|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mother Lovejoy want to hire a limousine for Mollie?
(a) So she may cry in peace
(b) So no one can see inside
(c) To show status
(d) For privacy from the public
2. With Mollie's bags packed, what does Mollie intend to do?
(a) To scare Philip
(b) To threaten to leave
(c) To leave her family
(d) To teach Mother Lovejoy a lesson
3. Which character tries most to console Mollie in her most desperate, grieving time?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
4. What is the best phrase to describe Philip's perception of his world during this dark time?
(a) Everything can turn around
(b) Everything is a struggle
(c) No one cares for him
(d) Everthing is hopeless
5. What does Mother Lovejoy claim the taxi cab driver will do that will be disturbing to Mollie and is the reason why they should chose another mode of transportation?
(a) Drive too slow
(b) Charge too much money
(c) Drive too fast
(d) Talk too much
6. What is the best word to describe the scene between father and son when it becomes clear that Philip intends to kill himself?
7. Who informs Philip that Mollie is prepared to leave?
(d) Mother Lovejoy
8. How does Paris feel about his father's irrational behavior?
9. Where is Mollie as Philip is talking to Paris about leaving together?
(a) She is sleeping
(b) She is outside with John
(c) She is preparing breakfast
(d) She is talking with Mother Lovejoy
10. What kind of surroundings does Philip prefer now as opposed to his boyhood?
(a) Philip prefers the forest
(b) Philip prefers the darkness
(c) Philip prefers people around him
(d) Philip prefers only the company of Mollie
11. What does the covered furniture symbolize?
(a) Philip's death
(b) The future
(c) The need to move on
(d) The ghosts of the past
12. What is name of the character who first comments on the furnishings in Paris's house?
(b) Mother Lovejoy
13. What is covering the furnishings in Paris's house after his father's death?
(a) White tents
(c) Black blankets
(d) White coverings
14. What does Mother Lovejoy offer both Mollie and Paris should they ever need it?
(a) An education
(c) A home
(d) A car
15. Why does Mollie think Philip died?
(a) Because of his lack of writing success
(b) Because Mollie loved John
(c) Because he was an unhappy man
(d) Because of his mental health
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the state of the furniture in Paris's house make it look like the family is in the throws of?
2. What literary device is John's story of his struggle to save the drowning sailor best described as?
3. What does Paris accuse his father of being to come up with such an idea of leaving?
4. Where are Paris and his mother moving to?
5. What is the story that John tells when relating to Paris's story regarding his father?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)