|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paris dream of at the beginning of the play?
(a) His father joining the army
(b) His father reading to him
(c) His father being a burglar
(d) His father teaching him skills
2. What does Philip employ as a winning strategy when he tells Mollie that he will die if she leaves him?
(a) A guilt mechanism
(b) A moral obligation
(c) A bribery mechanism
(d) An ultimatum
3. Who does Philip primarily blame for his emotional angst?
(b) His mother
4. What do both Mother Lovejoy and Sister honestly think of the state of Philip and Mollie's turbulent relationship during Act 1?
(a) Philip wants to win Mollie back
(b) Philip loves another woman
(c) Mollie does not love Philip
(d) Philip still loves Mollie
5. What does the character of Mollie rely on most when she makes a decision?
6. Why does Philip's family continue to forgive him even when his genius and madness seem to overshadow his entire self?
(a) They believe he is sick
(b) They love him
(c) They are numb to him
(d) They are afraid of him
7. Who has Mollie recently fallen in love with?
8. What quality of Philip has served as the backdrop for the tumultuous lives of his family?
(a) His artistic genius
(b) His compassionate friendship
(c) His violent rages
(d) His loving relationships
9. Why does Mollie always take Philip back, despite his violent tendencies?
(a) He is good natured
(b) His solid Christianity
(c) His fidelity
(d) He is charming
10. What does Paris carry in his arms when he returns from the barn?
(a) Blueprints of a John's house
(b) Logs for the fire
(c) The town newspaper
(d) A stack of hay
11. What is the name of Mollie's ex-husband?
12. If Philip were to re-marry Mollie, how would Mother Lovejoy benefit?
(a) She would benefit by having a big family
(b) She would benefit economically
(c) She would benefit by heightening her social status
(d) She would benefit by keeping the house
13. What kind of relationship does Philip have with the writing profession?
14. What do Mother Lovejoy and Sister continue to do to Mollie now that Philip is back?
(a) Attempt to sway Mollie into dating again someone new
(b) Attempt to sway Mollie into re-marrying Philip
(c) Attempt to sway Mollie to convince Philip to quiting writing
(d) Attempt to sway Mollie into marrying John
15. What does Philip want more than anything else after he returns from the sanatorium?
(a) To re-marry Mollie
(b) To further develop the farm
(c) To have more children
(d) To feel and live again
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Mollie and Philip retreat to following their initial conversation and initial greeting?
2. Where does Sister work?
3. Who is aghast that John could love Mollie after such a short time?
4. What does Mother Lovejoy notice has changed in Mollie now that Philip has returned?
5. What does Philip believe his artistic brilliance to be?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)