|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gemstone is on the locket that Clara’s parents give her for her birthday present in the beginning of the novel?
2. What does Dr. Wintermute see in Lizzie Rose’s room that leads him to threaten going to the police in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 26?
3. What is the title of Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 28?
4. What do the police do after questioning Parsefall and Lizzie Rose in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 8?
5. Lizzie Rose realizes after talking with Parsefall in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 10 that how many incidents have now occurred in which children went missing and their ward was questioned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lizzie Rose doing in the beginning of Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 27? Why?
2. What happens when Dr. Wintermute goes to Lizzie Rose’s room at the boarding house in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 26?
3. How do Lizzie Rose and Parsefall respond when learning of the tragedy that befell Clara’s siblings in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 3?
4. What does Parsefall do with Clara in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 23? What are Clara’s impressions of this experience?
5. What are Parsefall’s impressions of the Wintermute home when he arrives in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 3?
6. What information does Mrs. Pinchbeck relate to Lizzie Rose of Grisini’s past in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 9?
7. What actions does Cassandra consider and commit regarding the dilemma she faces in the Prologue: “Fire”?
8. What is Cassandra doing when her character is first introduced in the Prologue: “Fire”? What is her principle concern?
9. What is contained in the letter that Lizzie Rose finds in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 24?
10. What objects from Grisini’s room does Lizzie Rose display for Parsefall in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Parsefall and his history in the novel. What is a “workhouse” and why was Parsefall living there prior to Grisini taking him? How old is this character? How does Parsefall’s character evolve in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Lizzie Rose in the novel. How old is Lizzie Rose? What about this character is admirable to Clara? What happened to Lizzie Rose’s family? For how long has she been the ward of Grisini?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of Kensal Green cemetery in London. When was this cemetery established? How large is it? How is the mausoleum where the Wintermute children are entombed described? Why is Dr. Wintermute told to go there in Part One: “Fog”?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)