|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is consuming most of Leamas' thoughts the longer he is questioned?
(a) How much longer he has until he can flee to America.
(b) Who is taking care of his pets while he's on his mission.
(c) How he is going to spend all of his new money.
(d) A life with Liz.
2. During Leamas' continued interrogations, how is Fiedler's character presented?
(a) In a horrible light, since he keeps Leamas locked up in the dark.
(b) In a negative light.
(c) In a positive light.
(d) As untrustworthy because he keeps lying.
3. After Elvira crosses the German border, what does Leamas give her?
(a) Keys to a new car.
(b) Keys to a safe apartment.
(c) Top secret documents.
(d) Keys to his own house.
4. Who comes to the German border first in chapter 1?
(b) They never come to the border.
(c) They come at the same time.
5. Which language does Leamas speak?
(c) All of these languages.
6. What does Leamas think when he first sees Pitt?
(a) That he might be a friend of his mother.
(b) That he looks familiar.
(c) That he's a fraud.
(d) That he's trying to steal from him.
7. Who is Elvira?
(a) Alec Leamas' sister and employee.
(b) An average citizen.
(c) Karl Riemeck's girlfriend and employee.
(d) Alec Leamas' friend.
8. Who is Alex Leamas?
(a) A British secret agent.
(b) An average citizen.
(c) An East German spy.
(d) A West German spy.
9. What kind of document does Fiedler use to try to learn more about the secret agent?
(a) A bank document.
(b) A resume.
(c) A passport.
(d) A love letter.
10. During the first part of Leamas' questioning, Peters disappears. How long is Peters gone for?
(a) One day.
(b) One month.
(c) One week.
(d) One year.
11. After he stops working for British intelligence, where does Leamas live?
(a) In his family's home.
(b) In a retirement home.
(c) In a small, shabby apartment.
(d) Out in the country on a farm.
12. While Peters is talking to Leamas, what does Peters remain convinced of?
(a) That Leamas is setting him up.
(b) That Leamas is totally lying to him.
(c) That Leamas is a double agent.
(d) There was another spy in East German that Leamas didn't know about.
13. What is the name of the library where Leamas gets a job?
(a) University of London Library.
(b) London City Library.
(c) Bayswater Library for Psychic Research.
(d) Berlin Community Library.
14. What items did the secret mission, revealed to Peters by Leamas at the Hauge, involve?
(a) Fake passports and signatures.
(b) Fake guns and other weapons.
(c) Fake drugs.
(d) Fake stolen objects, such as radios.
15. Which of the following jobs does Leamas also take in Chapter 3?
(a) Selling knives door to door.
(b) Selling encyclopedias door to door.
(c) Selling men's suits.
(d) Selling cars.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leamas think about on his flight back to London after meeting with Control?
2. Leamas is:
3. Leamas publicly appears to do what at everything he does after leaving his job at British intelligence in Chapter 3?
4. Who are the British allied with?
5. Where does Leamas request he be sent after he officially defects?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)