|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 33," how do Kiyoaki, Honda and the princes entertain themselves?
(a) With songs.
(b) With discussions.
(c) With story telling.
(d) With poetry reading.
2. Who goes with Kiyoaki to say goodbye to the Siamese princes?
(a) His father.
(c) No one.
3. How does Kiyoaki feel when he first thinks about attending college?
4. Who does Kiyoaki see Satoko board a train with in "Chapter 42"?
(a) No one.
(b) A group of doctors.
(c) His parents.
(d) Female relatives.
5. Why does Kiyoaki fear he can't see Satoko in "Chapter 51"?
(a) Because her father threatened to kill him.
(b) Because he fears she will send him away.
(c) Because he isn't sure where she is.
(d) Because he doesn't have the money.
6. Why does Chao P decide to return to Siam?
(a) Because his ring was stolen.
(b) Because his brother is getting married.
(c) Because he's failing school.
(d) Because his uncle is sick.
7. Who recommends sending the police chief to rescue Satoko from Gesshu Monastery?
(a) Satoko's mother.
(b) Kiyoaki's father.
(c) Kiyoaki's mother.
8. How long is Satoko told she will have to live through ascetic discipline before becoming a nun?
(a) One year.
(b) A year and a half.
(c) Two years.
(d) Six months.
9. What does Tadeshina call Satoko's pregnancy in her letter in "Chapter 39"?
(a) A public concern.
(b) A family matter.
(c) A private pain.
(d) A growing tragedy.
10. Why does Kiyoaki travel to Azabu?
(a) Because Honda takes him on vacation.
(b) Because it is where he spent his childhood.
(c) Because his father sends him.
(d) Because he believes Satoko will be there.
11. When does the Imperial Poetry Recitation take place?
(a) The Imperial Poetry Recitation takes place in November.
(b) The Imperial Poetry Recitation takes place in January.
(c) The Imperial Poetry Recitation takes place in February.
(d) The Imperial Poetry Recitation takes place in December.
12. Why does Tadeshina say she was once given the job of finding Satoko a lover?
(a) Tadeshina doesn't know why she was given the job.
(b) So Satoko could blackmail him.
(c) So Satoko would be experienced.
(d) So Satoko would be ruined.
13. How does Tadeshina say she felt when she wrote the letter about Satoko's pregnancy?
14. What does Kiyoaki say leaves with the two Siamese princes?
(a) His childhood.
(b) His honesty.
(c) His companions.
(d) His love.
15. In "Chapter 36," how much longer does Satoko say the affair can continue?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Four months.
(d) One month.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 37," why does the prince's family pick areas of Satoko's education they feel are lacking?
2. Why does Kiyoaki's father assure Kiyoaki he can be admitted to Merton College?
3. In "Chapter 31," what is said to reveal the spirits of the Siamese princes?
4. What does Kiyoaki's father want to do before the Siamese princes leave for Siam?
5. How long does Dr. Mori stay with Satoko at the Ayakura mansion?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)