|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is literary device is employed in Paris's statement that his father does not look well?
(a) It is irony
(b) It is a foreshadowing
(c) It is imagery
(d) It is personification
2. What plans has Paris made for the day that, in addition to other feelings, keeps him from wanting to leave?
(a) He plans to play with his school friend
(b) He plans to help John with the house
(c) He plans to go fishing
(d) He plans to go hiking
3. What subject does John have a penchant for?
4. Who does John think Mollie must choose to save from a similar fate as Philip?
(d) Mother Lovejoy
5. How does Paris respond to his father's idea of leaving?
(a) Paris becomes angry
(b) Paris is indifferent
(c) Paris agrees to go
(d) Paris strongly hesitates
6. Why is Mollie in seclusion in her room?
(a) She is waiting for John
(b) She does not believe the truth
(c) She is paralyzed with grief
(d) She is depressed
7. What has Philip done to convince Mollie that he loves her?
(a) Used his son to get to her
(b) Threatened her
(c) Everything he can
(d) Become enraged with passion over her
8. What does Philip say to Paris regarding his feelings towards his relationship with Mollie?
(a) He knows Mollie is too scared to leave him
(b) He cannot live without her
(c) He wants the family to grow
(d) He wants to marry her
9. Who has Mother Lovejoy transfered her affection to now that Philip has passed?
10. What is Philip's emotional state during the third act?
(a) A state of freedom
(b) A state of depression
(c) A state of despair
(d) A state of rage
11. What literary device is John's story of his struggle to save the drowning sailor best described as?
(a) A metaphor
(b) An analogy
(c) A simile
(d) An anecdote
12. Who serves as the main voice of reason for Mollie during her grief?
(c) Mother Lovejoy
13. With Mollie's bags packed, what does Mollie intend to do?
(a) To threaten to leave
(b) To leave her family
(c) To teach Mother Lovejoy a lesson
(d) To scare Philip
14. Who is the only one that can reach Philip?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
(d) No one can reach him
15. Why does Mollie think Philip died?
(a) Because of his mental health
(b) Because of his lack of writing success
(c) Because he was an unhappy man
(d) Because Mollie loved John
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip's desire to get Paris to leave with him stem from?
2. What does Paris accuse his father of being to come up with such an idea of leaving?
3. What is Paris's explanation of his father's death?
4. What is the main realiziation that Philip has that pushes him over the edge?
5. What is the story that John tells when relating to Paris's story regarding his father?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)