|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Paris's school friend immediately do when Philip comes into the room to speak to Paris?
(a) She asks Paris where he's been
(b) She runs from the house
(c) She does not notice him
(d) She says hello to him
2. What does Sister strictly advise Mollie not to do in terms of her relationship with John Tucker?
(a) Marry him
(b) Ask him to leave
(c) Hurt him
(d) Have children with him
3. Who does Philip question about why no one has ever tried to stop his destructive behavior?
(a) Mother Lovejoy
4. What happens when Philip grabs Mollie in a fit of anger?
(a) He tears her dress
(b) Mollie screams
(c) John enters the scene
(d) Mollie falls down
5. What is the main way the character of Sister is different from the character of Philip?
(a) She is gentle
(b) She is abusive
(c) She is smart
(d) She is quiet
6. What quality does Mollie possess that Sister does not and is the reason why Sister remains single?
7. Who does Philip primarily blame for his emotional angst?
(c) His mother
8. What kind of family did Philip originally come from?
(a) A poor family
(b) A middle class family
(c) A prominent family
(d) An abusive family
9. Why does Mollie always take Philip back, despite his violent tendencies?
(a) He is good natured
(b) He is charming
(c) His solid Christianity
(d) His fidelity
10. What does Mother Lovejoy notice has changed in Mollie now that Philip has returned?
(a) She has become more graceful
(b) She has a certain glow
(c) She has been smiling
(d) She has lost weight
11. Why does Mollie hold her new lover at bay with her affections?
(a) Because falling in love is too scary for Molly
(b) Because falling in love is not casual to Mollie
(c) Because falling in love is really only lust in disguise to Molly
(d) Because falling in love is too painful for Mollie
12. What does Philip say he will do if Mollie leaves him?
(a) He will come after John
(b) He will take Paris away
(c) He will die
(d) He will find her
13. What is John trying to find out about Mollie?
(a) If she is interested in money
(b) If she is capable of loving him
(c) If she woud be a dedicated wife
(d) If she is still in love with Philip
14. If Philip were to re-marry Mollie, how would Mother Lovejoy benefit?
(a) She would benefit by heightening her social status
(b) She would benefit economically
(c) She would benefit by keeping the house
(d) She would benefit by having a big family
15. What quality does Philip display as equally as his madness?
(a) His kindness
(b) His genius
(c) His compassion
(d) His sensitivity
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of writing has Philip published?
2. At the dinner table, what does Philip dissuade John from doing?
3. What does Philip suffer from that has led him to suicide attempts in the past?
4. What does Mollie tell Philip she intends to do that will affect her relationship with him?
5. What gift does Philip give Paris for his forgotten birthday?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)