|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Amanda Barker's husband kill her?
(a) By impregnating her.
(b) By poisoning her.
(c) By scaring her, causing a heart attack.
(d) By stabbing her.
2. For whom did Daniel M'Cumber never return?
(a) Georgine Sand Miner.
(b) Mrs. Sibley.
(c) Mary McNeely.
(d) Amelia Garrick.
3. Who betrayed Josiah Tompkins?
(a) His brother.
(b) His wife.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His son.
4. What poem describes the Spoon River Cemetery?
(a) "The Hill."
(b) "Spoon River Cemetery."
(c) "The Cemetery."
(d) "Ollie McGee."
5. Into what did Mickey M'Grew fall?
(a) The mine.
(b) A well.
(c) The water tower.
(d) Roy Butler's silo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Searcy Foote's murder weapon?
2. For what was Roy Butler framed?
3. Who tried to memorize the Encyclopedia Britannica?
4. Who shot the Marshal?
5. Why did no one in Spoon River like Dorcas Gustine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Nicholas Bindle be considered foolish? Why can he be considered heroic?
2. What is a common theme in the residents of the section beginning with John Cabanis and ending with Searcy Foote? Give an example.
3. Give three examples of one-life minded souls, and explain how each is one-life minded.
4. Several residents in the section beginning with Fiddler Jones and ending with Mrs. George Reece are one-life minded souls. What does this mean and who are they?
5. Some of the stories of the residents relate to each other, such as the stories of Hamilton Greene and Elsa Wertman. Why does Masters do this?
6. Explain how Fiddler Jones was able to die without a single regret.
7. Why is Andy the Night-Watch considered a quiet hero?
8. Explain the relationship between Hamilton Greene and Elsa Wertman.
9. What happened to Ollie and Fletcher McGee? Why?
10. Is there a hero in the section beginning with Rev. Lemuel Wiley and ending with Anthony Findlay? If so, who and why? If not, why not?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)