|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will John provide for his new family that Philip was unable to provide?
(a) A strong foundation
(b) A friendship
(c) A strict disciplinarian
(d) A loving father relationship
2. What happens to Mollie's attitude after she hears John's story about the sailor?
(a) She laughs
(b) She remains paralyzed
(c) She gets more depressed
(d) She begins to understand
3. Why does Mother Lovejoy want to hire a limousine for Mollie?
(a) To show status
(b) So no one can see inside
(c) So she may cry in peace
(d) For privacy from the public
4. What literary device is John's story of his struggle to save the drowning sailor best described as?
(a) An anecdote
(b) A simile
(c) A metaphor
(d) An analogy
5. How does Mollie describe the memory of Philip?
6. In what kind of state is Philip when he recalls his boyhood?
7. What kind of surroundings does Philip prefer now as opposed to his boyhood?
(a) Philip prefers only the company of Mollie
(b) Philip prefers the darkness
(c) Philip prefers the forest
(d) Philip prefers people around him
8. Where is Mollie as Philip is talking to Paris about leaving together?
(a) She is outside with John
(b) She is preparing breakfast
(c) She is talking with Mother Lovejoy
(d) She is sleeping
9. Who has Mother Lovejoy transfered her affection to now that Philip has passed?
10. Who serves as the main voice of reason for Mollie during her grief?
(d) Mother Lovejoy
11. What will the family remember most about Philip?
(a) His anger and his volatility
(b) His love and compassion
(c) His genuis and his angst
(d) His care and his confusion
12. When Philip was younger, how long did he think love and joy would last?
(b) As long as he wanted it to
(c) He didn't know
(d) Until manhood
13. How does Paris respond to his father's idea of leaving?
(a) Paris agrees to go
(b) Paris strongly hesitates
(c) Paris becomes angry
(d) Paris is indifferent
14. What subject does John have a penchant for?
15. What is Philip ultimately seeking as he is making his escape and intending to end his life?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does John think Mollie must choose to save from a similar fate as Philip?
2. What color is Philips face?
3. What has Philip done to convince Mollie that he loves her?
4. What does Philip's desire to get Paris to leave with him stem from?
5. How is Philip incapable of thinking?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)