|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mother Lovejoy have tremendous distaste for in terms of the expression of emotions?
(a) Romantic advances
(b) Confessions in confidence
(c) Personal affection
(d) Casual embraces
2. What has Philip done to convince Mollie that he loves her?
(a) Everything he can
(b) Threatened her
(c) Used his son to get to her
(d) Become enraged with passion over her
3. What literary device is John's story of his struggle to save the drowning sailor best described as?
(a) A simile
(b) An anecdote
(c) An analogy
(d) A metaphor
4. What are Mother Lovejoy and Sister preparing to do while Mollie is in seclusion?
(a) Preparing the will and testament paperwork
(b) Preparing for the funeral
(c) Preparing the home for funeral guests
(d) Preparing to return home
5. What is literary device is employed in Paris's statement that his father does not look well?
(a) It is a foreshadowing
(b) It is irony
(c) It is personification
(d) It is imagery
6. Where is Philip by the time Mollie rises?
(a) He is waiting in the car
(b) He is in the kitchen
(c) He has gone to the barn
(d) He has left
7. Who does John think Mollie must choose to save from a similar fate as Philip?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
8. What does Philip's desire to get Paris to leave with him stem from?
(a) Fear of going on without Mollie
(b) Fear of being alone
(c) His ultimate desire to live
(d) Pure evil
9. What does the color of Philip's face represent?
10. How is Philip incapable of thinking?
(a) He is incapable of thinking about the safety of his child
(b) He is incapable of thinking rationaly
(c) He is incapable of thinking of anyone besides himself
(d) He is incapable of thinking positively
11. What does the state of the furniture in Paris's house make it look like the family is in the throws of?
12. Why does Mollie think Philip died?
(a) Because of his lack of writing success
(b) Because Mollie loved John
(c) Because of his mental health
(d) Because he was an unhappy man
13. What does the covered furniture symbolize?
(a) The future
(b) Philip's death
(c) The need to move on
(d) The ghosts of the past
14. In what kind of state is Philip when he recalls his boyhood?
15. How does Paris feel about his father's irrational behavior?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mollie the square root of wonderful?
2. Is Mollie awake when Philip leaves?
3. Where are Paris and his mother moving to?
4. What kind of surroundings does Philip prefer now as opposed to his boyhood?
5. What is the core reason or feeling why Paris does not go with his father?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)