|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Clara’s governess gone to visit her sister on the morning of Clara’s birthday party?
2. What word from Part One: “Fog” refers to meat cartilage?
3. What ailment did Clara’s siblings die from?
4. What is Parsefall doing when Grisini returns home in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 15?
5. Grisini tells Cassandra in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 19 that in order for her to escape the curse of the phoenix-stone, it must be stolen by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part of Clara’s birthday party is she most looking forward to in the beginning of Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 1?
2. What does Parsefall do to intercede in the conflict between Lizzie Rose and Grisini in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 15?
3. What actions does Cassandra consider and commit regarding the dilemma she faces in the Prologue: “Fire”?
4. How is Lizzie Rose’s character described when she is introduced in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 2?
5. How do Lizzie Rose and Parsefall respond when learning of the tragedy that befell Clara’s siblings in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 3?
6. What is contained in the letter that Lizzie Rose finds in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 24?
7. What discovery do Lizzie Rose and Parsefall make in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 18? How do they respond to this discovery?
8. Where does Grisini awaken in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 19? What information does Cassandra learn from him?
9. What causes Dr. Wintermute shame when he talks with his daughter in the end of Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 6?
10. What vision does Cassandra experience on her birthday in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Cassandra want Parsefall to remember how cruel Grisini was to him? What did Grisini do to Parsefall? How does Parsefall react to the memory of this cruelty? Is it the reaction Cassandra wanted?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Parsefall and his history in the novel. What is a “workhouse” and why was Parsefall living there prior to Grisini taking him? How old is this character? How does Parsefall’s character evolve in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting established in the beginning of Splendors and Glooms. During what time period does the story take place? What clues from the author indicate this? Where specifically does the story begin? What years historically comprise the “Victorian era”?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)