|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Parsefall feel during Cassandra’s funeral in the Epilogue?
2. The title of Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 43 is “The Maze in the” what?
3. What does Parsefall give to Lizzie Rose in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 41?
4. What playwright’s works does Lizzie Rose choose as items she would like from the house in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 34?
5. Where does Lizzie Rose take the dog in the morning in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 39?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives to visit Dr. Wintermute in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 48? What item does this character bring with her?
2. What does Clara ask of her parents in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 50? How do they respond?
3. What does Parsefall dream of in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 45? What does he vow to do when he awakens from the dream?
4. How is the arrival of Lizzie Rose and Parsefall at Strachan’s Ghyll described in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 29?
5. How does Cassandra say she came into possession of the phoenix-stone in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 49?
6. What decision does Dr. Wintermute make after meeting with his visitor in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 48? Why?
7. What does Clara do with the phoenix-stone once she’s stolen it in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 46? Who tries to stop her?
8. What is the outcome of the narrative for Cassandra in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 51?
9. How is the meeting of Lizzie Rose, Parsefall, and Cassandra described in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 32?
10. How does Parsefall save Clara in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 47? What do the children discover when they return to the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Cassandra want Parsefall to remember how cruel Grisini was to him? What did Grisini do to Parsefall? How does Parsefall react to the memory of this cruelty? Is it the reaction Cassandra wanted?
Essay Topic 2
Define the elements of plot structure, including “exposition,” “rising action,” “climax,” “falling action,” and “denouement.” Discuss where in the narrative each of these transitions takes place. How traditionally structured is the story of Splendors and Glooms?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters of Dr. and Mrs. Wintermute in the narrative. What is the profession of Dr. Wintermute? Where in London do they live? What does Mrs. Wintermute obsess over? How does this obsession affect their daughter?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)