|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season is noted in the opening of Part One: “Fog”?
2. What is the name of Cassandra’s childhood friend who looks like one of the women she sees in the mirror in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 7?
3. What is the title of Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 20?
4. Mrs. Pinchbeck tells Lizzie Rose in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 9 that who was suspected once before when a child went missing?
5. What is Grisini’s full name said to be in the Prologue: “Fire”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lizzie Rose and Parsefall respond when learning of the tragedy that befell Clara’s siblings in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 3?
2. What objects from Grisini’s room does Lizzie Rose display for Parsefall in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 20?
3. What encounter takes place between Parsefall and Dr. Wintermute in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 25?
4. Where does Grisini awaken in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 19? What information does Cassandra learn from him?
5. What is Cassandra doing when her character is first introduced in the Prologue: “Fire”? What is her principle concern?
6. Why does Grisini suggest that Cassandra send for his wards in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 19?
7. What is contained in the letter that Lizzie Rose finds in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 24?
8. What part of Clara’s birthday party is she most looking forward to in the beginning of Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 1?
9. What information does Mrs. Pinchbeck relate of Grisini in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 16?
10. What is Grisini doing in the beginning of Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 14? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Cassandra in the novel. Of what is she dying? Why does she blame her impending death on a stone? What kind of stone is it? Who does Cassandra think can help her prevent her impending death?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Lizzie Rose think that Grisini might be behind Clara’s kidnapping in Part One: “Fog”? What does she do to try to help the police find Clara? How does this come back to hurt Lizzie Rose?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the shared birth date between Cassandra, Marguerite, and Clara? Why does Cassandra try to summon Clara to her when she learns of this? What is the result?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)