|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter 47," what does Kiyoaki's father write to the emperor?
(a) That Kiyoaki is a criminal.
(b) That Satoko is trapped.
(c) That Satoko is insane.
(d) That Kiyoaki is sorry.
2. Who recommends sending the police chief to rescue Satoko from Gesshu Monastery?
(a) Kiyoaki's father.
(b) Satoko's mother.
(c) Kiyoaki's mother.
3. How does Honda help Kiyoaki with Satoko in "Chapter 34"?
(a) He borrows a friend's car for them to use.
(b) He loans Kiyoaki money.
(c) He secures the perimeter of the villa.
(d) He promises to keep the affair a secret.
4. What does Kiyoaki's father use to attack Kiyoaki in "Chapter 39"?
(a) A tennis racket.
(b) A pool stick.
(c) A baseball bat.
(d) A hockey stick.
5. What does Kiyoaki's father want to do before the Siamese princes leave for Siam?
(a) Make sure they keep in touch.
(b) Make sure they aren't bitter about Japan.
(c) Make sure they both get new jewels.
(d) Make sure they have a huge going away party.
6. In "Chapter 31," what makes the Siamese princes drop to their knees?
(a) Their gratitude to Kiyoaki's father.
(b) Two beautiful women.
(c) The trip over a branch.
(d) A Buddha statue.
7. What does the Abbess tell Satoko about taking her vows in "Chapter 46"?
(a) That she isn't ready.
(b) That she won't be able to see Kiyoaki again.
(c) That she will be pure again.
(d) That she'll have to leave her family.
8. What does the count talk to Satoko about at Gesshu Monastery in "Chapter 47"?
(a) Current events.
(b) The emperor and the prince.
(d) Her returning home.
9. What does Kiyoaki tell Honda his intentions are in "Chapter 28"?
(a) To kill the prince.
(b) To stop seeing Satoko.
(c) To continue the affair.
(d) To ask for a new sanction.
10. Why is Satoko's wedding postponed in "Chapter 34"?
(a) The death of the emperor.
(b) The prince's travels.
(c) Her dowry.
(d) Her involvement with Kiyoaki.
11. When Kiyoaki looks at the Ayakura mansion in "Chapter 39," what does he note?
(a) That the bushes are overgrown.
(b) That the walkway is cracked.
(c) That the light is on.
(d) That the door has been painted.
12. What does the countess talk to Satoko about at Gesshu Monastery in "Chapter 47"?
(a) Her wedding plans.
(b) Her returning home.
(c) Current events.
(d) Kiyoaki's parents.
13. Why does Kiyoaki's servant give him a glass of turtle blood?
(a) To poison him.
(b) To restore his health.
(c) To make a fool out of him.
(d) To help him find love.
14. How long does Dr. Mori stay with Satoko at the Ayakura mansion?
(a) One day.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A week.
(d) Three weeks.
15. In "Chapter 37," how does Tadeshina feel about Kiyoaki and Satoko's affair?
(a) That it is dirty.
(b) That it is meaningless.
(c) That it is complicated.
(d) That it is sacred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Honda do when he finally meets with the senior nun?
2. In "Chapter 32," why does Kiyoaki ask Honda to cover for him?
3. What happens when Kiyoaki travels to the monastery in "Chapter 51"?
4. What does the countess do while talking to Satoko at Gesshu Monastery in "Chapter 47"?
5. Who drives Satoko's car in "Chapter 34"?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)