|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only one that can reach Philip?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
(d) No one can reach him
2. Why is Mollie in seclusion in her room?
(a) She is depressed
(b) She is paralyzed with grief
(c) She does not believe the truth
(d) She is waiting for John
3. What is the best word to describe the scene between father and son when it becomes clear that Philip intends to kill himself?
4. With Mollie's bags packed, what does Mollie intend to do?
(a) To scare Philip
(b) To threaten to leave
(c) To leave her family
(d) To teach Mother Lovejoy a lesson
5. What is Mollie the most grateful for after Philip's death?
(a) Her whole extended family
(b) The house and her new life
(c) Paris and John
(d) Mother Lovejoy and Sister
6. What does Philip recall in response to Paris's outdoor plans for the day?
(a) His love of boating
(b) His love of the outdoors
(c) Paris's childhood
(d) His own childhood
7. How does Philip act when he discusses his course of action to leave with Paris?
8. What does the covered furniture symbolize?
(a) The future
(b) The need to move on
(c) Philip's death
(d) The ghosts of the past
9. How does Paris feel about his father's irrational behavior?
10. What is literary device is employed in Paris's statement that his father does not look well?
(a) It is irony
(b) It is imagery
(c) It is a foreshadowing
(d) It is personification
11. What was Mollie thinking at the moment of Philip's death that, because of their strong connection, she knows Philip knew about?
(a) The choice of her future husband
(b) Her love for Philip
12. What subject does John have a penchant for?
13. Why does Mother Lovejoy want to hire a limousine for Mollie?
(a) So no one can see inside
(b) So she may cry in peace
(c) For privacy from the public
(d) To show status
14. How is Philip incapable of thinking?
(a) He is incapable of thinking rationaly
(b) He is incapable of thinking of anyone besides himself
(c) He is incapable of thinking about the safety of his child
(d) He is incapable of thinking positively
15. Why does Philip need Paris to accompany him?
(a) To make his mother worry
(b) To save him from himself
(c) As payback to Mollie
(d) To soothe him from fear
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paris confess and confirm that Philip wanted to do with Paris the morning he left?
2. What does Philip consider the power of love to be?
3. What does Philip say to Paris regarding his feelings towards his relationship with Mollie?
4. What is Paris's answer to his father's idea to leave together?
5. When Philip was younger, how long did he think love and joy would last?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)