|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following has not been a major theme of "The Sportswriter"?
2. What is behind Frank's house?
3. What was the other professor who lived with Frank at the college interested in from Frank?
4. Why did Frank get hired so quickly for the college teaching job?
5. In the letter, Walter claims to have what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Throughout the story, how has Frank shown growth in dealing with women?
2. List three members of Vicki's family Frank meets on Easter and Frank's impression of these people.
3. What does Frank do after leaving Walter's apartment?
4. Who is waiting for Frank outside the police station and what do they do?
5. What does Frank do when he returns to his office in New York after Easter?
6. On the way home from Vicki's father's on Easter, who does Frank think of and what does he do about it?
7. Why does X become uncomfortable at Walter's apartment and what does Frank do to make her feel this way?
8. Where is Frank at when he is making a phone call after leaving Wade's house and what happens while he is making a call?
9. Describe what happens at the Easter family dinner at Vicki's father's house.
10. Did X and the children visit Frank at Berkshire College? Give examples to support your answer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Different people handle situations and feelings differently. How do Frank and X each handle their fear of commitment throughout the story? Compare and contrast using specific examples and details from the story.
Essay Topic 2
When there is a break up or divorce, there are usually issues of trust. Explain the issues of trust that lay between Frank and X. Also, does this issue of trust extend further than just within their relationship or has it now affected trust issues with other people in their lives? Give specific details and examples from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The death of their son Ralph made a big contribution to the divorce of Frank and X. Frank and X also had large parts in the falling out of their marriage; although all of it appears to have been rooted in Ralph's death. What were some of the things Frank and X did after Ralph's death to contribute to their divorce? Give specific examples and details. What was the final event that led to the divorce? Be specific in your details. Finally, how are Frank and X's two living children handling the divorce of their parents? How can you tell?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)