|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kiyoaki see Satoko for the first time since childhood?
2. In "Chapter 15," why does Kiyoaki throw away his early letter drafts to Satoko?
3. In "Chapter 26," what shocks Tadeshina about Kiyoaki during their meeting?
4. In what language do the Siamese princes speak to Kiyoaki?
5. In "Chapter 6," what does Kiyoaki criticize Satoko for in his letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kiyoaki realize in "Chapter 25"?
2. In "Chapter 9," why does Kiyoaki give Iinuma a key to his father's library?
3. What are the spring festivities in "Chapter 16"?
4. Why does Honda think of a photograph from the Russo-Japanese war in "Chapter 28"?
5. What happens when Honda and Kiyoaki return home in "Chapter 55"?
6. What does Kiyoaki do after mailing his letter to Satoko in "Chapter 6"?
7. What does Honda see in the courthouse in "Chapter 29"?
8. In "Chapter 7," what does Honda note about Japanese tradition?
9. In "Chapter 19," what upsets Satoko?
10. In "Chapter 24," why do the Siamese princes want to go home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the class system in place in "Spring Snow"? How does this system affect the characters, the plot and the major themes of this novel? What does the author have to say about the class system?
Essay Topic 2
What role does Honda play in the novel? Is he simply meant to highlight aspects of Kiyoaki's character, or something else?
Essay Topic 3
How is this novel a commentary on generation gaps?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)