|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Cassandra’s childhood friend who looks like one of the women she sees in the mirror in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 7?
2. What is Mrs. Wintermute’s first name?
3. Lizzie Rose realizes after talking with Parsefall in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 10 that how many incidents have now occurred in which children went missing and their ward was questioned?
4. What does Parsefall do when he has trouble falling asleep in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 22?
(a) He goes to Lizzie Rose’s room
(b) He holds the Clara puppet
(c) He goes to Grisini’s room
(d) He calls his mother
5. Where has Dr. Wintermute been told to wait until dark with the ransom money in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 12?
(a) His bank vault
(b) His attic
(c) His children’s crypt
(d) The London Historical Museum
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Grisini arrive at Cassandra’s estate, according to the narrator in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 19?
2. What gemstone is on the locket that Clara’s parents give her for her birthday present in the beginning of the novel?
3. What word from the Prologue: “Fire” refers to a delicate ornamental work of fine silver, gold, or other metal wires, especially lacy jewelers' work of scrolls and arabesques?
4. What vocabulary word from Part One: “Fog” means to wrap an infant tightly to prevent movement?
5. In Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 18, who becomes convinced that the marionette is actually Clara?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Grisini suggest that Cassandra send for his wards in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 19?
2. What information does Mrs. Pinchbeck relate of Grisini in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 16?
3. How is Lizzie Rose’s character described when she is introduced in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 2?
4. What is Lizzie Rose doing in the beginning of Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 27? Why?
5. What happens when Dr. Wintermute goes to Lizzie Rose’s room at the boarding house in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 26?
6. What are Clara’s impressions of the puppet show in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 4?
7. What is contained in the letter that Lizzie Rose finds in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 24?
8. What discovery do Lizzie Rose and Parsefall make in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 18? How do they respond to this discovery?
9. How do Lizzie Rose and Parsefall respond when learning of the tragedy that befell Clara’s siblings in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 3?
10. What are Parsefall’s impressions of the Wintermute home when he arrives in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 3?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)