|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what does Fiedler ask Leamas about?
(a) His secret passwords and spy gadgets.
(d) Rolling Stone.
2. For how many days is Leamas sick while Liz nurses him back to health?
3. Why is Leamas wanted in England?
(a) Because he stole from the library he worked for.
(b) Because he lit his old apartment on fire to destroy evidence.
(c) Because he has not checked in with his prison monitor.
(d) Because he embezzled money from 3 banks.
4. Who is Fiedler?
(a) Third in command to Mundt.
(b) Second in command to Mundt.
(c) Mundt's boss.
(d) Mundt's personal assistant.
5. What is Miss Crail's relationship to Leamas?
(a) She is his sister.
(b) She works for him.
(c) She rents a room from him.
(d) She is his boss.
6. What people does Control tell Leamas to look up before starting his new mission?
(a) George Guilliam & Peter Smiley.
(b) No one -- he's supposed to work alone.
(c) George Smiley & Peter Guilliam.
(d) Karl Reimeck & Peter Smiley.
7. Who is Alex Leamas?
(a) An average citizen.
(b) An East German spy.
(c) A British secret agent.
(d) A West German spy.
8. What kind of club does Leamas and his two new contacts visit shortly after Leamas is released from prison?
(a) A dance club.
(b) A golf club.
(c) A strip club.
(d) A gambling club.
9. What cover job does Kiever offer Leamas?
(a) A banker.
(b) A freelance writer.
(c) A professor.
(d) A travel agent.
10. Who does Leamas meet when he is released from jail?
(a) A woman named Ashe.
(b) His family.
(d) A man named Ashe.
11. Who is Mundt?
(a) The deputy director of Russian spies.
(b) The deputy director of the Abteilung.
(c) The deputy director of the CIA.
(d) Leamas' half-brother.
12. What is Leamas' financial situation after leaving British intelligence?
(a) Loses a lot of money gambling.
(b) Has very little money.
(c) Wins a lot of money gambling.
(d) Gets a lot of money from publishing his autobiography.
13. After publicly leaving his job in Chapter 3, what does Leamas do?
(a) Writes his autobiography.
(b) Works for the Queen.
(c) Manages a glue factory.
(d) Gets married.
14. What country has Leamas NOT lived in?
15. Where is Ashe's apartment located?
(a) Marina Square.
(b) Dolphin Square.
(c) Fisherman's Square.
(d) Del Mar Square.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what time period is this novel taking place?
2. Who does Leamas meet in Chapter 8?
3. Which of the following is the best description of Leamas' life, from the public's point of view, once he leaves British intelligence?
4. How could Leamas and Peters' relationship could be described?
5. What does Liz do while Leamas is in prison?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)