|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kiyoaki's father assure Kiyoaki he can be admitted to Merton College?
(a) Because his high school teachers went there.
(b) Because of his social rank.
(c) Because they have enough money.
(d) Because he knows the dean.
2. In "Chapter 32," why does Kiyoaki ask Honda to cover for him?
(a) So he can leave for a few days.
(b) So he can return to school.
(c) So he can cover up his affair.
(d) So he can spend his father's money.
3. In "Chapter 31," what is said to reveal the spirits of the Siamese princes?
(a) The moon.
(b) The clouds.
(c) The rain.
(d) The sun.
4. On the third day at Gesshu Monastery, where do Satoko and Kiyoaki's mothers go?
(b) Gesshu's town center.
5. What worries Kiyoaki's father most about his affair with Satoko and her pregnancy?
(a) How to keep his social status.
(b) How to get his money back from the wedding.
(c) How to apologize to the emperor.
(d) How to help Satoko.
6. In "Chapter 53," why does Honda want Kiyoaki to leave for Tokyo?
(a) Because of his depression.
(b) Because he is in trouble with the emperor.
(c) Because of his health.
(d) Because Satoko asked him to.
7. In "Chapter 37," why does the prince's family pick areas of Satoko's education they feel are lacking?
(a) So she won't teach that to their children.
(b) To prove that their son is better.
(c) So she can improve them.
(d) To try to break the marriage contract.
8. Who does Kiyoaki see Satoko board a train with in "Chapter 42"?
(a) A group of doctors.
(b) His parents.
(c) Female relatives.
(d) No one.
9. In "Chapter 49," what present does Kiyoaki receive?
(a) A sail boat.
(b) A canoe.
(c) A motor boat.
(d) A row boat.
10. In "Chapter 53," what does Kiyoaki beg Honda to do?
(a) Find him medicine.
(b) Lend him money.
(c) Take him home.
(d) Talk with the senior nun.
11. In "Chapter 31," what makes the Siamese princes drop to their knees?
(a) A Buddha statue.
(b) Two beautiful women.
(c) Their gratitude to Kiyoaki's father.
(d) The trip over a branch.
12. In "Chapter 41," what does the count want to know about Tadeshina's letter?
(a) Who she sent it to.
(b) What she left out of it.
(c) Why she would write it.
(d) How she knew any of it was true.
13. How do Chao P's fellow students feel about him before he leaves for Siam?
(a) Most don't reveal their feelings.
(b) They laugh at him.
(c) They are sad to see him leave.
(d) They don't care.
14. What does Kiyoaki say when Satoko says the affair must end because she will be married?
(a) He says she knows what is best.
(b) He says he wants a second chance.
(c) He says he loves her too much.
(d) He says she is making a mistake.
15. What does Kiyoaki tell Honda his intentions are in "Chapter 28"?
(a) To ask for a new sanction.
(b) To continue the affair.
(c) To stop seeing Satoko.
(d) To kill the prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 34," what does Satoko tell Honda she feels instead of shame about her affair?
2. Why does Honda's father have him watch trials in courtrooms?
3. What fruit does Kiyoaki eat with Honda in "Chapter 28"?
4. Where does Kiyoaki go on his boat in "Chapter 49"?
5. Why does Kiyoaki refuse to give Tadeshina Satoko's letter in "Chapter 27"?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)