|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John tell Paris is the one thing that kills a person's pride?
2. Which character does Philip have questions about the moment he arrives home?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
3. Who does the character of John believe needs to be saved the most in this situation?
4. What does the character of Mollie rely on most when she makes a decision?
5. What does John consider a betrayal?
(a) Mollie's indecision
(b) Philip's attempts to disuade him
(c) Philip's actions towards Paris
(d) Mollie and Philip's intimacy
6. What does Paris confide in John that he has not confided in his father?
(a) his anger towards his father
(b) His resentment of his father
(c) The insecurities of adolescence
(d) His sadness
7. Where do Mollie and Philip retreat to following their initial conversation and initial greeting?
(a) Outside under the stars
(b) The porch step
(c) The living room
(d) The bedroom
8. If Philip were to re-marry Mollie, how would Mother Lovejoy benefit?
(a) She would benefit by heightening her social status
(b) She would benefit economically
(c) She would benefit by keeping the house
(d) She would benefit by having a big family
9. What quality does Philip display as equally as his madness?
(a) His sensitivity
(b) His kindness
(c) His genius
(d) His compassion
10. What is the name of the new man in Mollie's life?
(a) Paul Tucker
(b) John Taylor
(c) Philip Lovejoy
(d) John Tucker
11. Why does Mollie hold her new lover at bay with her affections?
(a) Because falling in love is really only lust in disguise to Molly
(b) Because falling in love is too scary for Molly
(c) Because falling in love is too painful for Mollie
(d) Because falling in love is not casual to Mollie
12. What does Philip suffer from that has led him to suicide attempts in the past?
13. What does Philip apologize to Paris about regarding his time away?
(a) For going away altogether
(b) Not coming back earlier
(c) Leaving so much of the farm work to Paris
(d) Leaving Paris with his mother
14. What is slowly happening to Philip's family as he continues to display anger and engage in violent outbursts?
(a) They are becoming fitful
(b) They are becoming strong
(c) They are becoming more forgiving
(d) They are becoming weary
15. What does Philip say he will do if Mollie leaves him?
(a) He will die
(b) He will take Paris away
(c) He will come after John
(d) He will find her
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mollie always take Philip back, despite his violent tendencies?
2. What does Philip employ as a winning strategy when he tells Mollie that he will die if she leaves him?
3. What does Philip want to be in terms of a career?
4. Which character tries to calm Philip down when he is upset with Mollie for wanting to leave him?
5. How is Mollie mentally affected by Philip's emotional outbursts?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)