|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ralph think of on the holiday morning in Chapter 9?
2. What does Frank do before going to the police station?
3. Where did Walter meet his male lover?
4. What part of Frank's body is injured in of the crash with the phone booth?
5. Where is Walter's child said to be in the letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens at the Easter family dinner at Vicki's father's house.
2. When Frank returns from Detroit and sees Walter, Walter gives Frank something. What does Walter try to give Frank and how is it received by Frank?
3. List three members of Vicki's family Frank meets on Easter and Frank's impression of these people.
4. Throughout the story, how has Frank shown growth in dealing with women?
5. What happens when Frank arrives at the police station Easter evening?
6. Explain how Frank got a job offer to teach at Berkshire College.
7. What does Vicki share with Frank about Frank's doctor on Easter?
8. Describe Frank's relationship with another of Berkshire College's professors, Selma, while Frank taught at Berkshire.
9. Who is waiting for Frank when he returns home from Detroit? What does this person want?
10. How did Frank find his welcoming at Berkshire College by the other professors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frank and X are hit hard with the loss of their son Ralph to Reye's Syndrome. What grieving process does each parent use for themselves to help them through the death of their son? Give specific details or examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The death of their son Ralph made a big contribution to the divorce of Frank and X. Frank and X also had large parts in the falling out of their marriage; although all of it appears to have been rooted in Ralph's death. What were some of the things Frank and X did after Ralph's death to contribute to their divorce? Give specific examples and details. What was the final event that led to the divorce? Be specific in your details. Finally, how are Frank and X's two living children handling the divorce of their parents? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 3
All people have changed throughout the story; however, some are more noticeable than others. Who do you believe has changed the most? Describe this change in detail, and support your answer with evidence from the book.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)