|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Philip's mother do after Philip lashes out in anger towards her because of the state of his life?
(a) She says Mollie is to blame for Philip's anger
(b) She packs her bags to go
(c) She breaks down into tears
(d) She goes to find Sister for support
2. What is the name of the new man in Mollie's life?
(a) John Taylor
(b) Paul Tucker
(c) John Tucker
(d) Philip Lovejoy
3. Who does Philip turn to automatically when his psyche is challenged and he needs reprieve?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
4. What do Mother Lovejoy and Sister continue to do to Mollie now that Philip is back?
(a) Attempt to sway Mollie into marrying John
(b) Attempt to sway Mollie to convince Philip to quiting writing
(c) Attempt to sway Mollie into dating again someone new
(d) Attempt to sway Mollie into re-marrying Philip
5. Who is Mollie comforting at the beginning of the play?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip suffer from that has led him to suicide attempts in the past?
2. What is the name of Mollie's ex-husband?
3. What kind of family did Philip originally come from?
4. What does the character of Mollie rely on most when she makes a decision?
5. How does Mollie react to the sudden and unexpected presence of Philip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John hope the story of the sailor will accomplish?
2. How does Philip return to the farmhouse before he is expected?
3. What is the primary reason why Philip wants to take Paris with him?
4. Describe the background of Philip Lovejoy.
5. What does Philip learns has happened in regards to Mollie after his evening spent in anger and rage?
6. What are Mollie and Paris planning to do now that Philip is dead?
7. How is John is the voice of reason for Mollie?
8. How does Mollie react to John's question?
9. How does Paris react to Hattie's mention of the word "suicide" in the same sentence as his father's name?
10. What does John discuss with Paris that he considers the square root of sin?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)