|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paris carry in his arms when he returns from the barn?
(a) A stack of hay
(b) Blueprints of a John's house
(c) The town newspaper
(d) Logs for the fire
2. What does Philip eventually conclude about himself regarding his failures?
(a) That he has no talent
(b) That he is to blame
(c) That he is a killjoy
(d) That he is unworthy
3. Where are Mother Lovejoy and Sister staying in anticipation of Philip's homecoming?
(a) Sister's house
(b) Mollie's house
(c) John Tucker's house
(d) Mother Lovejoy's house
4. Where is Philip watching Mollie from on the night of his arrival?
(a) The doorway
(b) The window
(c) From behind the trees
(d) The porch
5. How did Paris feel while his father was away?
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does the dream that Paris has in the beginning of the play foreshadow?
2. Who does Philip turn to automatically when his psyche is challenged and he needs reprieve?
3. What does Philip admit to Mollie that he needs and can't go on living without?
4. Where does the play open?
5. What does Philip say he will do if Mollie leaves him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mollie announces to Philip that she plans to leave with John?
2. What happens when John re-enters the home after Mother Lovejoy and Sister have returned to bed?
3. What is Philip's rationale for leaving before dawn?
4. What do Mother Lovejoy and Sister subtlety attempt to sway Mollie into doing?
5. What happens when Philip tries to seek answers as to why he is cursed with such madness?
6. How is Mollie the square root of wonderful?
7. How does Mollie believe Philip died?
8. How does Philip return to the farmhouse before he is expected?
9. Describe the background of Philip Lovejoy.
10. How has Mother Lovejoy attempted to help Mollie get to the train station?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)