|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Iinuma confess to flirting with in "Chapter 10"?
(a) Kiyoaki's cousin.
(b) A maid.
(d) Another tutor.
2. Why does Kiyoaki blame Tadeshina for Satoko's marriage to the prince?
(a) Because she introduced Satoko to the prince.
(b) Because she didn't try to stop Satoko.
(c) Because Kiyoaki is angry at Tadeshina.
(d) Because she let Satoko read the cruel letter.
3. How long has Iinuma worked for Kiyoaki's family?
(a) Three years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Six years.
(d) Five years.
4. In "Chapter 16," what embarrasses Kiyoaki's grandmother about his father?
(a) His lifestyle.
(b) His political views.
(c) His education.
(d) His wife.
5. Who announces Satoko's arrival at the cherry festival?
(a) Chao P.
(b) Kiyoaki's father.
(d) A maid.
6. What does Kiyoaki compare Satoko to at the cherry festival in "Chapter 18"?
(a) A flower.
(b) A man.
(c) An empress.
(d) A geisha.
7. In Kiyoaki's dream in "Chapter 11," who does the ring belong to?
(a) One of the Siamese princes.
(c) The emperor.
8. What makes Iinuma feel like he failed Kiyoaki as a tutor?
(a) His inability to learn French.
(b) His lack of interest in everything.
(c) His interest in sports.
(d) His focus on the sciences.
9. Where does Kiyoaki see Satoko for the first time since childhood?
(a) Underneath some trees.
(b) At a train station.
(c) By a waterfall.
(d) In town.
10. In "Chapter 23," what makes Kiyoaki feel like he is a man?
(a) His age.
(b) His relationship with women.
(c) The mastery of his feelings.
(d) A compliment from a prince.
11. What does Kiyoaki's family decide to do with the Doll Festival?
(a) To send the Siamese princes home.
(b) To host it at their house.
(c) To not be open to the public.
(d) To skip the entire event.
12. In "Chapter 7," what event does Honda reflect upon?
(a) A birthday.
(b) A funeral.
(c) A ceremony.
(d) A wedding.
13. In "Chapter 13," what does Honda say westerners believe about history?
(a) They believe it doesn't predict the future.
(b) They believe only western history matters.
(c) They believe it is a noble subject.
(d) They believe they can change it.
14. In "Chapter 24," why does Chao P say he wants his emerald ring?
(a) To feel connected to the princess.
(b) To show it off.
(c) To sell it for money.
(d) To give away to a good friend.
15. In "Chapter 13," what does Honda say people ignore when looking back on history?
(b) Social categories.
(c) Individual personalities.
(d) Movements of men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Satoko say when Kiyoaki tries to kiss her in "Chapter 19"?
2. When is the cherry blossom viewing?
3. In "Chapter 13," what reason does Kiyoaki give his mother for missing school?
4. What does Satoko do while kissing Kiyoaki in "Chapter 19"?
5. In "Chapter 16," what does Kiyoaki say he will wound?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)