|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality does Mollie possess that Sister does not and is the reason why Sister remains single?
2. What quality does Philip display as equally as his madness?
(a) His kindness
(b) His sensitivity
(c) His compassion
(d) His genius
3. Who has Mollie recently fallen in love with?
4. Who does Philip question about why no one has ever tried to stop his destructive behavior?
(c) Mother Lovejoy
5. What does Philip admit to Mollie that he needs and can't go on living without?
(a) Family support
(b) The farmhouse
6. What does Philip employ as a winning strategy when he tells Mollie that he will die if she leaves him?
(a) A guilt mechanism
(b) A moral obligation
(c) An ultimatum
(d) A bribery mechanism
7. What does Philip believe his artistic brilliance to be?
(a) A gift
(c) A curse
(d) A random occurance
8. Which character does Philip have questions about the moment he arrives home?
(c) Mother Lovejoy
9. Who does Philip primarily blame for his emotional angst?
(c) His mother
10. Why does Mollie always take Philip back, despite his violent tendencies?
(a) He is charming
(b) His fidelity
(c) He is good natured
(d) His solid Christianity
11. What has Sister never done that seems to astound others?
(a) Had a proper education
(c) Gotten married
(d) Taken pride in her appearance
12. Where are Mother Lovejoy and Sister staying in anticipation of Philip's homecoming?
(a) Mother Lovejoy's house
(b) Sister's house
(c) John Tucker's house
(d) Mollie's house
13. What does Philip suffer from that has led him to suicide attempts in the past?
14. At the dinner table, what does Philip dissuade John from doing?
(a) Staying on the property as a tenant
(b) Trying to make friends with him
(c) Building his house
(d) Making advances towards Mollie
15. What is the name of Mollie's ex-husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of institution do we learn Philip is being released from in the beginning of the play?
2. What does Philip eventually conclude about himself regarding his failures?
3. If Philip were to re-marry Mollie, how would Mother Lovejoy benefit?
4. What does Paris confide in John that he has not confided in his father?
5. What does Philip want to be in terms of a career?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)