|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality of Philip has served as the backdrop for the tumultuous lives of his family?
(a) His violent rages
(b) His artistic genius
(c) His loving relationships
(d) His compassionate friendship
2. What is the name of the new man in Mollie's life?
(a) John Tucker
(b) Paul Tucker
(c) John Taylor
(d) Philip Lovejoy
3. What does Philip apologize to Paris about regarding his time away?
(a) Leaving so much of the farm work to Paris
(b) For going away altogether
(c) Leaving Paris with his mother
(d) Not coming back earlier
4. What mode of transportation did Philip take to arrive home sooner than expected?
5. What happened as a result of Mollie and Philip's first romantic encounter?
(a) Mollie got pregnant
(b) They stopped dating
(c) They got married
(d) Philip proposed
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip suffer from that has led him to suicide attempts in the past?
2. What does the character of Mollie rely on most when she makes a decision?
3. What does Mollie tell Philip she intends to do that will affect her relationship with him?
4. What does Philip's mother do after Philip lashes out in anger towards her because of the state of his life?
5. Who is aghast that John could love Mollie after such a short time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paris confide in John about?
2. How has Mollie taken the news of Philip's death?
3. How does Mollie react to Sister's blatant question of whether or not she loves Philip and if she plans to marry him for the third time?
4. How does Philip describe his time at the sanatorium?
5. Why does Philip want Paris to get dressed?
6. How does Paris react to Hattie's mention of the word "suicide" in the same sentence as his father's name?
7. What is the primary reason why Philip wants to take Paris with him?
8. Describe how Philip looks when he is talking to Paris about leaving?
9. What is Philip's rationale for leaving before dawn?
10. What does Mother Lovejoy offer to Paris now that his father has passed?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)