|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John confess his ex-wife did that destroyed their marriage and John's faith in marriage?
(a) She was unfaithful
(b) She paid more attention to his friends than to him
(c) She was abusive
(d) She did not want children
2. Who does Philip turn to automatically when his psyche is challenged and he needs reprieve?
(d) Mother Lovejoy
3. Why does Mollie always take Philip back, despite his violent tendencies?
(a) He is good natured
(b) His fidelity
(c) He is charming
(d) His solid Christianity
4. What quality does John have that Philip does not that keeps John on a steady path?
(a) Strength of heart
(b) Physical strength
(c) Mental strength
(d) Emotional strength
5. What are the rumors in town regarding Philip?
(a) He is in a crazy emotional state
(b) He is violent and abusive
(c) His wife is having an affair
(d) He will return to the sanatorium
6. What happens when Philip grabs Mollie in a fit of anger?
(a) John enters the scene
(b) Mollie falls down
(c) Mollie screams
(d) He tears her dress
7. What does the character of John represent to Mollie and Paris in terms of their future?
(a) He is a sensitive and caring friend
(b) He is a positive role model
(c) He is a source of pride
(d) He is a beacon of hope
8. Why does Philip's family continue to forgive him even when his genius and madness seem to overshadow his entire self?
(a) They are afraid of him
(b) They love him
(c) They are numb to him
(d) They believe he is sick
9. If Philip were to re-marry Mollie, how would Mother Lovejoy benefit?
(a) She would benefit by having a big family
(b) She would benefit by heightening her social status
(c) She would benefit economically
(d) She would benefit by keeping the house
10. What kind of family did Philip originally come from?
(a) An abusive family
(b) A middle class family
(c) A prominent family
(d) A poor family
11. What is the best description for the relationship between Mollie and Philip?
12. How does Mollie react to the sudden and unexpected presence of Philip?
13. What kind of institution do we learn Philip is being released from in the beginning of the play?
(b) The sanatorium
(c) The military
(d) The hospital
14. What is slowly happening to Philip's family as he continues to display anger and engage in violent outbursts?
(a) They are becoming strong
(b) They are becoming weary
(c) They are becoming more forgiving
(d) They are becoming fitful
15. What event does the dream that Paris has in the beginning of the play foreshadow?
(a) His father's lack of commitment
(b) His father's return
(c) His father's violence
(d) His father's love
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John think Philip has done to Mollie to keep her in love with him?
2. What does John's profession symbolize to Mollie?
3. What is the main way the character of Sister is different from the character of Philip?
4. What did Mollie and Philip do the day they met?
5. What does Philip say he will do if Mollie leaves him?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)