|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paris go to do after his father discusses love and nature with him?
(a) To wake Sister
(b) To get ready to go fishing
(c) To find Mother Lovejoy
(d) To rouse Mollie
2. What does Philip recall in response to Paris's outdoor plans for the day?
(a) His love of boating
(b) His own childhood
(c) His love of the outdoors
(d) Paris's childhood
3. What is the core reason or feeling why Paris does not go with his father?
(b) True fear
4. Who does Mother Lovejoy say will inherit her estate when she dies?
(c) Mollie and Paris
5. What is Philip's emotional state during the third act?
(a) A state of freedom
(b) A state of depression
(c) A state of despair
(d) A state of rage
6. What does Philip say to Paris regarding his feelings towards his relationship with Mollie?
(a) He wants the family to grow
(b) He wants to marry her
(c) He cannot live without her
(d) He knows Mollie is too scared to leave him
7. What does Mother Lovejoy offer both Mollie and Paris should they ever need it?
(a) A home
(b) An education
(c) A car
8. What is Philip's rationale for escaping with Paris?
(a) Nothing else has worked to gain Mollie's love back
(b) They need to start over
(c) Philip needs to find work
(d) He must prove his is not mad
9. What does Paris confess and confirm that Philip wanted to do with Paris the morning he left?
(a) Take Paris with him
(b) Take Mollie with him
(c) Leave alone
(d) Plot against John
10. When does Philip wake after his last tirade?
(a) Late in the morning
(b) At dawn
(d) Just before dawn
11. Where is Mollie as Philip is talking to Paris about leaving together?
(a) She is outside with John
(b) She is preparing breakfast
(c) She is talking with Mother Lovejoy
(d) She is sleeping
12. How does Paris respond to his father's idea of leaving?
(a) Paris is indifferent
(b) Paris strongly hesitates
(c) Paris agrees to go
(d) Paris becomes angry
13. What is Philip inevitably intending to do because he cannot solve his own problems?
(a) Run away
(b) Kill Mollie
(c) Kill himself
(d) Kidnap his son
14. How is Philip incapable of thinking?
(a) He is incapable of thinking of anyone besides himself
(b) He is incapable of thinking about the safety of his child
(c) He is incapable of thinking rationaly
(d) He is incapable of thinking positively
15. What does Mollie feel the new house will do to the relationship she has with John?
(a) Provide an easier life
(b) Help raise Paris
(c) Bring them closer together
(d) Test their strength
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John believe is the basis for his calculations of all human conditions?
2. What does Philip believe his only course of action because Mollie does not understand how much he loves her?
3. What does Paris accuse his father of being to come up with such an idea of leaving?
4. Who does Mollie blame for Philip's death?
5. How does Mother Lovejoy show that Paris is now the one she will love the most?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)