|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mother Lovejoy and Sister continue to do to Mollie now that Philip is back?
(a) Attempt to sway Mollie into dating again someone new
(b) Attempt to sway Mollie into marrying John
(c) Attempt to sway Mollie to convince Philip to quiting writing
(d) Attempt to sway Mollie into re-marrying Philip
2. What does the character of John represent to Mollie and Paris in terms of their future?
(a) He is a source of pride
(b) He is a beacon of hope
(c) He is a sensitive and caring friend
(d) He is a positive role model
3. What did it take for Mollie to fall in love with Philip?
(a) A touch of the hand
(b) A marriage proposal
(c) A long courtship process
(d) One kiss
4. Who does Philip question about why no one has ever tried to stop his destructive behavior?
(b) Mother Lovejoy
5. What needs to be reconciled in order for John and Mollie to begin building a new life for the two of them?
(a) Philip's control over Mollie
(b) Philip's emotional debris
(c) Philip's madness
(d) Philip's lack of understanding
6. What does Philip eventually conclude about himself regarding his failures?
(a) That he has no talent
(b) That he is unworthy
(c) That he is to blame
(d) That he is a killjoy
7. What does Philip want to be in terms of a career?
(a) A politician
(b) A successful writer
(c) A successful actor
(d) A poet
8. What does Sister strictly advise Mollie not to do in terms of her relationship with John Tucker?
(a) Marry him
(b) Ask him to leave
(c) Have children with him
(d) Hurt him
9. How does John describe the act of someone hurting your feelings to Paris?
(a) It is a loss of dignity
(b) It is a loss of pride
(c) It is a loss of self-esteem
(d) It is a loss of self-worth
10. What is the name of Mollie's ex-husband?
11. Why does Mollie hold her new lover at bay with her affections?
(a) Because falling in love is not casual to Mollie
(b) Because falling in love is too scary for Molly
(c) Because falling in love is too painful for Mollie
(d) Because falling in love is really only lust in disguise to Molly
12. Who is Mother Lovejoy placing the onus of saving Philip upon?
(d) Philip himself
13. What does John confess his ex-wife did that destroyed their marriage and John's faith in marriage?
(a) She did not want children
(b) She was unfaithful
(c) She paid more attention to his friends than to him
(d) She was abusive
14. What does John's profession symbolize to Mollie?
(a) The rebuilding of a new life
(b) The height of certain dreams
(c) Strength of character
(d) Safety and security
15. What is the best description for the relationship between Mollie and Philip?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character tries to calm Philip down when he is upset with Mollie for wanting to leave him?
2. Where are Mother Lovejoy and Sister staying in anticipation of Philip's homecoming?
3. Where does the play open?
4. Who is Sister?
5. What are the rumors in town regarding Philip?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)