|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 13," what reason does Kiyoaki give his mother for missing school?
2. How much older is Satoko than Kiyoaki?
3. What role does Kiyoaki have at the New Year's celebration?
4. What does Satoko do while kissing Kiyoaki in "Chapter 19"?
5. In "Chapter 15," why does Kiyoaki throw away his early letter drafts to Satoko?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kiyoaki try to impress Satoko when he sees her again for the first time since childhood?
2. What do Honda and the senior nun talk about?
3. In "Chapter 17," what do the Siamese princes and Kiyoaki talk about before the festival?
4. What does Honda see in the courthouse in "Chapter 29"?
5. What does Kiyoaki's father tell him about college?
6. Why do the Siamese prince's fellow students lack sympathy toward them when Chao P loses his ring?
7. What happens when Satoko asks the Abbess to help her become a nun?
8. In "Chapter 11," what does Kiyoaki dream?
9. In "Chapter 19," what upsets Satoko?
10. What happens when Honda and Kiyoaki return home in "Chapter 55"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the impact of war on this novel. Consider the Russo-Japanese War, as well as the emotional war Honda discusses. Give examples of the impacts of each by quoting the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of religion in this novel. Keep in mind the different religions represented in Japan at the time of this novel. Discuss different religions introduced in the novel and consider the impact on the characters. Give examples from the book to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the narrator of this novel. What is effective about having a third-person, disconnected narrator? What is ineffective? Define third-person, disconnected narrator in your essay.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)