|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John consider a betrayal?
(a) Philip's attempts to disuade him
(b) Mollie's indecision
(c) Mollie and Philip's intimacy
(d) Philip's actions towards Paris
2. Where is Philip watching Mollie from on the night of his arrival?
(a) The window
(b) The doorway
(c) The porch
(d) From behind the trees
3. If Philip were to re-marry Mollie, how would Mother Lovejoy benefit?
(a) She would benefit economically
(b) She would benefit by having a big family
(c) She would benefit by heightening her social status
(d) She would benefit by keeping the house
4. What type of writing has Philip published?
(a) A book
(b) A magazine article
(c) A short story
(d) A newpaper article
5. What does Philip want more than anything else after he returns from the sanatorium?
(a) To have more children
(b) To further develop the farm
(c) To feel and live again
(d) To re-marry Mollie
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Mollie recently fallen in love with?
2. What does Mother Lovejoy notice has changed in Mollie now that Philip has returned?
3. Why does Mollie always take Philip back, despite his violent tendencies?
4. What does Philip employ as a winning strategy when he tells Mollie that he will die if she leaves him?
5. After John's proposal to Mollie, which character enters the home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the background of Philip Lovejoy.
2. How does Paris react to Hattie's questions and curiosity about Philip Lovejoy's suicide?
3. What does Philip recall about his boyhood?
4. What does Philip apologize to Paris about during their talk?
5. Describe the realization that has put Philip over the edge?
6. What does Mother Lovejoy want Mollie to do and how does she want Mollie to act regarding her relationship with Philip?
7. Where did Mollie find John?
8. What does Philip learns has happened in regards to Mollie after his evening spent in anger and rage?
9. What has happened to Philip and his career as a writer?
10. Describe how Philip looks when he is talking to Paris about leaving?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)