|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Frank find the dinner at Vicki's father's house?
2. What does Frank believe he has finally found at the end of the story?
3. What does Walter tell Frank he would like to do after the gesture of kindness?
4. Where does Frank make a telephone call on the way home from Easter dinner?
5. What does Frank remember most about living with the other professor at the college?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Frank returns from Detroit and sees Walter, Walter gives Frank something. What does Walter try to give Frank and how is it received by Frank?
2. Upon returning from Detroit, detail the conversation and Frank's reaction when Walter tells Frank about his male encounter.
3. How does the uneasiness between Vicki and Frank show when Frank arrives at Vicki's father's home?
4. Who is waiting for Frank when he returns home from Detroit? What does this person want?
5. What does Frank do once he sees a woman he believes he knows in a catalog?
6. What does Frank do when he returns to his office in New York after Easter?
7. Describe Frank's relationship with another of Berkshire College's professors, Selma, while Frank taught at Berkshire.
8. Where is Frank at when he is making a phone call after leaving Wade's house and what happens while he is making a call?
9. Throughout the story, how has Frank shown growth in dealing with women?
10. On the way home from Vicki's father's on Easter, who does Frank think of and what does he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frank keeps a promise to Walter and travels to Florida to tell his illegitimate daughter about Walter's death. Frank travels to Florida and discovers Walter lied to him. Would Frank have been able to change if he would have stayed in New Jersey? Did Frank need a new change of place? What made Frank love Florida so much and choose to stay there?
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters in this book who seem to have no direction in their life. Students will choose one of the following characters from the book; Frank, Walter, or X. Students will then write about how the book details or shows this character has no direction in their life and how they are lost in a quiet despair.
Essay Topic 3
Walter is a man who Frank meets as a member of the Divorced Men Club. Who is this Walter? Write a biography of Walter, giving as much information about Walter as you can provide. Give specific examples and details from the story to support your biography.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)