|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tadeshina say she felt when she wrote the letter about Satoko's pregnancy?
2. In "Chapter 30," where does Kiyoaki's father invite the Siamese princes?
3. In "Chapter 34," what does Satoko worry about when Kiyoaki invites her to his villa?
4. What confuses Honda about Kiyoaki's passion in "Chapter 53"?
5. Why does Kiyoaki decide to walk part way to the monastery in "Chapter 52"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use traditional Japanese myths in the text? Choose a few myths to discuss, define their significance, and how they contribute to the text, giving examples of their use from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
How is selfishness a theme in this novel? What is the impact this theme has on the characters and plot development? What message is delivered about selfishness? Define theme and draw examples from the novel to support your discussion on selfishness.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze "Spring Snow" as a love story. How does it fit the genre? How does it not?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)