|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is aghast that John could love Mollie after such a short time?
(b) Mother Lovejoy
2. Where are Mother Lovejoy and Sister staying in anticipation of Philip's homecoming?
(a) Sister's house
(b) Mother Lovejoy's house
(c) Mollie's house
(d) John Tucker's house
3. What does Philip admit to Mollie that he needs and can't go on living without?
(b) Family support
(d) The farmhouse
4. What did Mollie and Philip do the day they met?
(a) Talked all night
(b) Made love
(c) Met Mollie's parents
(d) Danced all night
5. What does Sister assure Philip will happen if he calms himself from the fight with Mollie and just comes back home?
(a) He would make sound decisions
(b) He would regain mental clarity
(c) He might fall in love with another woman
(d) He could write in peace and quite
6. What kind of institution do we learn Philip is being released from in the beginning of the play?
(a) The hospital
(c) The military
(d) The sanatorium
7. Who has Mollie recently fallen in love with?
8. What does Philip employ as a winning strategy when he tells Mollie that he will die if she leaves him?
(a) A guilt mechanism
(b) An ultimatum
(c) A moral obligation
(d) A bribery mechanism
9. What does the character of John represent to Mollie and Paris in terms of their future?
(a) He is a positive role model
(b) He is a beacon of hope
(c) He is a sensitive and caring friend
(d) He is a source of pride
10. Where is Philip watching Mollie from on the night of his arrival?
(a) From behind the trees
(b) The window
(c) The porch
(d) The doorway
11. Where does the play open?
(a) In the kitchen of the farmhouse
(b) In the bedroom of the farmhouse
(c) In the living room of the farmhouse
(d) In the family room of the farmhouse
12. According to John, what is humiliation the same as?
13. What happened as a result of Mollie and Philip's first romantic encounter?
(a) They got married
(b) They stopped dating
(c) Mollie got pregnant
(d) Philip proposed
14. Who is Mollie comforting at the beginning of the play?
15. What quality of Philip has served as the backdrop for the tumultuous lives of his family?
(a) His artistic genius
(b) His compassionate friendship
(c) His violent rages
(d) His loving relationships
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip's mother do after Philip lashes out in anger towards her because of the state of his life?
2. What type of writing has Philip published?
3. In the past, what did those who loved Philip tend to do immediately following an outburst of violence or anger?
4. What does Philip have the most difficult time controlling about himself?
5. What does Sister strictly advise Mollie not to do in terms of her relationship with John Tucker?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)