|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose name was daily in the papers?
2. What did Widow McFarlane do for the village?
3. What happened when Charlie French was hurt by a toy pistol?
4. Who burned down Nancy Knapp's house?
5. Who was born blind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the relationship between Harmon Whitney and the other residents of Spoon River. Why did this relationship exist?
2. Did Searcy Foote feel justified in killing his aunt with chloroform? Why?
3. How are the one-life minded souls like the fools in the "Spoon River Anthology"?
4. Explain how Fiddler Jones was able to die without a single regret.
5. Is there a hero in the section beginning with Rev. Lemuel Wiley and ending with Anthony Findlay? If so, who and why? If not, why not?
6. Explain the premise of "Spoon River Anthology".
7. Why can Nicholas Bindle be considered foolish? Why can he be considered heroic?
8. What happened to Ollie and Fletcher McGee? Why?
9. Explain why Hod Put could not achieve success in life. What did he choose instead?
10. Some of the stories of the residents relate to each other, such as the stories of Hamilton Greene and Elsa Wertman. Why does Masters do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the conflict between the conservative and liberal parties in Spoon River. What significance does this have to the Anthology?
Essay Topic 2
How does Masters explore ethics in "Spoon River Anthology"? Use the example of at least one resident to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
What role does faith play in the lives of Spoon River's residents?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)