|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Daniel M'Cumber go?
2. What party did John Cabanis lead?
3. Who was the daughter of Lambert Hutchins?
4. What was Andy's job?
5. Why did no one in Spoon River like Dorcas Gustine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is common about the residents in the first section?
2. Name three residents of Spoon River who are considered foolish in the section from Conrad Siever to Cooney Potter. Why is each considered foolish?
3. What is a common theme in the residents of the section beginning with John Cabanis and ending with Searcy Foote? Give an example.
4. What is inspiring about Lois Spears?
5. Name three residents of Spoon River who are considered failures in the section from Conrad Siever to Cooney Potter. Why is each considered a failure?
6. What happened to Ollie and Fletcher McGee? Why?
7. What are the types of people included in the section beginning with Fiddler Jones and ending with Mrs. George Reece? Give one example of each.
8. Explain the relationship between Hamilton Greene and Elsa Wertman.
9. How are the one-life minded souls like the fools in the "Spoon River Anthology"?
10. Did Searcy Foote feel justified in killing his aunt with chloroform? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the Spooniad and the Epilogue fit into the larger work of the "Spoon River Anthology".
Essay Topic 2
Whose story is the most important in "Spoon River Anthology"? Why? How does this person's story affect the rest of the residents?
Essay Topic 3
Explain The Hill and its role in "Spoon River Anthology".
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)