|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Paris and his mother moving to?
(a) Bronx Village
(b) New York City
(c) Brookyn Yard
(d) Brooklyn Heights
2. What will the family remember most about Philip?
(a) His care and his confusion
(b) His anger and his volatility
(c) His genuis and his angst
(d) His love and compassion
3. What does John believe is the basis for his calculations of all human conditions?
(a) Genius or paralysis
(b) Love or danger
(c) Sin or love
(d) Safety or danger
4. How does Mollie react to Paris's "square root of wonderful?"
(a) She hugs Paris and John
(b) She is happy
(c) She laughs
(d) She does not understand
5. What is the best word to describe the scene between father and son when it becomes clear that Philip intends to kill himself?
6. With Mollie's bags packed, what does Mollie intend to do?
(a) To scare Philip
(b) To threaten to leave
(c) To leave her family
(d) To teach Mother Lovejoy a lesson
7. What does Mother Lovejoy have tremendous distaste for in terms of the expression of emotions?
(a) Casual embraces
(b) Romantic advances
(c) Confessions in confidence
(d) Personal affection
8. What happens to Mollie's attitude after she hears John's story about the sailor?
(a) She begins to understand
(b) She laughs
(c) She gets more depressed
(d) She remains paralyzed
9. How does Mother Lovejoy show that Paris is now the one she will love the most?
(a) By promising him a new home
(b) By promising him a new father
(c) By promising him an inheritance
(d) By promising him a new life
10. How does Paris feel about his father's irrational behavior?
11. Who has Mother Lovejoy transfered her affection to now that Philip has passed?
12. What will John provide for his new family that Philip was unable to provide?
(a) A strict disciplinarian
(b) A strong foundation
(c) A friendship
(d) A loving father relationship
13. Who serves as the main voice of reason for Mollie during her grief?
(b) Mother Lovejoy
14. What does Philip now see love and nature to be?
(a) Pure joy
(b) A struggle
(d) Fleeting happiness
15. What characteristic does Paris give in explanation to Hattie regarding the talk of possible suicide?
(a) His father was too brave for suicide
(b) His father was too happy for suicide
(c) His father was too in control for suicide
(d) His father was cared to much for his family for suicide
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Mollie done in the middle of the night?
2. How does Mollie describe the memory of Philip?
3. What does Philip believe his only course of action because Mollie does not understand how much he loves her?
4. Upon hearing the news of Mollie's packing, what does Philip want Paris to do?
5. Why is Mollie the square root of wonderful?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)