|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Mollie's attitude after she hears John's story about the sailor?
(a) She begins to understand
(b) She laughs
(c) She gets more depressed
(d) She remains paralyzed
2. What does Philip's desire to get Paris to leave with him stem from?
(a) His ultimate desire to live
(b) Pure evil
(c) Fear of being alone
(d) Fear of going on without Mollie
3. Who serves as the main voice of reason for Mollie during her grief?
(d) Mother Lovejoy
4. How does Paris describe the act of suicide?
(a) It is a weak act
(b) It is an act of courage
(c) It is an act of defeat
(d) It is inevitable for some people
5. What will the family remember most about Philip?
(a) His care and his confusion
(b) His genuis and his angst
(c) His love and compassion
(d) His anger and his volatility
6. How does Mother Lovejoy show that Paris is now the one she will love the most?
(a) By promising him an inheritance
(b) By promising him a new father
(c) By promising him a new home
(d) By promising him a new life
7. What is Philip's emotional state during the third act?
(a) A state of freedom
(b) A state of rage
(c) A state of depression
(d) A state of despair
8. What is name of the character who first comments on the furnishings in Paris's house?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
9. What does the covered furniture symbolize?
(a) The future
(b) The ghosts of the past
(c) The need to move on
(d) Philip's death
10. What color is Philips face?
11. Which character is the most capable of showing personal affection as seen especially in Act 3?
(d) Mother Lovejoy
12. What does John believe is the basis for his calculations of all human conditions?
(a) Sin or love
(b) Love or danger
(c) Safety or danger
(d) Genius or paralysis
13. What does Philip say to Paris regarding his feelings towards his relationship with Mollie?
(a) He cannot live without her
(b) He knows Mollie is too scared to leave him
(c) He wants the family to grow
(d) He wants to marry her
14. Who does Mother Lovejoy say will inherit her estate when she dies?
(d) Mollie and Paris
15. Where is Mollie as Philip is talking to Paris about leaving together?
(a) She is outside with John
(b) She is sleeping
(c) She is preparing breakfast
(d) She is talking with Mother Lovejoy
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mollie describe the memory of Philip?
2. What does Mollie feel the new house will do to the relationship she has with John?
3. What does Philip recall in response to Paris's outdoor plans for the day?
4. What does Mother Lovejoy have tremendous distaste for in terms of the expression of emotions?
5. Which character tries most to console Mollie in her most desperate, grieving time?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)