|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of writing has Philip published?
(a) A short story
(b) A magazine article
(c) A book
(d) A newpaper article
2. What does Philip want to accomplish now that he has been released from the sanatorium?
(a) Become an actor
(b) Take a job in town
(c) Become a doctor
(d) Write another novel
3. What is the name of Mollie's ex-husband?
4. In the beginning of Act 2, what activity has Philip resumed?
5. Why has Mollie been awake instead of sleeping when the play opens?
(a) She was preparing a stew
(b) She has been discussing plans with her new tenant John
(c) She was arguing with her ex-husband
(d) She was consoling Sister
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip swear is the only thing that will satisfy him and cause him to regain his mental health?
2. Which character does Philip have questions about the moment he arrives home?
3. Why does Mollie hold her new lover at bay with her affections?
4. What does Sister strictly advise Mollie not to do in terms of her relationship with John Tucker?
5. Who is Mother Lovejoy placing the onus of saving Philip upon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hattie react to seeing Philip back home for the first time?
2. What are Hattie's comments regarding the white coverings over the furnishings?
3. What does Mollie now know for sure about John and their love that the people in her life helped her understand?
4. What happened while Philip was away that affected Paris's emotions and needs?
5. What is Paris's reaction to his father's idea of leaving?
6. What are the blueprints that Paris carries from the barn into the house going to be used for?
7. Describe the conversation that takes place between father and son when Philip returns home?
8. What are Mollie and Paris planning to do now that Philip is dead?
9. How does Mollie believe Philip died?
10. Where does the play take place?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)