|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Frank teach for a semester?
2. What person does Vicki want to tell Frank about at her father's?
3. What does Frank tell the visitor who is waiting for him when he returns from Detroit?
4. Where does Frank stop on the way to see Vicki's father in Chapter 10?
5. Who does Frank call on the holiday morning in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Detail the trip to Vicki's fathers home for Easter dinner.
2. What does Vicki share with Frank about Frank's doctor on Easter?
3. When Frank returns from Detroit and sees Walter, Walter gives Frank something. What does Walter try to give Frank and how is it received by Frank?
4. How did Frank find his welcoming at Berkshire College by the other professors?
5. What does Frank do when he returns to his office in New York after Easter?
6. Throughout the story, how has Frank shown growth in dealing with women?
7. How does the uneasiness between Vicki and Frank show when Frank arrives at Vicki's father's home?
8. How does the search for Walter's daughter help Frank?
9. Describe what happens at the Easter family dinner at Vicki's father's house.
10. What happens when Frank arrives at the police station Easter evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The death of their son Ralph made a big contribution to the divorce of Frank and X. Frank and X also had large parts in the falling out of their marriage; although all of it appears to have been rooted in Ralph's death. What were some of the things Frank and X did after Ralph's death to contribute to their divorce? Give specific examples and details. What was the final event that led to the divorce? Be specific in your details. Finally, how are Frank and X's two living children handling the divorce of their parents? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 2
Different people handle situations and feelings differently. How do Frank and X each handle their fear of commitment throughout the story? Compare and contrast using specific examples and details from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Another theme of this book is hope. Frank is in search of it and has opportunities to give it throughout the story. List three characters from the story that give Frank hope and explain how and why they give Frank hope. Frank also has the opportunity to give hope. Name two characters that Frank has and / or could have given hope to and why he chose to give or not to give these characters hope.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)