|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does John describe the act of someone hurting your feelings to Paris?
(a) It is a loss of self-esteem
(b) It is a loss of pride
(c) It is a loss of dignity
(d) It is a loss of self-worth
2. Where does the play open?
(a) In the kitchen of the farmhouse
(b) In the living room of the farmhouse
(c) In the bedroom of the farmhouse
(d) In the family room of the farmhouse
3. Who has Mollie recently fallen in love with?
4. What does John consider a betrayal?
(a) Philip's actions towards Paris
(b) Mollie's indecision
(c) Mollie and Philip's intimacy
(d) Philip's attempts to disuade him
5. How is Mollie mentally affected by Philip's emotional outbursts?
(a) She becomes passive aggressive
(b) She slides into a depression
(c) She becomes indifferent to emotions
(d) She is paralyzed in fear
6. What is the main way the character of Sister is different from the character of Philip?
(a) She is abusive
(b) She is quiet
(c) She is gentle
(d) She is smart
7. Who is aghast that John could love Mollie after such a short time?
(b) Mother Lovejoy
8. After John's proposal to Mollie, which character enters the home?
(d) Mother Lovejoy
9. How long has Mollie known her new love?
(a) One week
(b) One year
(c) Six months
(d) Ten days
10. What does Philip want to be in terms of a career?
(a) A successful actor
(b) A politician
(c) A successful writer
(d) A poet
11. Why has Mollie been awake instead of sleeping when the play opens?
(a) She was consoling Sister
(b) She was preparing a stew
(c) She has been discussing plans with her new tenant John
(d) She was arguing with her ex-husband
12. Which character does Philip have questions about the moment he arrives home?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
13. In the beginning of Act 2, what activity has Philip resumed?
14. According to John, what is someone hurting your feelings the square root of?
15. What mode of transportation did Philip take to arrive home sooner than expected?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mollie always take Philip back, despite his violent tendencies?
2. What does Sister strictly advise Mollie not to do in terms of her relationship with John Tucker?
3. What does Philip eventually conclude about himself regarding his failures?
4. How does Molly respond to John's desire to commit to her?
5. What does Philip want to accomplish now that he has been released from the sanatorium?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)