|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the police leave in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 9, Lizzie Rose sends Parsefall out to buy what?
(a) Oats for the horse
(b) Dog food
2. What is the name of the estate belonging to Cassandra where Grisini wakes up in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 19?
(a) Chester Square
(b) Kensal Green
(c) The White Lodge
(d) Strachan’s Ghyll
3. How many pence make up a shilling?
4. How much money has Dr. Wintermute been told to bring as ransom for his daughter in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 12?
(a) 10,000 pounds
(b) 1,000 pounds
(c) 5,000 pounds
(d) 2,000 pounds
5. What is described as having a hideous face and hangs from a cord above Cassandra’s bed in the Prologue: “Fire”?
(a) A gold donkey
(b) A silver dragon
(c) A ruby cat
(d) A brass monkey
6. What is the title of Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 16?
(b) A Member of the Audience
(c) The Rocking Chair
(d) The Morning After
7. What is the title of Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 20?
(a) An Unexpected Discovery
(b) Of Purse Strings and Puppet Strings
(c) The Staircase
8. What is the name of the police officer that Lizzie Rose speaks to in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 11?
(a) Constable Smith
(b) Constable Anderson
(c) Constable Hawkins
(d) Constable Dawkins
9. Where had Clara first encountered Grisini’s puppet-stage, according to the narrator in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 1?
(a) Hyde Park
(b) Prospect Park
(c) Central Park
(d) Dover Park
10. There is money for what purpose in the letter that Lizzie Rose finds in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 24?
(a) Plane fare
(b) To buy a car
(c) Carriage fare
(d) Train fare
11. Why does Cassandra summon Grisini in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 13?
(a) She wants to tell him that his father is actually still alive and living in Italy
(b) She hopes that he has the potion that will rid her of the curse of the phoenix-stone
(c) She intends to murder him
(d) She believes he can tell her how to rid herself of the curse of the phoenix-stone
12. How old is Clara turning on her birthday in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 1?
13. What does Dr. Wintermute see in Lizzie Rose’s room that leads him to threaten going to the police in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 26?
(a) His wedding ring
(b) The photograph from his home
(c) The puppet that looks like Clara
(d) A silver teapot from his home
14. How many years ago did Grisini take Parsefall from a workhouse, according to the narrator in Part One: “Fog”?
(a) 3 years ago
(b) 7 years ago
(c) 5 years ago
(d) 2 years ago
15. What is the title of Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 15?
(a) The Staircase
(c) The Morning After
(d) A Member of the Audience
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Parsefall do when he has trouble falling asleep in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 22?
2. What word from Part One: “Fog” refers to a cotton fabric made in various degrees of fineness and often printed, woven, or embroidered in patterns?
3. Who becomes upset and causes a scene when he sees the Clara puppet in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 25?
4. What word from Part One: “Fog” refers to the defense by an accused person of having been elsewhere at the time an alleged offense was committed?
5. Grisini tells Cassandra in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 19 that in order for her to escape the curse of the phoenix-stone, it must be stolen by whom?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)