|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paris accuse his father of being to come up with such an idea of leaving?
2. What kind of surroundings does Philip prefer now as opposed to his boyhood?
(a) Philip prefers only the company of Mollie
(b) Philip prefers the forest
(c) Philip prefers people around him
(d) Philip prefers the darkness
3. What is Philip's rationale for escaping with Paris?
(a) Philip needs to find work
(b) He must prove his is not mad
(c) Nothing else has worked to gain Mollie's love back
(d) They need to start over
4. What has Philip taken with him in the early morning after asking Paris to come away with him?
(b) A gun
(c) The car
5. What happens to Mollie's attitude after she hears John's story about the sailor?
(a) She gets more depressed
(b) She begins to understand
(c) She laughs
(d) She remains paralyzed
6. With Mollie's bags packed, what does Mollie intend to do?
(a) To threaten to leave
(b) To scare Philip
(c) To leave her family
(d) To teach Mother Lovejoy a lesson
7. What was Mollie thinking at the moment of Philip's death that, because of their strong connection, she knows Philip knew about?
(a) Her love for Philip
(c) The choice of her future husband
8. What does Philip believe his only course of action because Mollie does not understand how much he loves her?
(a) To force Mollie to come with them and start over
(b) To try one more time to resolve their love
(c) To leave and take Paris with him
(d) To kidnap Mollie
9. What literary device is John's story of his struggle to save the drowning sailor best described as?
(a) A metaphor
(b) An anecdote
(c) A simile
(d) An analogy
10. What is Philip inevitably intending to do because he cannot solve his own problems?
(a) Run away
(b) Kill Mollie
(c) Kidnap his son
(d) Kill himself
11. Why does Mother Lovejoy want to hire a limousine for Mollie?
(a) To show status
(b) So no one can see inside
(c) For privacy from the public
(d) So she may cry in peace
12. What will the family remember most about Philip?
(a) His care and his confusion
(b) His anger and his volatility
(c) His love and compassion
(d) His genuis and his angst
13. What color is Philips face?
14. Where is Philip by the time Mollie rises?
(a) He has left
(b) He has gone to the barn
(c) He is waiting in the car
(d) He is in the kitchen
15. What does Mollie feel the new house will do to the relationship she has with John?
(a) Bring them closer together
(b) Help raise Paris
(c) Provide an easier life
(d) Test their strength
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mother Lovejoy say will inherit her estate when she dies?
2. What does Paris think that all the talk of the new house sounds like?
3. What does John believe is the basis for his calculations of all human conditions?
4. What is Mollie the most grateful for after Philip's death?
5. Who has Mother Lovejoy transfered her affection to now that Philip has passed?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)