|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality of Philip has served as the backdrop for the tumultuous lives of his family?
(a) His violent rages
(b) His loving relationships
(c) His compassionate friendship
(d) His artistic genius
2. What quality does John have that Philip does not that keeps John on a steady path?
(a) Mental strength
(b) Emotional strength
(c) Physical strength
(d) Strength of heart
3. When do John and Philip first meet?
(a) When Philip first arrives
(b) At dinnertime
(c) At breakfast
(d) They do not meet
4. What mode of transportation did Philip take to arrive home sooner than expected?
5. Who is Mother Lovejoy placing the onus of saving Philip upon?
(b) Philip himself
6. What did Mollie and Philip do the day they met?
(a) Danced all night
(b) Talked all night
(c) Made love
(d) Met Mollie's parents
7. What does Paris confide in John that he has not confided in his father?
(a) The insecurities of adolescence
(b) his anger towards his father
(c) His sadness
(d) His resentment of his father
8. What needs to be reconciled in order for John and Mollie to begin building a new life for the two of them?
(a) Philip's control over Mollie
(b) Philip's emotional debris
(c) Philip's lack of understanding
(d) Philip's madness
9. What do Mother Lovejoy and Sister continue to do to Mollie now that Philip is back?
(a) Attempt to sway Mollie into marrying John
(b) Attempt to sway Mollie into re-marrying Philip
(c) Attempt to sway Mollie to convince Philip to quiting writing
(d) Attempt to sway Mollie into dating again someone new
10. What does Philip's mother do after Philip lashes out in anger towards her because of the state of his life?
(a) She says Mollie is to blame for Philip's anger
(b) She packs her bags to go
(c) She breaks down into tears
(d) She goes to find Sister for support
11. Where is Philip watching Mollie from on the night of his arrival?
(a) The porch
(b) From behind the trees
(c) The window
(d) The doorway
12. What do both Mother Lovejoy and Sister honestly think of the state of Philip and Mollie's turbulent relationship during Act 1?
(a) Philip loves another woman
(b) Mollie does not love Philip
(c) Philip wants to win Mollie back
(d) Philip still loves Mollie
13. What does John consider a betrayal?
(a) Mollie's indecision
(b) Philip's attempts to disuade him
(c) Mollie and Philip's intimacy
(d) Philip's actions towards Paris
14. How does Molly respond to John's desire to commit to her?
(a) She tells him yes
(b) She tells him directly no
(c) She tells him maybe
(d) She tells him to sleep on it
15. What does Paris carry in his arms when he returns from the barn?
(a) The town newspaper
(b) A stack of hay
(c) Blueprints of a John's house
(d) Logs for the fire
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paris dream of at the beginning of the play?
2. What is the main way the character of Sister is different from the character of Philip?
3. What does John tell Paris is the one thing that kills a person's pride?
4. Who does Philip question about why no one has ever tried to stop his destructive behavior?
5. What bores Philip as he is talking with Mollie after his stay in the sanatorium?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)