|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What vocabulary word from Part Two: “Ice” means to change from a soft or fluid state to a rigid or solid state?
2. Where does Parsefall suggest he and Lizzie Rose return in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 41?
(a) To Paris
(b) To Venice
(c) To London
(d) To Dublin
3. What is the name of the dog that stays with Lizzie Rose in Part Two: “Ice”?
4. Who is Lizzie Rose unable to find when she awakens in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 39?
(a) Dr. Wintermute
5. When Clara, Lizzie Rose, and Parsefall return to the house in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 47, they are surprised to see that what has collapsed?
(a) The grave marker
(b) The tower
(c) The goddess statue
(d) The fountain
6. Splendors and Glooms is related from what narrative perspective?
(a) Second person
(b) Fourth person
(c) First person
(d) Third person
7. Who does Lizzie Rose find standing at the door when she answers the doorbell in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 50?
(a) Dr. and Mrs. Wintermute
(b) Constable Hawkins
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Pinchbeck
8. Lizzie Rose does not want to return to London because she is afraid of what there in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 42?
(a) Her father
(b) Her mother
(c) The police
(d) The peasants
9. What is Lizzie Rose’s last name in the novel?
10. When Clara attempts to communicate a warning to Lizzie Rose and Parsefall in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 33, she imagines herself in Parsefall’s dreams. In the dream, Clara sees Parsefall as he mourns for whom?
(a) His father
(b) His sister
(c) His mother
(d) His brother
11. Dr. and Mrs. Wintermute argue because Dr. Wintermute refuses to go where with his wife in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 40?
(a) To the train station
(b) To her mother’s house
(c) To Easter Sunday services at church
(d) To the cemetery
12. What is the name of the butler at the Wintermute home in the novel?
(a) Mr. Pinchbeck
(d) Mr. Hawkins
13. Cassandra tells Lizzie Rose and Parsefall in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 32 that they can have anything in the house except for what?
(a) The stone around her neck
(b) Grisini’s automaton watch
(c) Her Oriental rug
(d) The books in the library
14. Where does Parsefall look forward to returning to in the novel’s Epilogue?
(d) New York
15. What word from Part Two: “Ice” refers to the arch that separates a stage from an auditorium?
(c) Orchestra pit
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has abandoned Strachan’s Ghyll in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 50?
2. Cassandra tells Lizzie Rose and Parsefall in Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 32 that she has set out several items for them to choose as what?
3. What was the name of Lizzie Rose’s father in the novel?
4. What is the title of Part Two: “Ice,” Chapter 41?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)