|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mode of transportation did Philip take to arrive home sooner than expected?
2. What is the name of the new man in Mollie's life?
(a) John Tucker
(b) Paul Tucker
(c) John Taylor
(d) Philip Lovejoy
3. What kind of institution do we learn Philip is being released from in the beginning of the play?
(a) The hospital
(c) The sanatorium
(d) The military
4. At the dinner table, what does Philip dissuade John from doing?
(a) Trying to make friends with him
(b) Building his house
(c) Staying on the property as a tenant
(d) Making advances towards Mollie
5. What does Philip apologize to Paris about regarding his time away?
(a) Leaving so much of the farm work to Paris
(b) For going away altogether
(c) Leaving Paris with his mother
(d) Not coming back earlier
6. What does Philip employ as a winning strategy when he tells Mollie that he will die if she leaves him?
(a) A guilt mechanism
(b) An ultimatum
(c) A bribery mechanism
(d) A moral obligation
7. Why do most of Philip's family members tend to forgive him, even though he is a violent and volatile man?
(a) He is dedicated
(b) He has redemptive charm
(c) He is extremely loyal
(d) He is honest
8. What did Mollie and Philip do the day they met?
(a) Met Mollie's parents
(b) Made love
(c) Danced all night
(d) Talked all night
9. Why does Mollie hold her new lover at bay with her affections?
(a) Because falling in love is too painful for Mollie
(b) Because falling in love is really only lust in disguise to Molly
(c) Because falling in love is too scary for Molly
(d) Because falling in love is not casual to Mollie
10. What does Philip suffer from that has led him to suicide attempts in the past?
11. What does Philip swear is the only thing that will satisfy him and cause him to regain his mental health?
(a) A long talk with Mollie
(b) To get rid of John
(c) A life with Mollie
(d) A child with Mollie
12. What is the best description for the relationship between Mollie and Philip?
13. What does Paris dream of at the beginning of the play?
(a) His father being a burglar
(b) His father reading to him
(c) His father joining the army
(d) His father teaching him skills
14. How does Mollie react to the sudden and unexpected presence of Philip?
15. What quality does John have that Philip does not that keeps John on a steady path?
(a) Strength of heart
(b) Emotional strength
(c) Physical strength
(d) Mental strength
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Mollie mentally affected by Philip's emotional outbursts?
2. Who is Mollie comforting at the beginning of the play?
3. What does Paris's school friend immediately do when Philip comes into the room to speak to Paris?
4. Where does Sister work?
5. What is John's profession?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)