|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Charlie French was hurt by a toy pistol?
2. At what age was Nellie Clark's innocence taken?
3. Whom did the Rev. Lemuel Wiley save from divorce?
4. Who was a vegetarian and free-thinker?
5. Who wrote "Spoon River Anthology"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Masters introduce some honorable characters in the section beginning with Conrad Siever and ending with Cooney Potter?
2. Compare and contrast Fiddler Jones and A. D. Blood.
3. How are the one-life minded souls like the fools in the "Spoon River Anthology"?
4. Explain the relationship between Roscoe and Mrs. Purkapile.
5. How is the Circuit Judge's sense of justice skewed?
6. What happened to Ollie and Fletcher McGee? Why?
7. Why can Nicholas Bindle be considered foolish? Why can he be considered heroic?
8. What is common about the residents in the first section?
9. Give three examples of one-life minded souls, and explain how each is one-life minded.
10. What is a common theme in the residents of the section beginning with John Cabanis and ending with Searcy Foote? Give an example.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain The Spooniad and its role in "Spoon River Anthology".
Essay Topic 2
What major events that happened in the town of Spoon River are explained in the epitaphs and the Spooniad?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the conflict between the conservative and liberal parties in Spoon River. What significance does this have to the Anthology?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)