|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Frank stop for a moment after driving around town after having drinks with Walter?
2. Who does Frank call from the hotel?
3. What type of school does this football player Frank is interviewing plan to attend?
4. What does Frank try to do to Vicki when he returns from the interview in Detroit?
5. Who appears out of nowhere while Frank waits in line to check in at the airport?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Frank is met by his doctor while waiting in line at the airport?
2. Why does Frank have trouble saying "I love you," even to Vicki?
3. How is Frank handling his divorce with X?
4. What happens while Frank is parked outside X's house in Chapter 4?
5. What is the Divorced Men Club?
6. What has X done since her divorce with Frank?
7. How is the theme of quiet despair seen in the interview with the football player in Detroit?
8. Does Frank think X can go on with her life without getting married?
9. What makes Frank's human-interest story, the interview with the football player in Detroit, difficult to write?
10. What does Frank do when he has trouble sleeping at the hotel in Detroit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters in this book who seem to have no direction in their life. Students will choose one of the following characters from the book; Frank, Walter, or X. Students will then write about how the book details or shows this character has no direction in their life and how they are lost in a quiet despair.
Essay Topic 2
All people have changed throughout the story; however, some are more noticeable than others. Who do you believe has changed the most? Describe this change in detail, and support your answer with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Ralph's death from Reye's Syndrome caused a big shake up in the lives of Ralph's family, eventually even leading to divorce. How can Ralph's death be viewed as a foreshadowing event for both Frank and X? Be sure to include details and examples from the story to defend your answer.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)