|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Sister never done that seems to astound others?
(a) Gotten married
(b) Taken pride in her appearance
(c) Had a proper education
2. What did Mollie and Philip do the day they met?
(a) Met Mollie's parents
(b) Danced all night
(c) Made love
(d) Talked all night
3. Who is Sister?
(a) Mother Lovejoy's sister
(b) Philip's sister
(c) John's niece
(d) Mollie's sister
4. What does John confess his ex-wife did that destroyed their marriage and John's faith in marriage?
(a) She did not want children
(b) She was abusive
(c) She paid more attention to his friends than to him
(d) She was unfaithful
5. Who does Philip turn to automatically when his psyche is challenged and he needs reprieve?
(c) Mother Lovejoy
6. What quality does Mollie possess that Sister does not and is the reason why Sister remains single?
7. Who has Mollie recently fallen in love with?
8. Which character tries to calm Philip down when he is upset with Mollie for wanting to leave him?
(c) Mother Lovejoy
9. What does Sister strictly advise Mollie not to do in terms of her relationship with John Tucker?
(a) Ask him to leave
(b) Marry him
(c) Have children with him
(d) Hurt him
10. Where is Philip watching Mollie from on the night of his arrival?
(a) The window
(b) From behind the trees
(c) The porch
(d) The doorway
11. What does Philip employ as a winning strategy when he tells Mollie that he will die if she leaves him?
(a) A moral obligation
(b) A bribery mechanism
(c) An ultimatum
(d) A guilt mechanism
12. Why does Mollie always take Philip back, despite his violent tendencies?
(a) His solid Christianity
(b) He is charming
(c) He is good natured
(d) His fidelity
13. What kind of institution do we learn Philip is being released from in the beginning of the play?
(b) The sanatorium
(c) The hospital
(d) The military
14. What is John's profession?
15. What does Philip suffer from that has led him to suicide attempts in the past?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mollie tell Philip she intends to do that will affect her relationship with him?
2. What do both Mother Lovejoy and Sister honestly think of the state of Philip and Mollie's turbulent relationship during Act 1?
3. What does Paris confide in John that he has not confided in his father?
4. Why has Mollie been awake instead of sleeping when the play opens?
5. What does Philip apologize to Paris about regarding his time away?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)