|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality does John have that Philip does not that keeps John on a steady path?
(a) Mental strength
(b) Physical strength
(c) Strength of heart
(d) Emotional strength
2. What does Sister assure Philip will happen if he calms himself from the fight with Mollie and just comes back home?
(a) He could write in peace and quite
(b) He might fall in love with another woman
(c) He would make sound decisions
(d) He would regain mental clarity
3. Which character does Philip have questions about the moment he arrives home?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
4. What does John consider a betrayal?
(a) Philip's actions towards Paris
(b) Philip's attempts to disuade him
(c) Mollie and Philip's intimacy
(d) Mollie's indecision
5. Who is Mother Lovejoy placing the onus of saving Philip upon?
(d) Philip himself
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paris dream of at the beginning of the play?
2. What needs to be reconciled in order for John and Mollie to begin building a new life for the two of them?
3. What kind of family did Philip originally come from?
4. What does Philip eventually conclude about himself regarding his failures?
5. Which character tries to calm Philip down when he is upset with Mollie for wanting to leave him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Hattie's comments regarding the white coverings over the furnishings?
2. What is the point of tension about when Philip and John meet for the first time over dinner?
3. How has Mollie taken the news of Philip's death?
4. What reason does Paris give his father as to why he cannot go with him?
5. How does Philip return to the farmhouse before he is expected?
6. What does Philip recall about his boyhood?
7. Describe how Philip looks when he is talking to Paris about leaving?
8. What is the primary reason why Philip wants to take Paris with him?
9. What does John hope the story of the sailor will accomplish?
10. Who is Sister and what does she do?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)