|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Is Mollie awake when Philip leaves?
(b) She is just waking
(d) She was awake, then falls back to sleep
2. How is Philip incapable of thinking?
(a) He is incapable of thinking about the safety of his child
(b) He is incapable of thinking of anyone besides himself
(c) He is incapable of thinking rationaly
(d) He is incapable of thinking positively
3. What does Mother Lovejoy offer both Mollie and Paris should they ever need it?
(a) An education
(b) A home
(c) A car
4. What does Philip say to Paris regarding his feelings towards his relationship with Mollie?
(a) He cannot live without her
(b) He wants the family to grow
(c) He knows Mollie is too scared to leave him
(d) He wants to marry her
5. What does the state of the furniture in Paris's house make it look like the family is in the throws of?
6. What characteristic does Paris give in explanation to Hattie regarding the talk of possible suicide?
(a) His father was too brave for suicide
(b) His father was cared to much for his family for suicide
(c) His father was too in control for suicide
(d) His father was too happy for suicide
7. How does Mother Lovejoy show that Paris is now the one she will love the most?
(a) By promising him a new home
(b) By promising him a new life
(c) By promising him an inheritance
(d) By promising him a new father
8. What does Philip consider the power of love to be?
9. What kind of surroundings does Philip prefer now as opposed to his boyhood?
(a) Philip prefers people around him
(b) Philip prefers the forest
(c) Philip prefers the darkness
(d) Philip prefers only the company of Mollie
10. What is the main realiziation that Philip has that pushes him over the edge?
(a) His writing career is doomed
(b) Mollie intends to leave him
(c) John is not going away
(d) His mother no longer supports him
11. What has Mollie done in the middle of the night?
(a) Mollie has left Philip
(b) Mollie has packed her things
(c) Mollie has left alone
(d) Mollie has escaped with John
12. Who is the only one that can reach Philip?
(b) No one can reach him
(d) Mother Lovejoy
13. What does Philip now see love and nature to be?
(a) A struggle
(b) Pure joy
(d) Fleeting happiness
14. How does Mollie react when she learns what her ex-husband had intended to do just hours before his death?
(a) She is in shock
(b) She is horror-stricken
(c) She is confused
(d) She is angered
15. What is Paris's explanation of his father's death?
(a) His father was murdered
(b) His father was a victim of assault
(c) His father was in ill physical health
(d) His father was in a car accident
Short Answer Questions
1. What is literary device is employed in Paris's statement that his father does not look well?
2. Where is Mollie as Philip is talking to Paris about leaving together?
3. Which character tries most to console Mollie in her most desperate, grieving time?
4. What does Mollie feel the new house will do to the relationship she has with John?
5. What has Philip done to convince Mollie that he loves her?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)