|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Philip say he will do if Mollie leaves him?
(a) He will come after John
(b) He will die
(c) He will take Paris away
(d) He will find her
2. When do John and Philip first meet?
(a) At breakfast
(b) At dinnertime
(c) When Philip first arrives
(d) They do not meet
3. At the dinner table, what does Philip dissuade John from doing?
(a) Trying to make friends with him
(b) Building his house
(c) Staying on the property as a tenant
(d) Making advances towards Mollie
4. How long has Mollie known her new love?
(a) One year
(b) Ten days
(c) Six months
(d) One week
5. Which character does Philip have questions about the moment he arrives home?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip swear is the only thing that will satisfy him and cause him to regain his mental health?
2. What is the main way the character of Sister is different from the character of Philip?
3. In the beginning of Act 2, what activity has Philip resumed?
4. What did it take for Mollie to fall in love with Philip?
5. What quality of Philip has served as the backdrop for the tumultuous lives of his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mollie now know for sure about John and their love that the people in her life helped her understand?
2. Where did Mollie find John?
3. What are Mollie and Paris planning to do now that Philip is dead?
4. What has happened to Philip and his career as a writer?
5. What does Philip apologize to Paris about during their talk?
6. What is Philip's rationale for leaving before dawn?
7. How is John is the voice of reason for Mollie?
8. Describe the background of Philip Lovejoy.
9. What does John hope the story of the sailor will accomplish?
10. What happens when Mollie announces to Philip that she plans to leave with John?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)