|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mode of transportation did Philip take to arrive home sooner than expected?
2. What does Philip apologize to Paris about regarding his time away?
(a) For going away altogether
(b) Not coming back earlier
(c) Leaving so much of the farm work to Paris
(d) Leaving Paris with his mother
3. What does Mollie tell Philip she intends to do that will affect her relationship with him?
(a) Leave with John
(b) Leave with Philip
(c) Marry John
(d) Marry Philip
4. What does Philip's mother do after Philip lashes out in anger towards her because of the state of his life?
(a) She says Mollie is to blame for Philip's anger
(b) She breaks down into tears
(c) She goes to find Sister for support
(d) She packs her bags to go
5. What kind of institution do we learn Philip is being released from in the beginning of the play?
(a) The military
(b) The hospital
(d) The sanatorium
6. What does Philip employ as a winning strategy when he tells Mollie that he will die if she leaves him?
(a) A bribery mechanism
(b) An ultimatum
(c) A moral obligation
(d) A guilt mechanism
7. What quality of Philip has served as the backdrop for the tumultuous lives of his family?
(a) His loving relationships
(b) His compassionate friendship
(c) His violent rages
(d) His artistic genius
8. Where are Mother Lovejoy and Sister staying in anticipation of Philip's homecoming?
(a) Sister's house
(b) Mother Lovejoy's house
(c) John Tucker's house
(d) Mollie's house
9. What does Philip want to be in terms of a career?
(a) A politician
(b) A successful writer
(c) A poet
(d) A successful actor
10. What does Mollie commend Philip on when she first sees him after his stay in the sanatorium?
(a) His progress
(b) His manners
(c) His looks
(d) His kindness
11. Why does Mollie hold her new lover at bay with her affections?
(a) Because falling in love is really only lust in disguise to Molly
(b) Because falling in love is too scary for Molly
(c) Because falling in love is not casual to Mollie
(d) Because falling in love is too painful for Mollie
12. How does Molly respond to John's desire to commit to her?
(a) She tells him to sleep on it
(b) She tells him maybe
(c) She tells him directly no
(d) She tells him yes
13. Why does Philip's family continue to forgive him even when his genius and madness seem to overshadow his entire self?
(a) They love him
(b) They are afraid of him
(c) They are numb to him
(d) They believe he is sick
14. What quality does John have that Philip does not that keeps John on a steady path?
(a) Emotional strength
(b) Mental strength
(c) Strength of heart
(d) Physical strength
15. What does John confess his ex-wife did that destroyed their marriage and John's faith in marriage?
(a) She was abusive
(b) She paid more attention to his friends than to him
(c) She did not want children
(d) She was unfaithful
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John's profession?
2. What needs to be reconciled in order for John and Mollie to begin building a new life for the two of them?
3. What is the name of Mollie's ex-husband?
4. In the beginning of Act 2, what activity has Philip resumed?
5. What does John offer Mollie that Phillip cannot?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)