|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character tries most to console Mollie in her most desperate, grieving time?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
2. What does Mollie feel the new house will do to the relationship she has with John?
(a) Provide an easier life
(b) Test their strength
(c) Bring them closer together
(d) Help raise Paris
3. Where is Philip by the time Mollie rises?
(a) He is in the kitchen
(b) He has left
(c) He is waiting in the car
(d) He has gone to the barn
4. What is name of the character who first comments on the furnishings in Paris's house?
(d) Mother Lovejoy
5. How does Paris describe the act of suicide?
(a) It is inevitable for some people
(b) It is an act of courage
(c) It is an act of defeat
(d) It is a weak act
6. What is Philip inevitably intending to do because he cannot solve his own problems?
(a) Kidnap his son
(b) Run away
(c) Kill himself
(d) Kill Mollie
7. What has Philip done to convince Mollie that he loves her?
(a) Everything he can
(b) Used his son to get to her
(c) Threatened her
(d) Become enraged with passion over her
8. What essentially trigger's Paris to decline his father's offer to leave together?
(a) The color of Philip's face
(b) The tone of Philip's voice
(c) The cold touch of Philip's hand
(d) The feeling in Philip's gut
9. What does Paris go to do after his father discusses love and nature with him?
(a) To find Mother Lovejoy
(b) To wake Sister
(c) To get ready to go fishing
(d) To rouse Mollie
10. What does the state of the furniture in Paris's house make it look like the family is in the throws of?
11. Why does Philip need Paris to accompany him?
(a) To make his mother worry
(b) To save him from himself
(c) As payback to Mollie
(d) To soothe him from fear
12. What is Philip ultimately seeking as he is making his escape and intending to end his life?
13. Why is Mollie the square root of wonderful?
(a) Because she is the source of passion
(b) Because she is the source of growing love
(c) Because she is the source of family
(d) Because she is the source of pride
14. Who informs Philip that Mollie is prepared to leave?
(c) Mother Lovejoy
15. What does Philip now see love and nature to be?
(b) Pure joy
(c) A struggle
(d) Fleeting happiness
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the best word to describe the scene between father and son when it becomes clear that Philip intends to kill himself?
2. What is literary device is employed in Paris's statement that his father does not look well?
3. What is the main realiziation that Philip has that pushes him over the edge?
4. What is John's profession of an architect a metaphor of?
5. How does Paris feel about his father's irrational behavior?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)