|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What plans has Paris made for the day that, in addition to other feelings, keeps him from wanting to leave?
(a) He plans to help John with the house
(b) He plans to go fishing
(c) He plans to play with his school friend
(d) He plans to go hiking
2. Who does John think Mollie must choose to save from a similar fate as Philip?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
3. What does Philip believe his only course of action because Mollie does not understand how much he loves her?
(a) To try one more time to resolve their love
(b) To leave and take Paris with him
(c) To force Mollie to come with them and start over
(d) To kidnap Mollie
4. When does Philip wake after his last tirade?
(a) Just before dawn
(b) Late in the morning
(c) At dawn
5. What does Paris go to do after his father discusses love and nature with him?
(a) To wake Sister
(b) To get ready to go fishing
(c) To rouse Mollie
(d) To find Mother Lovejoy
6. What is the core reason or feeling why Paris does not go with his father?
(d) True fear
7. What is the best word to describe the scene between father and son when it becomes clear that Philip intends to kill himself?
8. Where is Philip by the time Mollie rises?
(a) He is waiting in the car
(b) He is in the kitchen
(c) He has left
(d) He has gone to the barn
9. What does John believe is the basis for his calculations of all human conditions?
(a) Safety or danger
(b) Genius or paralysis
(c) Sin or love
(d) Love or danger
10. How does Paris respond to his father's idea of leaving?
(a) Paris is indifferent
(b) Paris strongly hesitates
(c) Paris becomes angry
(d) Paris agrees to go
11. What subject does John have a penchant for?
12. What is Paris's answer to his father's idea to leave together?
(a) Paris wants to tell his mother he is leaving
(b) Paris leaves willingly
(c) Paris is excited to leave the farm
(d) Paris refuses to leave
13. What is the main realiziation that Philip has that pushes him over the edge?
(a) John is not going away
(b) Mollie intends to leave him
(c) His mother no longer supports him
(d) His writing career is doomed
14. What does Mother Lovejoy offer both Mollie and Paris should they ever need it?
(a) A home
(b) A car
(d) An education
15. What has Mollie done in the middle of the night?
(a) Mollie has left Philip
(b) Mollie has left alone
(c) Mollie has packed her things
(d) Mollie has escaped with John
Short Answer Questions
1. What is name of the character who first comments on the furnishings in Paris's house?
2. Why does Mother Lovejoy want to hire a limousine for Mollie?
3. Who informs Philip that Mollie is prepared to leave?
4. Where is Mollie as Philip is talking to Paris about leaving together?
5. How does Mollie react to Paris's "square root of wonderful?"
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)