|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the count talk to Satoko about at Gesshu Monastery in "Chapter 47"?
(a) Current events.
(b) Her returning home.
(c) The emperor and the prince.
2. In "Chapter 30," where does Kiyoaki's father invite the Siamese princes?
(a) A seaside villa.
(b) A country farmhouse.
(c) A mountain cabin.
(d) A city penthouse.
3. How long is Satoko told she will have to live through ascetic discipline before becoming a nun?
(a) One year.
(b) Six months.
(c) A year and a half.
(d) Two years.
4. Why does Kiyoaki travel to Azabu?
(a) Because Honda takes him on vacation.
(b) Because he believes Satoko will be there.
(c) Because his father sends him.
(d) Because it is where he spent his childhood.
5. Who recommends sending the police chief to rescue Satoko from Gesshu Monastery?
(a) Satoko's mother.
(b) Kiyoaki's father.
(c) Kiyoaki's mother.
6. Who falls asleep in "Chapter 32"?
(b) Chao P.
7. How does the count react when Tadeshina tells him about her letter in "Chapter 40"?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He is pleased.
(d) He is calm.
8. Why does Kiyoaki meet with Satoko at a boarding house in "Chapter 27"?
(a) He thinks it's best.
(b) Tadeshina arranged it.
(c) It's the half-way point between their houses.
(d) Satoko insisted they meet there.
9. When does Kiyoaki confess his affair to Satoko to his father?
(a) When Satoko begs him to in a letter.
(b) When his father hits him in the face.
(c) When his father hits him in the back.
(d) When his father bribes him with money.
10. In "Chapter 34," what does Satoko worry about when Kiyoaki invites her to his villa?
(a) How she will travel unnoticed.
(b) How it will make Kiyoaki feel.
(c) How she'll get home in the morning.
(d) How Kiyoaki's friends will respond to her.
11. In "Chapter 53," what does Kiyoaki beg Honda to do?
(a) Lend him money.
(b) Find him medicine.
(c) Talk with the senior nun.
(d) Take him home.
12. Why does Kiyoaki's servant give him a glass of turtle blood?
(a) To restore his health.
(b) To make a fool out of him.
(c) To help him find love.
(d) To poison him.
13. What makes Tadeshina smile in "Chapter 41," when she thinks about her role in Satoko's life?
(a) How close they have grown.
(b) How much power she has.
(c) Her freedom from Satoko's family.
(d) Her paycheck.
14. How does Tadeshina try to kill herself?
(a) By jumping off a bridge.
(b) With sleeping pills.
(c) Drinking alcohol.
(d) Poisoning her food.
15. In "Chapter 27," what does Satoko do when Kiyoaki tries to kiss her the first time?
(a) She tells him no.
(b) She leaves.
(c) She laughs at him.
(d) She agrees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Kiyoaki travels to the monastery in "Chapter 51"?
2. In "Chapter 36," who is always present with Satoko when she and Kiyoaki meet?
3. What confuses Honda about Kiyoaki's passion in "Chapter 53"?
4. In "Chapter 37," how does Tadeshina feel about Kiyoaki and Satoko's affair?
5. Where does Kiyoaki go on his boat in "Chapter 49"?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)