|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Paris describe the act of suicide?
(a) It is a weak act
(b) It is an act of courage
(c) It is an act of defeat
(d) It is inevitable for some people
2. What does Philip now see love and nature to be?
(b) Pure joy
(c) Fleeting happiness
(d) A struggle
3. What is name of the character who first comments on the furnishings in Paris's house?
(c) Mother Lovejoy
4. What does John talk about that brightens the mood of both Mollie and Paris?
(a) The fate of the farm
(b) The memory of Philip
(c) The love and support of Sister
(d) Their new house and life together
5. What are Mother Lovejoy and Sister preparing to do while Mollie is in seclusion?
(a) Preparing to return home
(b) Preparing the home for funeral guests
(c) Preparing the will and testament paperwork
(d) Preparing for the funeral
6. What is the story that John tells when relating to Paris's story regarding his father?
(a) A sailor that drowned himself
(b) A sailor who was sad
(c) A sailor who killed himself
(d) A sailor who kept pulling down John with him
7. When Philip was younger, how long did he think love and joy would last?
(a) Until manhood
(c) He didn't know
(d) As long as he wanted it to
8. Is Mollie awake when Philip leaves?
(b) She was awake, then falls back to sleep
(d) She is just waking
9. Where is Philip by the time Mollie rises?
(a) He is waiting in the car
(b) He has left
(c) He is in the kitchen
(d) He has gone to the barn
10. What does Paris think that all the talk of the new house sounds like?
(a) The square root of grief
(b) The square root of terrific
(c) The square root of sin
(d) The square root of wonderful
11. Which character is the most capable of showing personal affection as seen especially in Act 3?
(b) Mother Lovejoy
12. What is literary device is employed in Paris's statement that his father does not look well?
(a) It is imagery
(b) It is personification
(c) It is irony
(d) It is a foreshadowing
13. What will John provide for his new family that Philip was unable to provide?
(a) A strict disciplinarian
(b) A loving father relationship
(c) A friendship
(d) A strong foundation
14. Who is the only one that can reach Philip?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
(c) No one can reach him
15. How does Mother Lovejoy show that Paris is now the one she will love the most?
(a) By promising him an inheritance
(b) By promising him a new father
(c) By promising him a new home
(d) By promising him a new life
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main realiziation that Philip has that pushes him over the edge?
2. What is the best phrase to describe Philip's perception of his world during this dark time?
3. Where are Paris and his mother moving to?
4. What is Paris's explanation of his father's death?
5. Who serves as the main voice of reason for Mollie during her grief?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)