|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John's profession symbolize to Mollie?
(a) The height of certain dreams
(b) Safety and security
(c) The rebuilding of a new life
(d) Strength of character
2. Why does Mollie always take Philip back, despite his violent tendencies?
(a) He is charming
(b) His solid Christianity
(c) He is good natured
(d) His fidelity
3. What quality does Philip display as equally as his madness?
(a) His kindness
(b) His compassion
(c) His genius
(d) His sensitivity
4. Where did Mollie meet her new love?
(a) Through mutual friends
(b) At a local bar
(c) At church
(d) On the side of the road
5. Who does the character of John believe needs to be saved the most in this situation?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip eventually conclude about himself regarding his failures?
2. What does Mollie commend Philip on when she first sees him after his stay in the sanatorium?
3. How does Molly respond to John's desire to commit to her?
4. What does Philip want to be in terms of a career?
5. According to John, what is someone hurting your feelings the square root of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John hope the story of the sailor will accomplish?
2. What has happened to Philip and his career as a writer?
3. What are Mollie and Paris planning to do now that Philip is dead?
4. What is Paris's reaction to the fact that his mother picked up a stranger off the side of the road and that John has fallen for her?
5. What happened while Philip was away that affected Paris's emotions and needs?
6. What happens when John re-enters the home after Mother Lovejoy and Sister have returned to bed?
7. What is Philip's rationale for leaving before dawn?
8. What happens when Philip tries to seek answers as to why he is cursed with such madness?
9. Who is Sister and what does she do?
10. What does John consider to be a betrayal?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)