|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What essentially trigger's Paris to decline his father's offer to leave together?
(a) The tone of Philip's voice
(b) The color of Philip's face
(c) The cold touch of Philip's hand
(d) The feeling in Philip's gut
2. What does the state of the furniture in Paris's house make it look like the family is in the throws of?
3. What is Philip inevitably intending to do because he cannot solve his own problems?
(a) Kidnap his son
(b) Kill himself
(c) Kill Mollie
(d) Run away
4. When Philip was younger, how long did he think love and joy would last?
(a) As long as he wanted it to
(b) Until manhood
(d) He didn't know
5. What does Paris go to do after his father discusses love and nature with him?
(a) To rouse Mollie
(b) To wake Sister
(c) To get ready to go fishing
(d) To find Mother Lovejoy
6. What does Philip's desire to get Paris to leave with him stem from?
(a) Fear of going on without Mollie
(b) Pure evil
(c) His ultimate desire to live
(d) Fear of being alone
7. In what kind of state is Philip when he recalls his boyhood?
8. What does Paris confess and confirm that Philip wanted to do with Paris the morning he left?
(a) Take Mollie with him
(b) Leave alone
(c) Take Paris with him
(d) Plot against John
9. What is the best word to describe the scene between father and son when it becomes clear that Philip intends to kill himself?
10. What has Mollie done in the middle of the night?
(a) Mollie has escaped with John
(b) Mollie has left Philip
(c) Mollie has packed her things
(d) Mollie has left alone
11. Who serves as the main voice of reason for Mollie during her grief?
(b) Mother Lovejoy
12. Who does John think Mollie must choose to save from a similar fate as Philip?
(b) Mother Lovejoy
13. What does Mother Lovejoy offer both Mollie and Paris should they ever need it?
(a) A home
(c) A car
(d) An education
14. What does Philip believe his only course of action because Mollie does not understand how much he loves her?
(a) To leave and take Paris with him
(b) To try one more time to resolve their love
(c) To force Mollie to come with them and start over
(d) To kidnap Mollie
15. Who is the only one that can reach Philip?
(a) No one can reach him
(c) Mother Lovejoy
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Philip incapable of thinking?
2. What does Mother Lovejoy claim the taxi cab driver will do that will be disturbing to Mollie and is the reason why they should chose another mode of transportation?
3. What does Philip now see love and nature to be?
4. What does Paris accuse his father of being to come up with such an idea of leaving?
5. Why does Mollie think Philip died?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)