|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Mollie mentally affected by Philip's emotional outbursts?
(a) She is paralyzed in fear
(b) She becomes indifferent to emotions
(c) She becomes passive aggressive
(d) She slides into a depression
2. What quality of Philip has served as the backdrop for the tumultuous lives of his family?
(a) His artistic genius
(b) His violent rages
(c) His loving relationships
(d) His compassionate friendship
3. What is the name of the new man in Mollie's life?
(a) John Tucker
(b) Paul Tucker
(c) John Taylor
(d) Philip Lovejoy
4. What mode of transportation did Philip take to arrive home sooner than expected?
5. What does Philip admit to Mollie that he needs and can't go on living without?
(b) Family support
(d) The farmhouse
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Philip have questions about the moment he arrives home?
2. What does Philip want to accomplish now that he has been released from the sanatorium?
3. Who is Mother Lovejoy placing the onus of saving Philip upon?
4. Why has Mollie been awake instead of sleeping when the play opens?
5. Why does Mollie hold her new lover at bay with her affections?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mother Lovejoy offer to Paris now that his father has passed?
2. What is Mollie horror-stricken about?
3. Describe how Philip looks when he is talking to Paris about leaving?
4. What time does Philip wake?
5. What happens when John re-enters the home after Mother Lovejoy and Sister have returned to bed?
6. Describe the background of Philip Lovejoy.
7. What happened while Philip was away that affected Paris's emotions and needs?
8. What does John consider to be a betrayal?
9. What are Hattie's comments regarding the white coverings over the furnishings?
10. How does Philip talk and feel about love and nature now?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)