|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Mollie been awake instead of sleeping when the play opens?
(a) She was consoling Sister
(b) She was arguing with her ex-husband
(c) She was preparing a stew
(d) She has been discussing plans with her new tenant John
2. What does Philip want to be in terms of a career?
(a) A successful writer
(b) A poet
(c) A politician
(d) A successful actor
3. Where do Mollie and Philip retreat to following their initial conversation and initial greeting?
(a) The living room
(b) The porch step
(c) Outside under the stars
(d) The bedroom
4. How did Paris feel while his father was away?
5. How does Molly respond to John's desire to commit to her?
(a) She tells him to sleep on it
(b) She tells him directly no
(c) She tells him maybe
(d) She tells him yes
6. What happens when Philip grabs Mollie in a fit of anger?
(a) He tears her dress
(b) John enters the scene
(c) Mollie screams
(d) Mollie falls down
7. What does Paris's school friend immediately do when Philip comes into the room to speak to Paris?
(a) She runs from the house
(b) She does not notice him
(c) She asks Paris where he's been
(d) She says hello to him
8. What is the main way the character of Sister is different from the character of Philip?
(a) She is abusive
(b) She is smart
(c) She is quiet
(d) She is gentle
9. According to John, what is humiliation the same as?
10. What does Philip's mother do after Philip lashes out in anger towards her because of the state of his life?
(a) She breaks down into tears
(b) She says Mollie is to blame for Philip's anger
(c) She goes to find Sister for support
(d) She packs her bags to go
11. What does Philip apologize to Paris about regarding his time away?
(a) Not coming back earlier
(b) Leaving Paris with his mother
(c) For going away altogether
(d) Leaving so much of the farm work to Paris
12. In the beginning of Act 2, what activity has Philip resumed?
13. What does Paris carry in his arms when he returns from the barn?
(a) The town newspaper
(b) Logs for the fire
(c) A stack of hay
(d) Blueprints of a John's house
14. What did Mollie and Philip do the day they met?
(a) Made love
(b) Met Mollie's parents
(c) Danced all night
(d) Talked all night
15. What is the name of Mollie's ex-husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Sister never done that seems to astound others?
2. What does Mollie commend Philip on when she first sees him after his stay in the sanatorium?
3. Where are Mother Lovejoy and Sister staying in anticipation of Philip's homecoming?
4. What does Mother Lovejoy notice has changed in Mollie now that Philip has returned?
5. What does Sister assure Philip will happen if he calms himself from the fight with Mollie and just comes back home?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)