|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the covered furniture symbolize?
(a) The ghosts of the past
(b) The need to move on
(c) The future
(d) Philip's death
2. What does Philip's desire to get Paris to leave with him stem from?
(a) Pure evil
(b) Fear of being alone
(c) His ultimate desire to live
(d) Fear of going on without Mollie
3. What literary device is John's story of his struggle to save the drowning sailor best described as?
(a) An analogy
(b) A simile
(c) A metaphor
(d) An anecdote
4. What is Paris's answer to his father's idea to leave together?
(a) Paris leaves willingly
(b) Paris refuses to leave
(c) Paris is excited to leave the farm
(d) Paris wants to tell his mother he is leaving
5. When does Philip wake after his last tirade?
(a) At dawn
(b) Just before dawn
(c) Late in the morning
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does John think Mollie must choose to save from a similar fate as Philip?
2. In what kind of state is Philip when he recalls his boyhood?
3. What is John's profession of an architect a metaphor of?
4. Why does Mother Lovejoy want to hire a limousine for Mollie?
5. What is Paris's explanation of his father's death?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)