|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip want more than anything else after he returns from the sanatorium?
2. What is the name of the new man in Mollie's life?
3. Who is aghast that John could love Mollie after such a short time?
4. What quality does Philip display as equally as his madness?
5. Why does Philip's family continue to forgive him even when his genius and madness seem to overshadow his entire self?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Philip return to the farmhouse before he is expected?
2. What happens when John re-enters the home after Mother Lovejoy and Sister have returned to bed?
3. Describe the conversation that takes place between father and son when Philip returns home?
4. How does Paris react to Hattie's mention of the word "suicide" in the same sentence as his father's name?
5. What is Paris's reaction to his father's idea of leaving?
6. What do Mother Lovejoy and Sister subtlety attempt to sway Mollie into doing?
7. How does Philip talk and feel about love and nature now?
8. What reason does Paris give his father as to why he cannot go with him?
9. What is the point of tension about when Philip and John meet for the first time over dinner?
10. What happens as a result of Philip returning, startling Mollie, and speaking of their relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and Contrast the characters of John Tucker and Philip Lovejoy. Include the ironies of their lives, including where they come from and who they have become. Discuss how their characters pull different, yet equally powerful emotions out of Mollie. Finally, include Mollie as the driving force of their decisions in your essay. Use 3 pieces of textual evidence in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the element of foreshadowing in The Square Root of Wonderful? How many times is foreshadowing used and is it a powerful tool for the reader to better understand the characters and plot of the play? Give examples of foreshadowing in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the confusion of the character of Mollie in terms of the decision she must make between John and Philip. Why is she is love with John? What does John provide that Philip does not? In what ways is Philip a perfect match for her? In what ways is Philip the wrong person for her to re-marry? Finally, how will her decision affect Paris?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)