|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Grisini arrive at Cassandra’s estate, according to the narrator in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 19?
2. What do the police do after questioning Parsefall and Lizzie Rose in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 8?
3. What is the title of Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 25?
4. Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 12 begins how long after Clara’s disappearance?
5. Lizzie Rose realizes after talking with Parsefall in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 10 that how many incidents have now occurred in which children went missing and their ward was questioned?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lizzie Rose’s character described when she is introduced in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 2?
2. What is Cassandra doing when her character is first introduced in the Prologue: “Fire”? What is her principle concern?
3. What part of Clara’s birthday party is she most looking forward to in the beginning of Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 1?
4. What do the police do when they arrive in Grisini’s apartment in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 8?
5. What causes the argument between Lizzie Rose and Parsefall in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 10?
6. What encounter takes place between Parsefall and Dr. Wintermute in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 25?
7. What information does Mrs. Pinchbeck relate of Grisini in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 16?
8. Where does Grisini awaken in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 19? What information does Cassandra learn from him?
9. What leads up to the argument between Parsefall and Lizzie Rose in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 17?
10. What is contained in the letter that Lizzie Rose finds in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where did Lizzie Rose find the puppet that looks like Clara? Why does the puppet look this way? How does Parsefall react to this puppet? For what reason?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Parsefall and his history in the novel. What is a “workhouse” and why was Parsefall living there prior to Grisini taking him? How old is this character? How does Parsefall’s character evolve in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Dickensian style in Splendors and Glooms
a. In what ways does Splendors and Glooms exhibit stylistic elements similar to those of Charles Dickens? How do the characters in the story relate to the characters created by Dickens?
b. Discuss the character names in the novel. How do these names reflect the characteristics of the characters?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)