|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following has not been a major theme of "The Sportswriter"?
2. In the letter, Walter claims to have what?
3. What does Frank allow Walter to do when he returned from his trip to Detroit?
4. Where does Frank end up going after leaving Walter's apartment?
5. While Vicki is looking for the croquet mallets, who does Frank meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Suicide is a very difficult thing to deal with. Even though Frank did not get along well with Walter, hearing of the suicide of Walter changed Frank and brought more despair and grief. Give examples from the story of how Frank dealt with Walter's suicide. Did the suicide bring up different feelings from those of the death of Frank's son Ralph? How? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In a conversation Frank has with X's father-in-law, X's father-in-law calls Frank's relationship with Vicki a rebound relationship. Why does X's father-in-law call this relationship a rebound relationship? What causes X's father-in-law to make this statement? What is Frank's reaction to this comment and do you agree with the comment? Why / why not?
Essay Topic 3
Frank and X are hit hard with the loss of their son Ralph to Reye's Syndrome. What grieving process does each parent use for themselves to help them through the death of their son? Give specific details or examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)