|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character does Philip have questions about the moment he arrives home?
(c) Mother Lovejoy
2. If Philip were to re-marry Mollie, how would Mother Lovejoy benefit?
(a) She would benefit by having a big family
(b) She would benefit by keeping the house
(c) She would benefit by heightening her social status
(d) She would benefit economically
3. What is John's profession?
4. What does Paris dream of at the beginning of the play?
(a) His father reading to him
(b) His father teaching him skills
(c) His father joining the army
(d) His father being a burglar
5. What does John tell Paris is the one thing that kills a person's pride?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip admit to Mollie that he needs and can't go on living without?
2. What does Philip want to be in terms of a career?
3. How does Molly respond to John's desire to commit to her?
4. Where does the play open?
5. What needs to be reconciled in order for John and Mollie to begin building a new life for the two of them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Philip's rationale for leaving before dawn?
2. How does Philip talk and feel about love and nature now?
3. Describe how Philip looks when he is talking to Paris about leaving?
4. What is Mollie horror-stricken about?
5. What time does Philip wake?
6. How does Paris react to Hattie's questions and curiosity about Philip Lovejoy's suicide?
7. Why are men attracted to Mollie and not attracted to Sister?
8. How is Mollie the square root of wonderful?
9. How does Mollie react to John's question?
10. What does Mollie now know for sure about John and their love that the people in her life helped her understand?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)