|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event does the dream that Paris has in the beginning of the play foreshadow?
(a) His father's love
(b) His father's return
(c) His father's lack of commitment
(d) His father's violence
2. What needs to be reconciled in order for John and Mollie to begin building a new life for the two of them?
(a) Philip's emotional debris
(b) Philip's lack of understanding
(c) Philip's control over Mollie
(d) Philip's madness
3. What does Philip admit to Mollie that he needs and can't go on living without?
(b) The farmhouse
(d) Family support
4. What did it take for Mollie to fall in love with Philip?
(a) One kiss
(b) A long courtship process
(c) A touch of the hand
(d) A marriage proposal
5. How does Mollie react to the sudden and unexpected presence of Philip?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip want more than anything else after he returns from the sanatorium?
2. What does John think Philip has done to Mollie to keep her in love with him?
3. What type of writing has Philip published?
4. What does Philip apologize to Paris about regarding his time away?
5. Where is Philip watching Mollie from on the night of his arrival?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when John re-enters the home after Mother Lovejoy and Sister have returned to bed?
2. What does Mollie now know for sure about John and their love that the people in her life helped her understand?
3. What is John trying to figure out about the relationship between Mollie and Philip?
4. How does Mollie react to John's question?
5. How does Philip talk and feel about love and nature now?
6. What does Paris confide in John about?
7. What happens when Mollie announces to Philip that she plans to leave with John?
8. How does Philip describe his time at the sanatorium?
9. Describe the conversation that takes place between father and son when Philip returns home?
10. What does John discuss with Paris that he considers the square root of sin?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)