|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who serves as the main voice of reason for Mollie during her grief?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
2. What is Philip ultimately seeking as he is making his escape and intending to end his life?
3. What does Paris go to do after his father discusses love and nature with him?
(a) To find Mother Lovejoy
(b) To rouse Mollie
(c) To get ready to go fishing
(d) To wake Sister
4. What is Paris's answer to his father's idea to leave together?
(a) Paris refuses to leave
(b) Paris wants to tell his mother he is leaving
(c) Paris leaves willingly
(d) Paris is excited to leave the farm
5. What has Philip done to convince Mollie that he loves her?
(a) Used his son to get to her
(b) Threatened her
(c) Become enraged with passion over her
(d) Everything he can
6. What plans has Paris made for the day that, in addition to other feelings, keeps him from wanting to leave?
(a) He plans to play with his school friend
(b) He plans to help John with the house
(c) He plans to go hiking
(d) He plans to go fishing
7. When does Philip wake after his last tirade?
(a) Late in the morning
(b) Just before dawn
(d) At dawn
8. What is the core reason or feeling why Paris does not go with his father?
(c) True fear
9. Who has Mother Lovejoy transfered her affection to now that Philip has passed?
10. What does John believe is the basis for his calculations of all human conditions?
(a) Safety or danger
(b) Love or danger
(c) Sin or love
(d) Genius or paralysis
11. Where is Mollie as Philip is talking to Paris about leaving together?
(a) She is preparing breakfast
(b) She is sleeping
(c) She is talking with Mother Lovejoy
(d) She is outside with John
12. What happens to Mollie's attitude after she hears John's story about the sailor?
(a) She begins to understand
(b) She gets more depressed
(c) She laughs
(d) She remains paralyzed
13. What is John's profession of an architect a metaphor of?
(a) Building a new way of thinking
(b) Rebuilding Mollie and Paris's lives
(c) Housing a family
(d) Stiking out on his own
14. What does Philip now see love and nature to be?
(b) A struggle
(c) Pure joy
(d) Fleeting happiness
15. What is the best phrase to describe Philip's perception of his world during this dark time?
(a) Everything is a struggle
(b) No one cares for him
(c) Everything can turn around
(d) Everthing is hopeless
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paris accuse his father of being to come up with such an idea of leaving?
2. What essentially trigger's Paris to decline his father's offer to leave together?
3. What color is Philips face?
4. How does Mollie react to Paris's "square root of wonderful?"
5. What will the family remember most about Philip?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)