|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lizzie Rose unable to find when she awakens in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 39?
2. What word from Part Two: “Ice” refers to a person who works for another in order to learn a trade?
3. What does Lizzie Rose dress in to take the dog for a walk in the beginning of Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 30?
4. What does Parsefall hand to Clara on the ice in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 47?
5. What gemstone is on the necklace that Parsefall takes in order to give it to Lizzie Rose in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 35?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Cassandra’s condition described in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 49?
2. What decision does Dr. Wintermute make after meeting with his visitor in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 48? Why?
3. What gift does Parsefall choose from Cassandra’s table in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 35?
4. What sound awakens Clara in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 31? Where does Clara go to follow the sound?
5. How are Parsefall’s thoughts described in the Epilogue? What is Parsefall looking forward to?
6. How is the meeting of Lizzie Rose, Parsefall, and Cassandra described in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 32?
7. What actions does Clara commit in order to warn Parsefall and Lizzie Rose in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 33?
8. What does Parsefall reveal of Grisini’s whereabouts in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 47? What is Cassandra’s state like when the children encounter her?
9. Where does Lizzie Rose go on Christmas morning in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 39?
10. What does Cassandra relate about Marguerite in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 37?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of grief in the novel. How is this theme illustrated through the characters of Dr. and Mrs. Wintermute? How does Clara view the theme of grief? How does this theme encompass the other main characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Cassandra in the novel. Of what is she dying? Why does she blame her impending death on a stone? What kind of stone is it? Who does Cassandra think can help her prevent her impending death?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of Kensal Green cemetery in London. When was this cemetery established? How large is it? How is the mausoleum where the Wintermute children are entombed described? Why is Dr. Wintermute told to go there in Part One: “Fog”?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)