|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character tries to calm Philip down when he is upset with Mollie for wanting to leave him?
(c) Mother Lovejoy
2. What happened as a result of Mollie and Philip's first romantic encounter?
(a) They got married
(b) Mollie got pregnant
(c) They stopped dating
(d) Philip proposed
3. What does John consider a betrayal?
(a) Philip's attempts to disuade him
(b) Philip's actions towards Paris
(c) Mollie's indecision
(d) Mollie and Philip's intimacy
4. What kind of institution do we learn Philip is being released from in the beginning of the play?
(a) The sanatorium
(c) The hospital
(d) The military
5. What do Mother Lovejoy and Sister continue to do to Mollie now that Philip is back?
(a) Attempt to sway Mollie into dating again someone new
(b) Attempt to sway Mollie into re-marrying Philip
(c) Attempt to sway Mollie into marrying John
(d) Attempt to sway Mollie to convince Philip to quiting writing
6. What does Philip want to accomplish now that he has been released from the sanatorium?
(a) Become an actor
(b) Take a job in town
(c) Become a doctor
(d) Write another novel
7. What has Sister never done that seems to astound others?
(a) Had a proper education
(b) Taken pride in her appearance
(c) Gotten married
8. Why do most of Philip's family members tend to forgive him, even though he is a violent and volatile man?
(a) He has redemptive charm
(b) He is honest
(c) He is dedicated
(d) He is extremely loyal
9. What quality does John have that Philip does not that keeps John on a steady path?
(a) Mental strength
(b) Emotional strength
(c) Strength of heart
(d) Physical strength
10. Where does Sister work?
(a) In the hospital
(b) As a baker
(c) In the schoolhouse
(d) In the library
11. Who does Philip question about why no one has ever tried to stop his destructive behavior?
(c) Mother Lovejoy
12. How does Molly respond to John's desire to commit to her?
(a) She tells him yes
(b) She tells him to sleep on it
(c) She tells him directly no
(d) She tells him maybe
13. What bores Philip as he is talking with Mollie after his stay in the sanatorium?
(a) Talk of Sister
(b) Talk of farmhouse life
(c) Talk of John Tucker
(d) Talk of therapy
14. What does John's profession symbolize to Mollie?
(a) Strength of character
(b) The rebuilding of a new life
(c) Safety and security
(d) The height of certain dreams
15. What does Philip want to be in terms of a career?
(a) A poet
(b) A successful writer
(c) A politician
(d) A successful actor
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Mollie's ex-husband?
2. What event does the dream that Paris has in the beginning of the play foreshadow?
3. What is the name of Paris's friend from school?
4. How did Paris feel while his father was away?
5. What quality of Philip has served as the backdrop for the tumultuous lives of his family?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)