|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John's profession symbolize to Mollie?
2. What does John think Philip has done to Mollie to keep her in love with him?
3. Who has Mollie recently fallen in love with?
4. How long has Mollie known her new love?
5. What does Philip employ as a winning strategy when he tells Mollie that he will die if she leaves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of tension about when Philip and John meet for the first time over dinner?
2. What does John consider to be a betrayal?
3. What happened while Philip was away that affected Paris's emotions and needs?
4. How does Mollie react to John's question?
5. What are Hattie's comments regarding the white coverings over the furnishings?
6. Why does Philip want Paris to get dressed?
7. What information does John give Mollie that makes her brighten?
8. How does Paris react to Hattie's questions and curiosity about Philip Lovejoy's suicide?
9. Who is John Tucker?
10. What time does Philip wake?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Paris and John Tucker. In what was is John becoming a father figure to Paris? In what ways is John different from Philip in his fathering techniques? In what ways is Philip different from John when it comes to fostering Paris's emotional well being. Is John's influence enough to sustain Paris or is Philip's presence necessary to his raising? Use textual evidence to support your findings.
Essay Topic 2
Who is the protagonist, antagonist and foil in 'The Square Root of Wonderful?" Explain your reasoning for choosing each character and give examples from the text, including scenes that define these characters in their roles. Next, name the flat, or two-dimensional characters and how they lack depth. Then discuss how the play works because of the synergy of the entire cast.
Essay Topic 3
There is a fine line between genius and madness. Discuss how artistic genius can also be a curse. Include examples in history as pieces of evidence. Then, discuss how the character of Philip is a archetypal blueprint of a jaded artist. Include two pieces of dialogue in your answer.
This section contains 1,707 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)