|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the rumors in town regarding Philip?
(a) He is violent and abusive
(b) His wife is having an affair
(c) He will return to the sanatorium
(d) He is in a crazy emotional state
2. What quality does Mollie possess that Sister does not and is the reason why Sister remains single?
3. What is slowly happening to Philip's family as he continues to display anger and engage in violent outbursts?
(a) They are becoming strong
(b) They are becoming weary
(c) They are becoming fitful
(d) They are becoming more forgiving
4. What quality does John have that Philip does not that keeps John on a steady path?
(a) Emotional strength
(b) Mental strength
(c) Physical strength
(d) Strength of heart
5. What is the best description for the relationship between Mollie and Philip?
6. Who has Mollie recently fallen in love with?
7. In the beginning of Act 2, what activity has Philip resumed?
8. What quality of Philip has served as the backdrop for the tumultuous lives of his family?
(a) His artistic genius
(b) His compassionate friendship
(c) His loving relationships
(d) His violent rages
9. What does Mother Lovejoy notice has changed in Mollie now that Philip has returned?
(a) She has become more graceful
(b) She has been smiling
(c) She has lost weight
(d) She has a certain glow
10. What does Philip say he will do if Mollie leaves him?
(a) He will die
(b) He will take Paris away
(c) He will come after John
(d) He will find her
11. What does Sister assure Philip will happen if he calms himself from the fight with Mollie and just comes back home?
(a) He would regain mental clarity
(b) He might fall in love with another woman
(c) He would make sound decisions
(d) He could write in peace and quite
12. Who is Mollie comforting at the beginning of the play?
13. According to John, what is someone hurting your feelings the square root of?
14. Who is Mother Lovejoy placing the onus of saving Philip upon?
(c) Philip himself
15. What does Philip's mother do after Philip lashes out in anger towards her because of the state of his life?
(a) She goes to find Sister for support
(b) She says Mollie is to blame for Philip's anger
(c) She breaks down into tears
(d) She packs her bags to go
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John confess his ex-wife did that destroyed their marriage and John's faith in marriage?
2. What does John's profession symbolize to Mollie?
3. If Philip were to re-marry Mollie, how would Mother Lovejoy benefit?
4. What does Philip suffer from that has led him to suicide attempts in the past?
5. Who does Philip primarily blame for his emotional angst?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)