|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the police leave in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 9, Lizzie Rose sends Parsefall out to buy what?
2. How many years ago had Grisini warned Cassandra of the phoenix-stone’s powers, according to the narrator in the Prologue: “Fire”?
3. What does Lizzie Rose tell the police officer when she sees him in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 11?
4. Who is said to have gone missing in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 8?
5. How do Lizzie Rose and Parsefall travel to Strachan’s Ghyll in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discovery do Lizzie Rose and Parsefall make in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 18? How do they respond to this discovery?
2. What encounter takes place between Parsefall and Dr. Wintermute in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 25?
3. What causes the argument between Lizzie Rose and Parsefall in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 10?
4. What objects from Grisini’s room does Lizzie Rose display for Parsefall in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 20?
5. What happens when Dr. Wintermute goes to Lizzie Rose’s room at the boarding house in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 26?
6. What leads up to the argument between Parsefall and Lizzie Rose in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 17?
7. What actions does Cassandra consider and commit regarding the dilemma she faces in the Prologue: “Fire”?
8. What information does Mrs. Pinchbeck relate of Grisini in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 16?
9. What is Lizzie Rose doing in the beginning of Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 27? Why?
10. How is Lizzie Rose’s character described when she is introduced in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Lizzie Rose in the novel. How old is Lizzie Rose? What about this character is admirable to Clara? What happened to Lizzie Rose’s family? For how long has she been the ward of Grisini?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters of Dr. and Mrs. Wintermute in the narrative. What is the profession of Dr. Wintermute? Where in London do they live? What does Mrs. Wintermute obsess over? How does this obsession affect their daughter?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Cassandra allow the children to take anything they want from her home in Part Two: “Ice”? What does this prove to the children? What is the real motive behind this action?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)