|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Philip's emotional state during the third act?
(a) A state of rage
(b) A state of freedom
(c) A state of despair
(d) A state of depression
2. How does Paris feel about his father's irrational behavior?
3. What does Philip consider the power of love to be?
4. What does Paris go to do after his father discusses love and nature with him?
(a) To find Mother Lovejoy
(b) To get ready to go fishing
(c) To wake Sister
(d) To rouse Mollie
5. In what kind of state is Philip when he recalls his boyhood?
6. What is Paris's explanation of his father's death?
(a) His father was a victim of assault
(b) His father was in a car accident
(c) His father was in ill physical health
(d) His father was murdered
7. When Philip was younger, how long did he think love and joy would last?
(a) As long as he wanted it to
(b) He didn't know
(c) Until manhood
8. How does Mollie react when she learns what her ex-husband had intended to do just hours before his death?
(a) She is confused
(b) She is horror-stricken
(c) She is angered
(d) She is in shock
9. What does Paris think that all the talk of the new house sounds like?
(a) The square root of wonderful
(b) The square root of grief
(c) The square root of sin
(d) The square root of terrific
10. What is Philip's rationale for escaping with Paris?
(a) Nothing else has worked to gain Mollie's love back
(b) Philip needs to find work
(c) They need to start over
(d) He must prove his is not mad
11. What has Mother Lovejoy chosen to use as a form of transportation as opposed to a taxi to get to the train station?
(a) A small bus
(b) A plane
(c) A heliocopter
(d) A limousine
12. What does the covered furniture symbolize?
(a) The future
(b) The ghosts of the past
(c) Philip's death
(d) The need to move on
13. Who informs Philip that Mollie is prepared to leave?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
14. What does Philip's desire to get Paris to leave with him stem from?
(a) His ultimate desire to live
(b) Fear of going on without Mollie
(c) Pure evil
(d) Fear of being alone
15. What happens to Mollie's attitude after she hears John's story about the sailor?
(a) She remains paralyzed
(b) She laughs
(c) She gets more depressed
(d) She begins to understand
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mother Lovejoy and Sister preparing to do while Mollie is in seclusion?
2. How does Philip act when he discusses his course of action to leave with Paris?
3. Upon hearing the news of Mollie's packing, what does Philip want Paris to do?
4. What is the main realiziation that Philip has that pushes him over the edge?
5. What will the family remember most about Philip?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)