|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ippolit Konovaloff's occupation?
2. To what age did Lucinda Matlock live?
3. Why does The Spooniad end abruptly?
4. What did Seth Compton build?
5. Where did Ippolit Konovaloff work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast E. C. Culbertson and Hildrup Tubbs.
2. Why are there many references to soldiers and war in the section beginning with Magrady Graham and ending with Mabel Osborne?
3. Compare and contrast the village atheist and John Ballard.
4. How is Father Malloy's epitaph different from the others in the "Spoon River Anthology"?
5. What is one theme in the section beginning with William H. Herndon and ending with Alfonzo Churchill?
6. What role does literature play in the section beginning with Edmund Pollard and ending with Dippold the Optician?
7. What is one theme of the section beginning with Edmund Pollard and ending with Dippold the Optician?
8. How does William Goode justify his aimless wandering?
9. What does Lyman King say about Fate?
10. Why is Hog-eyed Allen at the courthouse on the day of the election? What happens to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was John Cabanis right in attempting to overthrow the conservative party in The Spooniad? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the tone of "Spoon River Anthology"? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
What major events that happened in the town of Spoon River are explained in the epitaphs and the Spooniad?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)