|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John think Philip has done to Mollie to keep her in love with him?
(a) Paid her
(b) Scared her
(c) Threatened her with violence
(d) Cast a spell on her
2. What kind of relationship does Philip have with the writing profession?
3. At the dinner table, what does Philip dissuade John from doing?
(a) Trying to make friends with him
(b) Building his house
(c) Making advances towards Mollie
(d) Staying on the property as a tenant
4. What has Sister never done that seems to astound others?
(a) Had a proper education
(b) Gotten married
(c) Taken pride in her appearance
5. Who does Philip turn to automatically when his psyche is challenged and he needs reprieve?
(d) Mother Lovejoy
6. What kind of institution do we learn Philip is being released from in the beginning of the play?
(a) The military
(b) The hospital
(d) The sanatorium
7. Why has Mollie been awake instead of sleeping when the play opens?
(a) She was consoling Sister
(b) She has been discussing plans with her new tenant John
(c) She was arguing with her ex-husband
(d) She was preparing a stew
8. What does Paris carry in his arms when he returns from the barn?
(a) A stack of hay
(b) Logs for the fire
(c) Blueprints of a John's house
(d) The town newspaper
9. What quality does Mollie possess that Sister does not and is the reason why Sister remains single?
10. What does John tell Paris is the one thing that kills a person's pride?
11. What happened as a result of Mollie and Philip's first romantic encounter?
(a) Philip proposed
(b) Mollie got pregnant
(c) They stopped dating
(d) They got married
12. What does Paris confide in John that he has not confided in his father?
(a) The insecurities of adolescence
(b) His resentment of his father
(c) His sadness
(d) his anger towards his father
13. What is slowly happening to Philip's family as he continues to display anger and engage in violent outbursts?
(a) They are becoming fitful
(b) They are becoming weary
(c) They are becoming strong
(d) They are becoming more forgiving
14. What does Philip say he will do if Mollie leaves him?
(a) He will take Paris away
(b) He will find her
(c) He will come after John
(d) He will die
15. What does Philip want to accomplish now that he has been released from the sanatorium?
(a) Write another novel
(b) Become an actor
(c) Become a doctor
(d) Take a job in town
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sister strictly advise Mollie not to do in terms of her relationship with John Tucker?
2. What does Philip apologize to Paris about regarding his time away?
3. What does Philip eventually conclude about himself regarding his failures?
4. What does Philip admit to Mollie that he needs and can't go on living without?
5. What does John offer Mollie that Phillip cannot?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)