|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Charlie French hurt by a toy pistol?
2. Who tried to memorize the Encyclopedia Britannica?
3. Who wrote "Spoon River Anthology"?
4. Who drove Georgina Sand Miner from home?
5. Whom did the Rev. Lemuel Wiley save from divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is there a hero in the section beginning with Rev. Lemuel Wiley and ending with Anthony Findlay? If so, who and why? If not, why not?
2. What category of soul does Albert Schirding fit into? What does Jonas Keene think of him?
3. Compare and contrast Fiddler Jones and A. D. Blood.
4. Why does Masters introduce some honorable characters in the section beginning with Conrad Siever and ending with Cooney Potter?
5. What are the types of people included in the section beginning with Fiddler Jones and ending with Mrs. George Reece? Give one example of each.
6. How is Emily Sparks different from the other residents at the beginning of the "Spoon River Anthology"? How does she fit in with the other residents?
7. What happened to Ollie and Fletcher McGee? Why?
8. Name three residents of Spoon River who are considered foolish in the section from Conrad Siever to Cooney Potter. Why is each considered foolish?
9. Why can Nicholas Bindle be considered foolish? Why can he be considered heroic?
10. Explain how Fiddler Jones was able to die without a single regret.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What major events that happened in the town of Spoon River are explained in the epitaphs and the Spooniad?
Essay Topic 2
What is the tone of "Spoon River Anthology"? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
Was John Cabanis right in attempting to overthrow the conservative party in The Spooniad? Why?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)