|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mollie commend Philip on when she first sees him after his stay in the sanatorium?
2. What does Philip apologize to Paris about regarding his time away?
3. Who does Philip primarily blame for his emotional angst?
4. Why does Mollie always take Philip back, despite his violent tendencies?
5. What does John consider a betrayal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paris react to Hattie's mention of the word "suicide" in the same sentence as his father's name?
2. What is the point of tension about when Philip and John meet for the first time over dinner?
3. What happens as a result of Philip's outburst of violence?
4. Describe the background of Philip Lovejoy.
5. What time does Philip wake?
6. What does Philip learns has happened in regards to Mollie after his evening spent in anger and rage?
7. What are the blueprints that Paris carries from the barn into the house going to be used for?
8. What happened while Philip was away that affected Paris's emotions and needs?
9. What is Paris's reaction to his father's idea of leaving?
10. What is Paris's reaction to the fact that his mother picked up a stranger off the side of the road and that John has fallen for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the confusion of the character of Mollie in terms of the decision she must make between John and Philip. Why is she is love with John? What does John provide that Philip does not? In what ways is Philip a perfect match for her? In what ways is Philip the wrong person for her to re-marry? Finally, how will her decision affect Paris?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the act of suicide in The Square Root of Wonderful. We know that Paris mentions that suicide is weakness. However, when someone is on the edge of despair where no rational thought takes place, could it be considered a sickness or a form of relief? Does Philip's suicide bring the family closer together or does it split them further apart. Does it serve it's purpose or is it the ultimate tragedy?
Essay Topic 3
The way the Lovejoys express their love is different for each character. Sometimes we are unaware that someone is trying to love us because they are going about it in a way we are not accustomed to. Discuss the love relationships between Mollie and Philip, between Sister and Philip, and between Paris and Philip. In what ways was love shown outwardly and in what ways was it hidden and how did this show of love affect the well being of each character?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)