|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Amanda Barker's husband?
2. How did Hod Putt die?
(a) He killed himself.
(b) He was robbed and shot.
(c) He was hanged.
(d) He died of consumption.
3. With what did A. D. Blood kill Oscar Hummel?
(a) A rock.
(b) A pitchfork.
(c) A stick.
(d) A plank of wood.
4. Whom did the Rev. Lemuel Wiley save from divorce?
(a) The Blisses.
(b) The Pinkertons.
(c) The Crouses.
(d) The Wards.
5. What was the subject of Penniwit the Artist's best picture?
(a) The Hill.
(b) Judge Somers.
(c) Ida Chickens.
(d) A herd of cattle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Louise Smith engaged?
2. How tall was Judge Selah Lively?
3. Whose sermons were burned as waste paper?
4. Who was born blind?
5. Whom is Hod Putt buried next to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Name three residents of Spoon River who are considered failures in the section from Conrad Siever to Cooney Potter. Why is each considered a failure?
2. What does John Cabanis say did NOT contribute to his decision to leave the conservative party to lead the liberal party?
3. Compare and contrast Fiddler Jones and A. D. Blood.
4. What is inspiring about Lois Spears?
5. What is a common theme in the residents of the section beginning with John Cabanis and ending with Searcy Foote? Give an example.
6. Why is Andy the Night-Watch considered a quiet hero?
7. Explain the relationship between Roscoe and Mrs. Purkapile.
8. Why can Nicholas Bindle be considered foolish? Why can he be considered heroic?
9. What are the types of people included in the section beginning with Fiddler Jones and ending with Mrs. George Reece? Give one example of each.
10. Did Searcy Foote feel justified in killing his aunt with chloroform? Why?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)