|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mother Lovejoy and Sister continue to do to Mollie now that Philip is back?
(a) Attempt to sway Mollie into dating again someone new
(b) Attempt to sway Mollie into marrying John
(c) Attempt to sway Mollie into re-marrying Philip
(d) Attempt to sway Mollie to convince Philip to quiting writing
2. What does John confess his ex-wife did that destroyed their marriage and John's faith in marriage?
(a) She did not want children
(b) She was abusive
(c) She paid more attention to his friends than to him
(d) She was unfaithful
3. What is John's profession?
4. What does Paris's school friend immediately do when Philip comes into the room to speak to Paris?
(a) She does not notice him
(b) She asks Paris where he's been
(c) She says hello to him
(d) She runs from the house
5. Who does Philip primarily blame for his emotional angst?
(c) His mother
6. What gift does Philip give Paris for his forgotten birthday?
(a) A hand carved chess set
(b) A hand carved chest
(c) A hand carved toy box
(d) A hand carved statue
7. What does Paris confide in John that he has not confided in his father?
(a) His resentment of his father
(b) The insecurities of adolescence
(c) his anger towards his father
(d) His sadness
8. What is slowly happening to Philip's family as he continues to display anger and engage in violent outbursts?
(a) They are becoming weary
(b) They are becoming strong
(c) They are becoming more forgiving
(d) They are becoming fitful
9. What happens when Philip grabs Mollie in a fit of anger?
(a) Mollie falls down
(b) John enters the scene
(c) Mollie screams
(d) He tears her dress
10. Who is Sister?
(a) John's niece
(b) Mother Lovejoy's sister
(c) Mollie's sister
(d) Philip's sister
11. What quality does Philip display as equally as his madness?
(a) His sensitivity
(b) His kindness
(c) His compassion
(d) His genius
12. What do both Mother Lovejoy and Sister honestly think of the state of Philip and Mollie's turbulent relationship during Act 1?
(a) Philip still loves Mollie
(b) Philip wants to win Mollie back
(c) Philip loves another woman
(d) Mollie does not love Philip
13. What does John's profession symbolize to Mollie?
(a) The height of certain dreams
(b) The rebuilding of a new life
(c) Safety and security
(d) Strength of character
14. Where are Mother Lovejoy and Sister staying in anticipation of Philip's homecoming?
(a) John Tucker's house
(b) Mother Lovejoy's house
(c) Mollie's house
(d) Sister's house
15. At the dinner table, what does Philip dissuade John from doing?
(a) Trying to make friends with him
(b) Making advances towards Mollie
(c) Building his house
(d) Staying on the property as a tenant
Short Answer Questions
1. According to John, what is someone hurting your feelings the square root of?
2. What type of writing has Philip published?
3. Why does Mollie always take Philip back, despite his violent tendencies?
4. What does Philip say he will do if Mollie leaves him?
5. What happened as a result of Mollie and Philip's first romantic encounter?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)