lovejoy's suicide?
9. What is Philip's rationale for leaving before dawn?
10. What are the blueprints that Paris carries from the barn into the house going to be used for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and Contrast the characters of John Tucker and Philip Lovejoy. Include the ironies of their lives, including where they come from and who they have become. Discuss how their characters pull different, yet equally powerful emotions out of Mollie. Finally, include Mollie as the driving force of their decisions in your essay. Use 3 pieces of textual evidence in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Paris and John Tucker. In what was is John becoming a father figure to Paris? In what ways is John different from Philip in his fathering techniques? In what ways is Philip different from John when it comes to fostering Paris's emotional well being. Is John's influence enough to sustain Paris or is Philip's presence necessary to his raising? Use textual evidence to support your findings.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the element of foreshadowing in The Square Root of Wonderful? How many times is foreshadowing used and is it a powerful tool for the reader to better understand the characters and plot of the play? Give examples of foreshadowing in your answer.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)