|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 47," what does Kiyoaki's father write to the emperor?
2. On the third day at Gesshu Monastery, where do Satoko and Kiyoaki's mothers go?
3. In "Chapter 37," why does the prince's family pick areas of Satoko's education they feel are lacking?
4. What does Kiyoaki's father use to attack Kiyoaki in "Chapter 39"?
5. Why does Chao P pass out in "Chapter 35"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Follow the development of Kiyoaki's character. What type of protagonist is he? Support your statements with quotes from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast at least two symbolic deaths in this novel. Define symbolism and quote the book to support your discussion on symbolic death.
Essay Topic 3
How is selfishness a theme in this novel? What is the impact this theme has on the characters and plot development? What message is delivered about selfishness? Define theme and draw examples from the novel to support your discussion on selfishness.
This section contains 228 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)