|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Philip question about why no one has ever tried to stop his destructive behavior?
(d) Mother Lovejoy
2. How does Mollie react to the sudden and unexpected presence of Philip?
3. What quality does Mollie possess that Sister does not and is the reason why Sister remains single?
4. What kind of family did Philip originally come from?
(a) An abusive family
(b) A prominent family
(c) A poor family
(d) A middle class family
5. What does Philip eventually conclude about himself regarding his failures?
(a) That he is to blame
(b) That he is unworthy
(c) That he is a killjoy
(d) That he has no talent
Short Answer Questions
1. In the past, what did those who loved Philip tend to do immediately following an outburst of violence or anger?
2. After John's proposal to Mollie, which character enters the home?
3. What is John's profession?
4. Who has Mollie recently fallen in love with?
5. What does John confess his ex-wife did that destroyed their marriage and John's faith in marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Mother Lovejoy attempted to help Mollie get to the train station?
2. What information does John give Mollie that makes her brighten?
3. How is Mollie the square root of wonderful?
4. What does Mollie now know for sure about John and their love that the people in her life helped her understand?
5. What happens as a result of Philip's outburst of violence?
6. How does Philip describe his time at the sanatorium?
7. What happens when Mollie announces to Philip that she plans to leave with John?
8. What does Philip apologize to Paris about during their talk?
9. Who is Sister and what does she do?
10. What is Mollie horror-stricken about?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)