|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Philip primarily blame for his emotional angst?
(a) His mother
2. How does Mollie react to the sudden and unexpected presence of Philip?
3. Why does Mollie hold her new lover at bay with her affections?
(a) Because falling in love is not casual to Mollie
(b) Because falling in love is really only lust in disguise to Molly
(c) Because falling in love is too scary for Molly
(d) Because falling in love is too painful for Mollie
4. What does John think Philip has done to Mollie to keep her in love with him?
(a) Paid her
(b) Threatened her with violence
(c) Cast a spell on her
(d) Scared her
5. What does Philip employ as a winning strategy when he tells Mollie that he will die if she leaves him?
(a) A bribery mechanism
(b) A moral obligation
(c) A guilt mechanism
(d) An ultimatum
6. Who is Mother Lovejoy placing the onus of saving Philip upon?
(d) Philip himself
7. How does John describe the act of someone hurting your feelings to Paris?
(a) It is a loss of self-esteem
(b) It is a loss of dignity
(c) It is a loss of pride
(d) It is a loss of self-worth
8. What does the character of John represent to Mollie and Paris in terms of their future?
(a) He is a positive role model
(b) He is a beacon of hope
(c) He is a source of pride
(d) He is a sensitive and caring friend
9. Where does Sister work?
(a) As a baker
(b) In the library
(c) In the hospital
(d) In the schoolhouse
10. What does Mollie commend Philip on when she first sees him after his stay in the sanatorium?
(a) His kindness
(b) His progress
(c) His manners
(d) His looks
11. What is slowly happening to Philip's family as he continues to display anger and engage in violent outbursts?
(a) They are becoming weary
(b) They are becoming fitful
(c) They are becoming strong
(d) They are becoming more forgiving
12. According to John, what is someone hurting your feelings the square root of?
13. According to John, what is humiliation the same as?
14. What is the name of Paris's friend from school?
15. What is the name of Mollie's ex-husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Philip grabs Mollie in a fit of anger?
2. What quality does Mollie possess that Sister does not and is the reason why Sister remains single?
3. At the dinner table, what does Philip dissuade John from doing?
4. What is the best description for the relationship between Mollie and Philip?
5. Why do most of Philip's family members tend to forgive him, even though he is a violent and volatile man?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)