|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mollie hold her new lover at bay with her affections?
(a) Because falling in love is too painful for Mollie
(b) Because falling in love is not casual to Mollie
(c) Because falling in love is too scary for Molly
(d) Because falling in love is really only lust in disguise to Molly
2. Which character does Philip have questions about the moment he arrives home?
(b) Mother Lovejoy
3. What does John consider a betrayal?
(a) Philip's actions towards Paris
(b) Philip's attempts to disuade him
(c) Mollie's indecision
(d) Mollie and Philip's intimacy
4. Where do Mollie and Philip retreat to following their initial conversation and initial greeting?
(a) The bedroom
(b) The porch step
(c) Outside under the stars
(d) The living room
5. What does John think Philip has done to Mollie to keep her in love with him?
(a) Cast a spell on her
(b) Threatened her with violence
(c) Paid her
(d) Scared her
6. What quality does John have that Philip does not that keeps John on a steady path?
(a) Emotional strength
(b) Mental strength
(c) Strength of heart
(d) Physical strength
7. Where did Mollie meet her new love?
(a) Through mutual friends
(b) At a local bar
(c) On the side of the road
(d) At church
8. Why has Mollie been awake instead of sleeping when the play opens?
(a) She has been discussing plans with her new tenant John
(b) She was consoling Sister
(c) She was arguing with her ex-husband
(d) She was preparing a stew
9. What does John ask Mollie when he meets up with her in the house?
(a) John asks Mollie to marry him
(b) John asks Mollie to help him build his house
(c) John asks Mollie for coffee
(d) John asks Mollie to wait for him
10. If Philip were to re-marry Mollie, how would Mother Lovejoy benefit?
(a) She would benefit by having a big family
(b) She would benefit by keeping the house
(c) She would benefit by heightening her social status
(d) She would benefit economically
11. What has Sister never done that seems to astound others?
(a) Taken pride in her appearance
(b) Gotten married
(d) Had a proper education
12. What does Philip apologize to Paris about regarding his time away?
(a) Leaving Paris with his mother
(b) For going away altogether
(c) Not coming back earlier
(d) Leaving so much of the farm work to Paris
13. What does Philip employ as a winning strategy when he tells Mollie that he will die if she leaves him?
(a) A moral obligation
(b) A guilt mechanism
(c) A bribery mechanism
(d) An ultimatum
14. According to John, what is someone hurting your feelings the square root of?
15. What does the character of Mollie rely on most when she makes a decision?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip want to be in terms of a career?
2. How does Molly respond to John's desire to commit to her?
3. What is the name of the new man in Mollie's life?
4. At the dinner table, what does Philip dissuade John from doing?
5. What does Philip eventually conclude about himself regarding his failures?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)