|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the character of Mollie rely on most when she makes a decision?
2. What type of writing has Philip published?
(a) A newpaper article
(b) A short story
(c) A magazine article
(d) A book
3. What has Sister never done that seems to astound others?
(a) Taken pride in her appearance
(b) Gotten married
(d) Had a proper education
4. What does Philip employ as a winning strategy when he tells Mollie that he will die if she leaves him?
(a) A moral obligation
(b) A guilt mechanism
(c) A bribery mechanism
(d) An ultimatum
5. What mode of transportation did Philip take to arrive home sooner than expected?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Mother Lovejoy and Sister staying in anticipation of Philip's homecoming?
2. What does Philip want more than anything else after he returns from the sanatorium?
3. Who does Philip question about why no one has ever tried to stop his destructive behavior?
4. How does Mollie react to the sudden and unexpected presence of Philip?
5. How did Paris feel while his father was away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paris's reaction to the fact that his mother picked up a stranger off the side of the road and that John has fallen for her?
2. What happens as a result of Philip's outburst of violence?
3. What does Philip apologize to Paris about during their talk?
4. What becomes clear to be the main reason Philip wants to take Paris with him?
5. How does Mollie react to Sister's blatant question of whether or not she loves Philip and if she plans to marry him for the third time?
6. How does Philip describe his time at the sanatorium?
7. What has happened to Philip's enthusiasm for his writing?
8. What does Mollie now know for sure about John and their love that the people in her life helped her understand?
9. How does Mollie react to John's question?
10. What are Hattie's comments regarding the white coverings over the furnishings?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)