|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paris accuse his father of being to come up with such an idea of leaving?
2. What is the main realiziation that Philip has that pushes him over the edge?
(a) Mollie intends to leave him
(b) His writing career is doomed
(c) John is not going away
(d) His mother no longer supports him
3. Why is Mollie the square root of wonderful?
(a) Because she is the source of pride
(b) Because she is the source of passion
(c) Because she is the source of growing love
(d) Because she is the source of family
4. What is Philip inevitably intending to do because he cannot solve his own problems?
(a) Kidnap his son
(b) Run away
(c) Kill Mollie
(d) Kill himself
5. When Philip was younger, how long did he think love and joy would last?
(b) As long as he wanted it to
(c) He didn't know
(d) Until manhood
6. What does the color of Philip's face represent?
7. Why is Mollie in seclusion in her room?
(a) She does not believe the truth
(b) She is depressed
(c) She is paralyzed with grief
(d) She is waiting for John
8. How does Mother Lovejoy show that Paris is now the one she will love the most?
(a) By promising him a new life
(b) By promising him a new home
(c) By promising him an inheritance
(d) By promising him a new father
9. Why does Philip need Paris to accompany him?
(a) To soothe him from fear
(b) To save him from himself
(c) To make his mother worry
(d) As payback to Mollie
10. Who does John think Mollie must choose to save from a similar fate as Philip?
(c) Mother Lovejoy
11. What does the covered furniture symbolize?
(a) Philip's death
(b) The future
(c) The need to move on
(d) The ghosts of the past
12. What does John believe is the basis for his calculations of all human conditions?
(a) Genius or paralysis
(b) Safety or danger
(c) Sin or love
(d) Love or danger
13. What is Paris's explanation of his father's death?
(a) His father was in a car accident
(b) His father was in ill physical health
(c) His father was a victim of assault
(d) His father was murdered
14. Who does Mother Lovejoy say will inherit her estate when she dies?
(b) Mollie and Paris
15. What does Paris think that all the talk of the new house sounds like?
(a) The square root of terrific
(b) The square root of sin
(c) The square root of wonderful
(d) The square root of grief
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mother Lovejoy have tremendous distaste for in terms of the expression of emotions?
2. How does Paris feel about his father's irrational behavior?
3. What does Philip consider the power of love to be?
4. What does Mollie feel the new house will do to the relationship she has with John?
5. How does Mollie describe the memory of Philip?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)