|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Frank call from the hotel?
2. After having drinks in Chapter 4, where does Frank find himself parked after having drinks with Walter?
3. What does Vicki have to drink at the hotel?
4. What type of illness prevented Frank from going to Vietnam?
5. Due to depression, what do Vicki and Frank end up doing after Frank returns from his meeting in Detroit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Frank think X can go on with her life without getting married?
2. What happens when Frank is met by his doctor while waiting in line at the airport?
3. What has become a ritual for Frank and X?
4. How is Frank handling his divorce with X?
5. Why do Frank and Vicki decide to leave Detroit early?
6. Who is Walter?
7. What do Frank and Vicki do after landing in Detroit?
8. How is the theme of quiet despair seen in the interview with the football player in Detroit?
9. What is the Divorced Men Club?
10. Why does Frank have trouble saying "I love you," even to Vicki?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frank keeps a promise to Walter and travels to Florida to tell his illegitimate daughter about Walter's death. Frank travels to Florida and discovers Walter lied to him. Would Frank have been able to change if he would have stayed in New Jersey? Did Frank need a new change of place? What made Frank love Florida so much and choose to stay there?
Essay Topic 2
The death of their son Ralph made a big contribution to the divorce of Frank and X. Frank and X also had large parts in the falling out of their marriage; although all of it appears to have been rooted in Ralph's death. What were some of the things Frank and X did after Ralph's death to contribute to their divorce? Give specific examples and details. What was the final event that led to the divorce? Be specific in your details. Finally, how are Frank and X's two living children handling the divorce of their parents? How can you tell?
Essay Topic 3
In Frank's depression and despair, he finds himself very vulnerable of people and things around him, thus making him jealous easily. Give two specific examples from the book of who Frank becomes jealous of. Why is he jealous of these people, and how does he handle the jealousy?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)