|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Mother Lovejoy chosen to use as a form of transportation as opposed to a taxi to get to the train station?
(a) A plane
(b) A heliocopter
(c) A small bus
(d) A limousine
2. What is Philip inevitably intending to do because he cannot solve his own problems?
(a) Run away
(b) Kill himself
(c) Kill Mollie
(d) Kidnap his son
3. What does Mother Lovejoy have tremendous distaste for in terms of the expression of emotions?
(a) Romantic advances
(b) Confessions in confidence
(c) Personal affection
(d) Casual embraces
4. What does Philip consider the power of love to be?
5. Who is the only one that can reach Philip?
(b) Mother Lovejoy
(c) No one can reach him
6. What is Mollie the most grateful for after Philip's death?
(a) Mother Lovejoy and Sister
(b) The house and her new life
(c) Her whole extended family
(d) Paris and John
7. With Mollie's bags packed, what does Mollie intend to do?
(a) To teach Mother Lovejoy a lesson
(b) To leave her family
(c) To threaten to leave
(d) To scare Philip
8. What literary device is John's story of his struggle to save the drowning sailor best described as?
(a) A metaphor
(b) An analogy
(c) An anecdote
(d) A simile
9. How does Paris respond to his father's idea of leaving?
(a) Paris becomes angry
(b) Paris is indifferent
(c) Paris agrees to go
(d) Paris strongly hesitates
10. Who does John think Mollie must choose to save from a similar fate as Philip?
(d) Mother Lovejoy
11. How does Mollie react when she learns what her ex-husband had intended to do just hours before his death?
(a) She is confused
(b) She is angered
(c) She is in shock
(d) She is horror-stricken
12. What does Mother Lovejoy claim the taxi cab driver will do that will be disturbing to Mollie and is the reason why they should chose another mode of transportation?
(a) Talk too much
(b) Charge too much money
(c) Drive too slow
(d) Drive too fast
13. What does the color of Philip's face represent?
14. What is Paris's answer to his father's idea to leave together?
(a) Paris wants to tell his mother he is leaving
(b) Paris leaves willingly
(c) Paris refuses to leave
(d) Paris is excited to leave the farm
15. How does Mother Lovejoy show that Paris is now the one she will love the most?
(a) By promising him a new home
(b) By promising him a new life
(c) By promising him a new father
(d) By promising him an inheritance
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paris accuse his father of being to come up with such an idea of leaving?
2. What does Paris think that all the talk of the new house sounds like?
3. What is the main realiziation that Philip has that pushes him over the edge?
4. Where is Mollie as Philip is talking to Paris about leaving together?
5. What does Philip now see love and nature to be?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)