|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mother Lovejoy placing the onus of saving Philip upon?
2. What does Philip swear is the only thing that will satisfy him and cause him to regain his mental health?
3. What does Philip want to accomplish now that he has been released from the sanatorium?
4. What is the name of Mollie's ex-husband?
5. What does Paris carry in his arms when he returns from the barn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as a result of Philip returning, startling Mollie, and speaking of their relationship?
2. Why does Philip want Paris to get dressed?
3. How does Paris react to Hattie's questions and curiosity about Philip Lovejoy's suicide?
4. What does Paris confide in John about?
5. Where did Mollie find John?
6. What does Philip apologize to Paris about during their talk?
7. What does John discuss with Paris that he considers the square root of sin?
8. Why are men attracted to Mollie and not attracted to Sister?
9. What are Mollie and Paris planning to do now that Philip is dead?
10. What is the point of tension about when Philip and John meet for the first time over dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Compare and Contrast the roles of Sister and Mother Lovejoy. In which ways are the ladies alike in their thinking regarding Philip? In which ways are they different? Is one woman more of an enabler than the other? Explain your answer and use evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2Discuss the act of suicide in The Square Root of Wonderful. We know that Paris mentions that suicide is weakness. However, when someone is on the edge of despair where no rational thought takes place, could it be considered a sickness or a form of relief? Does Philip's suicide bring the family closer together or does it split them further apart. Does it serve it's purpose or is it the ultimate tragedy?
Essay Topic 3Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of success. Provide a definition and include the examples of powerful and successful people in history. Then, using this base, discuss how Philip' emotional health may have been affected by his success, and then his lack thereof. How has success served him, and how has it hindered his relationships? Include textual references in your answer.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)