|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank allow Walter to do when he returned from his trip to Detroit?
2. Where is Walter's child said to be in the letter?
3. Where does the investigation get Frank out of?
4. What is the name of the professor Frank lived with while he taught at a college?
5. What is the meeting Frank stuck his head in on about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frank do after leaving Walter's apartment?
2. Describe what happens at the Easter family dinner at Vicki's father's house.
3. What happens when Frank arrives at the police station Easter evening?
4. What does Frank do once he sees a woman he believes he knows in a catalog?
5. Why does X become uncomfortable at Walter's apartment and what does Frank do to make her feel this way?
6. How did Frank find his welcoming at Berkshire College by the other professors?
7. What does Frank become obsessed with after Ralph's death and why does Frank become obsessed with them?
8. Throughout the story, how has Frank shown growth in dealing with women?
9. How does the search for Walter's daughter help Frank?
10. Where is Frank at when he is making a phone call after leaving Wade's house and what happens while he is making a call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through the Divorced Men Club, Frank befriends a man named Walter. What are the similarities and differences between Frank and Walter in their personal and private lives? Give specific examples and details from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters in this book who seem to have no direction in their life. Students will choose one of the following characters from the book; Frank, Walter, or X. Students will then write about how the book details or shows this character has no direction in their life and how they are lost in a quiet despair.
Essay Topic 3
Frank wants to be normal. He is jealous of those people he gets to know or sees that have a "normal" life. What does Frank consider to be normal? Name three people in the story that Frank believes have a normal life and give details of how Frank believes their life is normal.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)