|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Miss Crail's relationship to Leamas?
(a) She works for him.
(b) She rents a room from him.
(c) She is his sister.
(d) She is his boss.
2. Liz is visited by someone when Leamas is in prison. What does this person giver her?
(a) A card with a telephone number.
(b) A box she must promise to hide.
(c) A lot of money.
(d) A key -- but she doesn't know what it's for.
3. In what time period is this novel taking place?
(a) 1960's era Cold War.
4. During Leamas' meeting with Control, what is revealed as Leamas' job for the last few years?
(a) Managing the East Berlin spy network.
(b) Being a spy in Russia.
(c) Managing the West Berlin spy network.
(d) Being a spy in the U.S.
5. What is the public perception of why Leamas left his job?
(a) He was a double agent.
(b) He embezzeled money.
(c) He got into a screaming match with his boss.
(d) He was just transferred to a new country.
6. How does the relationship between Liz and Leamas change after they've known each other for a little while?
(a) They become lovers.
(b) Liz tells Leamas she can't tutor him anymore.
(c) They hate each other.
(d) Liz hires Leamas to teach other people.
7. What is Liz Gold's relationship to Leamas when they first meet?
(a) Liz is teaching Leamas how to speak Russian.
(b) Liz is teaching Leamas how to read.
(c) They are coworkers.
(d) Liz is Leamas' nurse.
8. What is Leamas' political philosophy?
(a) He's secretly a Communist.
(b) He believes in Democracy.
(c) He doesn't really have one.
(d) He does everything for the Queen of England.
9. What does Leamas believe Ashe to be?
(a) A spy from Control.
(b) A very wealthy and important businessman.
(c) An annoying middleman.
(d) The brains behind the operation.
10. What does Liz buy for Leamas when she finds him in his apartment?
(a) Food and medicine.
(c) Books to read.
(d) Medical care.
11. When did Leamas' spy career begin?
(c) When he was a very young boy.
12. How much does Kiever offer Leamas as payment for his cover job?
(a) 15,000 euros.
(b) 15,000 pounds.
(c) 15,000 yen.
(d) 15,000 dollars.
13. After publicly leaving his job in Chapter 3, what does Leamas do?
(a) Manages a glue factory.
(b) Gets married.
(c) Writes his autobiography.
(d) Works for the Queen.
14. While talking to Peters in the Hague, Leamas tells Peters of a top-secret operation. What was its code name?
(a) Operation Eiffel Tower.
(b) Operation Moss.
(c) Scandinavian Eyes.
(d) Rolling Stone.
15. Who is Elvira?
(a) Alec Leamas' sister and employee.
(b) Karl Riemeck's girlfriend and employee.
(c) Alec Leamas' friend.
(d) An average citizen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Leamas publicly appears to do what at everything he does after leaving his job at British intelligence in Chapter 3?
2. What is the name of the library where Leamas gets a job?
3. Once Elvira crosses the German border, what does she report to Leamas?
4. What is this person who visits Liz while Leamas is in prison interested in knowing?
5. What does Leamas see when he leaves Liz's apartment after first spending the night?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)