|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kiyoaki decide to kiss Satoko for the first time?
(a) She puts her head on his shoulder.
(b) She asks him to.
(c) She closes her eyes.
(d) She recites a lovely poem.
2. What does Satoko do while kissing Kiyoaki in "Chapter 19"?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She holds his hand.
(d) She cries.
3. What does Kiyoaki tell his mother when she leaves on marriage business in "Chapter 24"?
(a) He tells her it is all a joke.
(b) He says he hopes for the worst.
(c) He doesn't say anything.
(d) He wishes her luck.
4. How does Kiyoaki say he feels about Satoko when he sees her as a teenager for the first time?
(a) More interested in her.
(b) Entertained by her.
(c) Less interested in her.
(d) Confused by her.
5. What year is being celebrated in "Chapter 1"?
6. Why do the two Siamese princes do poorly in school?
(a) They don't try at school.
(b) They don't understand Japanese well.
(c) They already know the material so they are bored.
(d) They skip frequently.
7. In "Chapter 16," when does Kiyoaki visit his grandmother?
(a) On a long weekend.
(b) A Wednesday afternoon.
(c) During winter break.
(d) During spring break.
8. Who announces Satoko's arrival at the cherry festival?
(a) A maid.
(b) Chao P.
(d) Kiyoaki's father.
9. In "Chapter 22," why does Satoko's family submit a petition to the emperor?
(a) For the rights to new land.
(b) For her marriage.
(c) For a loan.
(d) For a restraining order.
10. Why does the Baron Shinkawa arrive early to the cherry festival?
(a) He likes to arrive early.
(b) He has to arrive before the imperial couple.
(c) He was asked to arrive early.
(d) He wants to help Kiyoaki's father get ready.
11. What does Kiyoaki do before introducing himself to Satoko for the first time since childhood?
(a) Washes his hands.
(c) Climbs a tree.
(d) Asks Honda for advice.
12. Why does Kiyoaki's father agree to help underwrite Satoko's dowry?
(a) Because he wants to upset Kiyoaki.
(b) Because of Satoko's family's help with Kiyoaki.
(c) Because he owes money to Satoko's father.
(d) Because he wants to look good.
13. In "Chapter 25," what does Kiyoaki do when reminded of his love for Satoko?
(a) He eats a feast.
(b) He goes to sleep.
(c) He doesn't say anything.
(d) He takes a deep breath.
14. When is the cherry blossom viewing?
(a) The cherry blossom viewing is in May.
(b) The cherry blossom viewing is in March.
(c) The cherry blossom viewing is in April.
(d) The cherry blossom viewing is in June.
15. In "Chapter 15," why does Kiyoaki throw away his early letter drafts to Satoko?
(a) Because he doesn't want to write to her anyway.
(b) Because he believes he sounds weak.
(c) Because he isn't being authentic.
(d) Because his spelling is horrible.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter 21," what does Kiyoaki burn in front of Iinuma?
2. At the celebration in "Chapter 10," what does Satoko tell Kiyoaki about?
3. In "Chapter 9," what does Iinuma say he feels was his responsibility to teach Kiyoaki?
4. What does Kiyoaki's grandmother ask him about in "Chapter 16"?
5. Why does Tadeshina agree to arrange a meeting between Satoko and Kiyoaki in "Chapter 26"?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)