|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Philip want to be in terms of a career?
(a) A politician
(b) A successful writer
(c) A poet
(d) A successful actor
2. What quality does John have that Philip does not that keeps John on a steady path?
(a) Strength of heart
(b) Physical strength
(c) Emotional strength
(d) Mental strength
3. What does John's profession symbolize to Mollie?
(a) The rebuilding of a new life
(b) Safety and security
(c) Strength of character
(d) The height of certain dreams
4. Why do most of Philip's family members tend to forgive him, even though he is a violent and volatile man?
(a) He has redemptive charm
(b) He is dedicated
(c) He is honest
(d) He is extremely loyal
5. Who is Sister?
(a) Mollie's sister
(b) John's niece
(c) Mother Lovejoy's sister
(d) Philip's sister
6. What is the name of Mollie's ex-husband?
7. What is the best description for the relationship between Mollie and Philip?
8. What quality does Mollie possess that Sister does not and is the reason why Sister remains single?
9. What happened as a result of Mollie and Philip's first romantic encounter?
(a) They got married
(b) Mollie got pregnant
(c) Philip proposed
(d) They stopped dating
10. What does John tell Paris is the one thing that kills a person's pride?
11. Where does Sister work?
(a) In the schoolhouse
(b) In the library
(c) As a baker
(d) In the hospital
12. What bores Philip as he is talking with Mollie after his stay in the sanatorium?
(a) Talk of John Tucker
(b) Talk of therapy
(c) Talk of farmhouse life
(d) Talk of Sister
13. Who does Philip question about why no one has ever tried to stop his destructive behavior?
(d) Mother Lovejoy
14. What are the rumors in town regarding Philip?
(a) His wife is having an affair
(b) He is in a crazy emotional state
(c) He is violent and abusive
(d) He will return to the sanatorium
15. What type of writing has Philip published?
(a) A book
(b) A newpaper article
(c) A magazine article
(d) A short story
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the play open?
2. What gift does Philip give Paris for his forgotten birthday?
3. What did it take for Mollie to fall in love with Philip?
4. In the past, what did those who loved Philip tend to do immediately following an outburst of violence or anger?
5. What does Paris dream of at the beginning of the play?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)