|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Philip incapable of thinking?
(a) He is incapable of thinking positively
(b) He is incapable of thinking about the safety of his child
(c) He is incapable of thinking of anyone besides himself
(d) He is incapable of thinking rationaly
2. What does John believe is the basis for his calculations of all human conditions?
(a) Genius or paralysis
(b) Sin or love
(c) Safety or danger
(d) Love or danger
3. Why does Mollie think Philip died?
(a) Because he was an unhappy man
(b) Because Mollie loved John
(c) Because of his lack of writing success
(d) Because of his mental health
4. What does Mollie feel the new house will do to the relationship she has with John?
(a) Provide an easier life
(b) Bring them closer together
(c) Help raise Paris
(d) Test their strength
5. How does Paris feel about his father's irrational behavior?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Philip inevitably intending to do because he cannot solve his own problems?
2. What does John talk about that brightens the mood of both Mollie and Paris?
3. What is name of the character who first comments on the furnishings in Paris's house?
4. What is the best word to describe the scene between father and son when it becomes clear that Philip intends to kill himself?
5. What literary device is John's story of his struggle to save the drowning sailor best described as?
This section contains 265 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)