|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who zigzagged aimlessly?
(a) Scholfield Hurley.
(b) J. Milton Miles.
(c) William Jones.
(d) William Goode.
2. In what did Mabel Osborne see her life?
(a) Gray dish water.
(b) A discarded banana peel.
(c) A drooping geranium.
(d) Unfolded laundry.
3. What was the name of Lucinda Matlock's husband?
4. What saved Alfred Moir's soul?
(a) A prayer.
(b) A sunrise.
(d) A book.
5. Where did Harry Wilmans follow the flag to?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who returns to Spoon River in The Spooniad?
2. Who always had the face of a boy?
3. Of what did Aaron Hatfield speak?
4. What did Joseph Dixon tune?
5. Whom did Elliot Hawkins look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give three examples of enlightened souls in the section beginning with Edmund Pollard and ending with Dippold the Optician.
2. Compare and contrast the village atheist and John Ballard.
3. Why might it be important to treat your friends and family well, according to Le Roy Goldman?
4. What is the explanation given about The Spooniad?
5. Compare and contrast E. C. Culbertson and Hildrup Tubbs.
6. Who killed Tom Merritt? What happened to Mrs. Merritt and her lover after Tom's murder?
7. What role does literature play in the section beginning with Edmund Pollard and ending with Dippold the Optician?
8. How is Father Malloy's epitaph different from the others in the "Spoon River Anthology"?
9. What is one theme in the section beginning with William H. Herndon and ending with Alfonzo Churchill?
10. The section beginning with Magrady Graham and ending with Mabel Osborne contains several stories by residents who are considered enlightened souls. Give at least two examples of these residents.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)