|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While looking at a catalog, Frank sees a woman he believes he knows. Where does Frank go to see if it is the woman he knows?
2. What does the visitor want with Frank upon Frank's return from Detroit?
3. What does Walter want Frank to do when he finds his child?
4. What crashes into a phone booth while Frank is in it?
5. How did the relationship with the professor Frank lived with at the college begin and end?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Frank do after leaving Walter's apartment?
2. Who is waiting for Frank outside the police station and what do they do?
3. List three members of Vicki's family Frank meets on Easter and Frank's impression of these people.
4. On the way home from Vicki's father's on Easter, who does Frank think of and what does he do about it?
5. Detail the trip to Vicki's fathers home for Easter dinner.
6. When Frank returns from Detroit and sees Walter, Walter gives Frank something. What does Walter try to give Frank and how is it received by Frank?
7. Who is waiting for Frank when he returns home from Detroit? What does this person want?
8. Did X and the children visit Frank at Berkshire College? Give examples to support your answer.
9. What does Frank become obsessed with after Ralph's death and why does Frank become obsessed with them?
10. Upon returning from Detroit, detail the conversation and Frank's reaction when Walter tells Frank about his male encounter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All people have changed throughout the story; however, some are more noticeable than others. Who do you believe has changed the most? Describe this change in detail, and support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Frank and X are hit hard with the loss of their son Ralph to Reye's Syndrome. What grieving process does each parent use for themselves to help them through the death of their son? Give specific details or examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There are several characters in this book who seem to have no direction in their life. Students will choose one of the following characters from the book; Frank, Walter, or X. Students will then write about how the book details or shows this character has no direction in their life and how they are lost in a quiet despair.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)