|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom do the people want to see lynched as The Spooniad ends?
2. How did Elizabeth Childers lose a child?
3. What plant did Calvin Campbell wonder about?
4. Of what did Aaron Hatfield speak?
5. Who was the Sunday school superintendent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the epitaph about the many soldiers different from the other epitaphs in the "Spoon River Anthology"?
2. Why is Hog-eyed Allen at the courthouse on the day of the election? What happens to him?
3. How does William Goode justify his aimless wandering?
4. How did Felix Schmidt lose what little he had in life?
5. What do many residents seek in the section beginning with William H. Herndon and ending with Alfonzo Churchill?
6. Why does Jefferson Howard challenge the liberal party in the planning meeting?
7. Herman Altman and Columbus Cheney introduce the idea of reincarnation to the Anthology. Does this fit in with the Anthology's theme of spiritual evolution? If so, how? If not, why not?
8. What significance does Flossie have to John Cabanis's departure from the conservative party?
9. How was Lucinda Matlock able to deal with the deaths of eight of her twelve children?
10. What souls are in the section beginning with Zilpha Marsh and ending with Webster Ford?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the importance of names in "Spoon River Anthology".
Essay Topic 2
Explain the theme of spiritual evolution in "Spoon River Anthology".
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Epilogue and its role in "Spoon River Anthology".
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)