|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characteristic does Paris give in explanation to Hattie regarding the talk of possible suicide?
(a) His father was too brave for suicide
(b) His father was too happy for suicide
(c) His father was too in control for suicide
(d) His father was cared to much for his family for suicide
2. Who is the only one that can reach Philip?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
(b) No one can reach him
3. What happens to Mollie's attitude after she hears John's story about the sailor?
(a) She remains paralyzed
(b) She laughs
(c) She gets more depressed
(d) She begins to understand
4. What has Philip taken with him in the early morning after asking Paris to come away with him?
(b) A gun
(d) The car
5. What is Mollie the most grateful for after Philip's death?
(a) The house and her new life
(b) Mother Lovejoy and Sister
(c) Paris and John
(d) Her whole extended family
6. What was Mollie thinking at the moment of Philip's death that, because of their strong connection, she knows Philip knew about?
(a) Her love for Philip
(b) The choice of her future husband
7. What plans has Paris made for the day that, in addition to other feelings, keeps him from wanting to leave?
(a) He plans to go hiking
(b) He plans to play with his school friend
(c) He plans to help John with the house
(d) He plans to go fishing
8. What has Mother Lovejoy chosen to use as a form of transportation as opposed to a taxi to get to the train station?
(a) A plane
(b) A heliocopter
(c) A limousine
(d) A small bus
9. What does Paris think that all the talk of the new house sounds like?
(a) The square root of sin
(b) The square root of grief
(c) The square root of wonderful
(d) The square root of terrific
10. Upon hearing the news of Mollie's packing, what does Philip want Paris to do?
(a) Find Mother Lovejoy
(b) Get dressed and stay inside
(c) Get dressed and stay with Sister
(d) Get dressed and come with him
11. What does Paris confess and confirm that Philip wanted to do with Paris the morning he left?
(a) Leave alone
(b) Take Mollie with him
(c) Plot against John
(d) Take Paris with him
12. What does Philip's desire to get Paris to leave with him stem from?
(a) Fear of going on without Mollie
(b) Pure evil
(c) Fear of being alone
(d) His ultimate desire to live
13. What does John talk about that brightens the mood of both Mollie and Paris?
(a) The memory of Philip
(b) The love and support of Sister
(c) The fate of the farm
(d) Their new house and life together
14. How does Mollie describe the memory of Philip?
15. Where are Paris and his mother moving to?
(a) Brookyn Yard
(b) Bronx Village
(c) Brooklyn Heights
(d) New York City
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Philip tell Paris he intends to go with him?
2. What does Paris accuse his father of being to come up with such an idea of leaving?
3. What literary device is John's story of his struggle to save the drowning sailor best described as?
4. Why does Mollie think Philip died?
5. What does Mother Lovejoy have tremendous distaste for in terms of the expression of emotions?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)