|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is slowly happening to Philip's family as he continues to display anger and engage in violent outbursts?
(a) They are becoming strong
(b) They are becoming fitful
(c) They are becoming more forgiving
(d) They are becoming weary
2. What does Paris dream of at the beginning of the play?
(a) His father reading to him
(b) His father being a burglar
(c) His father teaching him skills
(d) His father joining the army
3. What does Philip have the most difficult time controlling about himself?
(a) His love for Mollie
(b) His deep seated madness
(c) His depression
(d) His mood
4. What is John trying to find out about Mollie?
(a) If she is interested in money
(b) If she is capable of loving him
(c) If she is still in love with Philip
(d) If she woud be a dedicated wife
5. What quality of Philip has served as the backdrop for the tumultuous lives of his family?
(a) His loving relationships
(b) His artistic genius
(c) His compassionate friendship
(d) His violent rages
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Molly respond to John's desire to commit to her?
2. Why does Mollie hold her new lover at bay with her affections?
3. What does John confess his ex-wife did that destroyed their marriage and John's faith in marriage?
4. What does Philip's mother do after Philip lashes out in anger towards her because of the state of his life?
5. At the dinner table, what does Philip dissuade John from doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Paris's reaction to his father's idea of leaving?
2. What does Paris confide in John about?
3. What are Hattie's comments regarding the white coverings over the furnishings?
4. What time does Philip wake?
5. What does Mother Lovejoy offer to Paris now that his father has passed?
6. Describe how Philip looks when he is talking to Paris about leaving?
7. What is Paris's reaction to the fact that his mother picked up a stranger off the side of the road and that John has fallen for her?
8. What happens as a result of Philip's outburst of violence?
9. What are Mollie and Paris planning to do now that Philip is dead?
10. What happens when Mollie announces to Philip that she plans to leave with John?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)