|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What love of William Jones's made him beloved?
2. Who stirred "vibrations" in Spoon River?
3. In what did Mabel Osborne see her life?
4. Where did Ippolit Konovaloff work?
5. Who or what did Lydia Humphrey love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the alligator rising out of the mud in Arlo Will's epitaph symbolize?
2. How does William Goode justify his aimless wandering?
3. What do many residents seek in the section beginning with William H. Herndon and ending with Alfonzo Churchill?
4. The section beginning with Magrady Graham and ending with Mabel Osborne contains several stories by residents who are considered enlightened souls. Give at least two examples of these residents.
5. How was Lucinda Matlock able to deal with the deaths of eight of her twelve children?
6. What souls are in the section beginning with Zilpha Marsh and ending with Webster Ford?
7. Why are there many references to soldiers and war in the section beginning with Magrady Graham and ending with Mabel Osborne?
8. What significance does Flossie have to John Cabanis's departure from the conservative party?
9. What is one theme of the section beginning with Edmund Pollard and ending with Dippold the Optician?
10. What is one theme in the section beginning with William H. Herndon and ending with Alfonzo Churchill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was John Cabanis right in attempting to overthrow the conservative party in The Spooniad? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What major events that happened in the town of Spoon River are explained in the epitaphs and the Spooniad?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of names in "Spoon River Anthology".
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)