|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is John's profession?
2. What does John ask Mollie when he meets up with her in the house?
(a) John asks Mollie to help him build his house
(b) John asks Mollie to wait for him
(c) John asks Mollie to marry him
(d) John asks Mollie for coffee
3. How does John describe the act of someone hurting your feelings to Paris?
(a) It is a loss of self-worth
(b) It is a loss of self-esteem
(c) It is a loss of pride
(d) It is a loss of dignity
4. Who is Sister?
(a) John's niece
(b) Mother Lovejoy's sister
(c) Philip's sister
(d) Mollie's sister
5. Who does Philip question about why no one has ever tried to stop his destructive behavior?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
6. Why does Mollie always take Philip back, despite his violent tendencies?
(a) He is charming
(b) His solid Christianity
(c) His fidelity
(d) He is good natured
7. What mode of transportation did Philip take to arrive home sooner than expected?
8. What does Mollie tell Philip she intends to do that will affect her relationship with him?
(a) Leave with Philip
(b) Leave with John
(c) Marry John
(d) Marry Philip
9. What quality does John have that Philip does not that keeps John on a steady path?
(a) Physical strength
(b) Strength of heart
(c) Emotional strength
(d) Mental strength
10. What is the best description for the relationship between Mollie and Philip?
11. What does Paris carry in his arms when he returns from the barn?
(a) Blueprints of a John's house
(b) Logs for the fire
(c) A stack of hay
(d) The town newspaper
12. What quality does Mollie possess that Sister does not and is the reason why Sister remains single?
13. Where did Mollie meet her new love?
(a) On the side of the road
(b) Through mutual friends
(c) At a local bar
(d) At church
14. What needs to be reconciled in order for John and Mollie to begin building a new life for the two of them?
(a) Philip's madness
(b) Philip's emotional debris
(c) Philip's lack of understanding
(d) Philip's control over Mollie
15. According to John, what is humiliation the same as?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mollie commend Philip on when she first sees him after his stay in the sanatorium?
2. What are the rumors in town regarding Philip?
3. What does John tell Paris is the one thing that kills a person's pride?
4. Who is Mother Lovejoy placing the onus of saving Philip upon?
5. Where do Mollie and Philip retreat to following their initial conversation and initial greeting?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)