|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does John think Mollie must choose to save from a similar fate as Philip?
(c) Mother Lovejoy
2. What was Mollie thinking at the moment of Philip's death that, because of their strong connection, she knows Philip knew about?
(c) Her love for Philip
(d) The choice of her future husband
3. Where are Paris and his mother moving to?
(a) New York City
(b) Brookyn Yard
(c) Bronx Village
(d) Brooklyn Heights
4. What is Paris's explanation of his father's death?
(a) His father was a victim of assault
(b) His father was in a car accident
(c) His father was in ill physical health
(d) His father was murdered
5. What has Philip done to convince Mollie that he loves her?
(a) Become enraged with passion over her
(b) Threatened her
(c) Everything he can
(d) Used his son to get to her
6. What does Philip's desire to get Paris to leave with him stem from?
(a) Pure evil
(b) Fear of going on without Mollie
(c) Fear of being alone
(d) His ultimate desire to live
7. What does John believe is the basis for his calculations of all human conditions?
(a) Sin or love
(b) Love or danger
(c) Genius or paralysis
(d) Safety or danger
8. What happens to Mollie's attitude after she hears John's story about the sailor?
(a) She remains paralyzed
(b) She begins to understand
(c) She laughs
(d) She gets more depressed
9. What does Mollie feel the new house will do to the relationship she has with John?
(a) Test their strength
(b) Provide an easier life
(c) Bring them closer together
(d) Help raise Paris
10. When Philip was younger, how long did he think love and joy would last?
(b) Until manhood
(c) He didn't know
(d) As long as he wanted it to
11. What is John's profession of an architect a metaphor of?
(a) Rebuilding Mollie and Paris's lives
(b) Housing a family
(c) Building a new way of thinking
(d) Stiking out on his own
12. With Mollie's bags packed, what does Mollie intend to do?
(a) To threaten to leave
(b) To scare Philip
(c) To teach Mother Lovejoy a lesson
(d) To leave her family
13. What are Mother Lovejoy and Sister preparing to do while Mollie is in seclusion?
(a) Preparing to return home
(b) Preparing the will and testament paperwork
(c) Preparing for the funeral
(d) Preparing the home for funeral guests
14. How does Mollie react when she learns what her ex-husband had intended to do just hours before his death?
(a) She is in shock
(b) She is confused
(c) She is angered
(d) She is horror-stricken
15. What is literary device is employed in Paris's statement that his father does not look well?
(a) It is irony
(b) It is personification
(c) It is imagery
(d) It is a foreshadowing
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the covered furniture symbolize?
2. What does Paris accuse his father of being to come up with such an idea of leaving?
3. How does Mollie react to Paris's "square root of wonderful?"
4. What is the best word to describe the scene between father and son when it becomes clear that Philip intends to kill himself?
5. What does Philip recall in response to Paris's outdoor plans for the day?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)