|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Mother Lovejoy and Sister staying in anticipation of Philip's homecoming?
(a) Mother Lovejoy's house
(b) Sister's house
(c) Mollie's house
(d) John Tucker's house
2. What does Philip say he will do if Mollie leaves him?
(a) He will take Paris away
(b) He will find her
(c) He will die
(d) He will come after John
3. What does Philip believe his artistic brilliance to be?
(a) A curse
(b) A gift
(c) A random occurance
4. What type of writing has Philip published?
(a) A magazine article
(b) A book
(c) A newpaper article
(d) A short story
5. Where do Mollie and Philip retreat to following their initial conversation and initial greeting?
(a) The porch step
(b) The bedroom
(c) Outside under the stars
(d) The living room
6. According to John, what is humiliation the same as?
7. What does Paris dream of at the beginning of the play?
(a) His father joining the army
(b) His father teaching him skills
(c) His father being a burglar
(d) His father reading to him
8. What does Sister assure Philip will happen if he calms himself from the fight with Mollie and just comes back home?
(a) He might fall in love with another woman
(b) He could write in peace and quite
(c) He would regain mental clarity
(d) He would make sound decisions
9. What does Philip want to accomplish now that he has been released from the sanatorium?
(a) Take a job in town
(b) Become an actor
(c) Write another novel
(d) Become a doctor
10. What is the best description for the relationship between Mollie and Philip?
11. What does Philip admit to Mollie that he needs and can't go on living without?
(a) Family support
(b) The farmhouse
12. If Philip were to re-marry Mollie, how would Mother Lovejoy benefit?
(a) She would benefit by having a big family
(b) She would benefit by keeping the house
(c) She would benefit economically
(d) She would benefit by heightening her social status
13. What does Philip swear is the only thing that will satisfy him and cause him to regain his mental health?
(a) A life with Mollie
(b) A child with Mollie
(c) A long talk with Mollie
(d) To get rid of John
14. What is the name of the new man in Mollie's life?
(a) John Taylor
(b) Paul Tucker
(c) Philip Lovejoy
(d) John Tucker
15. How does Molly respond to John's desire to commit to her?
(a) She tells him yes
(b) She tells him directly no
(c) She tells him to sleep on it
(d) She tells him maybe
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Mollie known her new love?
2. What is slowly happening to Philip's family as he continues to display anger and engage in violent outbursts?
3. At the dinner table, what does Philip dissuade John from doing?
4. What is John trying to find out about Mollie?
5. What is John's profession?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)