|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality of Philip has served as the backdrop for the tumultuous lives of his family?
(a) His artistic genius
(b) His compassionate friendship
(c) His loving relationships
(d) His violent rages
2. Who has Mollie recently fallen in love with?
3. What event does the dream that Paris has in the beginning of the play foreshadow?
(a) His father's love
(b) His father's violence
(c) His father's lack of commitment
(d) His father's return
4. Where is Philip watching Mollie from on the night of his arrival?
(a) The window
(b) From behind the trees
(c) The porch
(d) The doorway
5. What do Mother Lovejoy and Sister continue to do to Mollie now that Philip is back?
(a) Attempt to sway Mollie into re-marrying Philip
(b) Attempt to sway Mollie into marrying John
(c) Attempt to sway Mollie into dating again someone new
(d) Attempt to sway Mollie to convince Philip to quiting writing
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Philip have questions about the moment he arrives home?
2. In the past, what did those who loved Philip tend to do immediately following an outburst of violence or anger?
3. What does John offer Mollie that Phillip cannot?
4. Where do Mollie and Philip retreat to following their initial conversation and initial greeting?
5. What does John think Philip has done to Mollie to keep her in love with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Philip tries to seek answers as to why he is cursed with such madness?
2. What is John trying to figure out about the relationship between Mollie and Philip?
3. Where does the play take place?
4. How does Mollie believe Philip died?
5. How does Philip describe his time at the sanatorium?
6. What does Philip recall about his boyhood?
7. How has Mother Lovejoy attempted to help Mollie get to the train station?
8. What are Hattie's comments regarding the white coverings over the furnishings?
9. Who is Sister and what does she do?
10. What time does Philip wake?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)