|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After John's proposal to Mollie, which character enters the home?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
2. How is Mollie mentally affected by Philip's emotional outbursts?
(a) She becomes indifferent to emotions
(b) She is paralyzed in fear
(c) She slides into a depression
(d) She becomes passive aggressive
3. What needs to be reconciled in order for John and Mollie to begin building a new life for the two of them?
(a) Philip's lack of understanding
(b) Philip's madness
(c) Philip's control over Mollie
(d) Philip's emotional debris
4. What is the name of the new man in Mollie's life?
(a) Paul Tucker
(b) Philip Lovejoy
(c) John Tucker
(d) John Taylor
5. What does Philip eventually conclude about himself regarding his failures?
(a) That he is a killjoy
(b) That he is to blame
(c) That he is unworthy
(d) That he has no talent
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Paris feel while his father was away?
2. Where does Sister work?
3. What is the best description for the relationship between Mollie and Philip?
4. According to John, what is someone hurting your feelings the square root of?
5. What does Sister assure Philip will happen if he calms himself from the fight with Mollie and just comes back home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the realization that has put Philip over the edge?
2. How does Hattie react to seeing Philip back home for the first time?
3. How does Philip return to the farmhouse before he is expected?
4. Where does the play take place?
5. How has Mother Lovejoy attempted to help Mollie get to the train station?
6. What is the first thing Philip wants Paris to do when he wakes up?
7. What is Paris's reaction to the fact that his mother picked up a stranger off the side of the road and that John has fallen for her?
8. What time does Philip wake?
9. What has happened to Philip and his career as a writer?
10. What are Mollie and Paris planning to do now that Philip is dead?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)