|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Parsefall feel during Cassandra’s funeral in the Epilogue?
2. Cassandra says she met Marguerite at a boarding school located where in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 37?
3. What vocabulary word from Part Two: “Ice” means to change from a soft or fluid state to a rigid or solid state?
4. The title of Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 43 is “The Maze in the” what?
5. When Parsefall awakens from his nightmare in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 45, he vows to steal the phoenix-stone so that he can use it to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Parsefall dream of in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 45? What does he vow to do when he awakens from the dream?
2. How does Parsefall save Clara in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 47? What do the children discover when they return to the house?
3. What leads Clara to the decision that she must steal the phoenix-stone in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 46?
4. How is Christmas at the Wintermute estate described in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 40?
5. How is the meeting of Lizzie Rose, Parsefall, and Cassandra described in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 32?
6. What does Clara do with the phoenix-stone once she’s stolen it in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 46? Who tries to stop her?
7. What exchange takes place between Parsefall and Lizzie Rose in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 41?
8. How does Cassandra say she came into possession of the phoenix-stone in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 49?
9. What gift does Parsefall choose from Cassandra’s table in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 35?
10. What takes place in the climax of the novel in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 46?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of puppetry in the novel. What do you think the puppets in the story represent symbolically? What imagery is used to describe the puppets? What is the history of puppetry as entertainment?
Essay Topic 2
Where did Lizzie Rose find the puppet that looks like Clara? Why does the puppet look this way? How does Parsefall react to this puppet? For what reason?
Essay Topic 3
Define the elements of plot structure, including “exposition,” “rising action,” “climax,” “falling action,” and “denouement.” Discuss where in the narrative each of these transitions takes place. How traditionally structured is the story of Splendors and Glooms?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)