|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mollie commend Philip on when she first sees him after his stay in the sanatorium?
(a) His progress
(b) His looks
(c) His kindness
(d) His manners
2. What does Philip have the most difficult time controlling about himself?
(a) His love for Mollie
(b) His depression
(c) His mood
(d) His deep seated madness
3. What does Philip admit to Mollie that he needs and can't go on living without?
(b) The farmhouse
(d) Family support
4. What does Philip eventually conclude about himself regarding his failures?
(a) That he is to blame
(b) That he is a killjoy
(c) That he has no talent
(d) That he is unworthy
5. What quality of Philip has served as the backdrop for the tumultuous lives of his family?
(a) His loving relationships
(b) His compassionate friendship
(c) His violent rages
(d) His artistic genius
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the best description for the relationship between Mollie and Philip?
2. What is the name of Paris's friend from school?
3. What kind of family did Philip originally come from?
4. What does Philip employ as a winning strategy when he tells Mollie that he will die if she leaves him?
5. What event does the dream that Paris has in the beginning of the play foreshadow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the background of Philip Lovejoy.
2. What are the blueprints that Paris carries from the barn into the house going to be used for?
3. How does Mollie react to John's question?
4. What do Mother Lovejoy and Sister subtlety attempt to sway Mollie into doing?
5. What does Philip recall about his boyhood?
6. What becomes clear to be the main reason Philip wants to take Paris with him?
7. What does John hope the story of the sailor will accomplish?
8. How does Paris react to Hattie's questions and curiosity about Philip Lovejoy's suicide?
9. Where does Philip tell Paris they will go?
10. How does Paris react to Hattie's mention of the word "suicide" in the same sentence as his father's name?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)