|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of gemstone is the phoenix-stone said to be in the Prologue: “Fire”?
(a) A fire opal
(b) A ruby
(c) A sapphire
(d) A diamond
2. Mrs. Pinchbeck tells Lizzie Rose and Parsefall that they can stay with her under what condition in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 16?
(a) They help with housekeeping
(b) They call the police about Grisini
(c) They steal from the market for her
(d) They pay her 10 pounds rent a month
3. What do the police do after questioning Parsefall and Lizzie Rose in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 8?
(a) They take the children to a foster home
(b) They take Grisini to the jailhouse
(c) They search the apartment
(d) They ring the bell to Mrs. Pinchbeck’s apartment
4. Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 12 begins how long after Clara’s disappearance?
(a) Just over a week
(b) Just over a month
(c) Just under a year
(d) Half a year
5. What is Mrs. Wintermute’s first name?
6. How many pence make up a shilling?
7. How did Grisini arrive at Cassandra’s estate, according to the narrator in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 19?
(a) By train
(b) By airplane
(c) By car
(d) By bus
8. What is the title of Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 16?
(a) The Rocking Chair
(b) A Member of the Audience
(c) The Morning After
9. What is the title of Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 17?
(a) Of Purse Strings and Puppet Strings
(b) The Rocking Chair
(c) An Unexpected Discovery
(d) The Egyptian Hall
10. Who tells Lizzie Rose that the police are at their home in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 8?
(c) Mrs. Pinchbeck
(d) Miss Cameron
11. What vocabulary word from Part One: “Fog” means to wrap an infant tightly to prevent movement?
12. What is described as having a hideous face and hangs from a cord above Cassandra’s bed in the Prologue: “Fire”?
(a) A brass monkey
(b) A gold donkey
(c) A silver dragon
(d) A ruby cat
13. What is the name of the housemaid that comes to awaken Clara on her birthday in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 1?
(a) Mrs. Fettle
(c) Mr. Pinchbeck
14. The legend on the puppet cart of Grisini’s says “The Phenomenal Professor Grisini and his” what?
(a) Muppet Masterpiece
(b) Venetian Fantoccini
(c) Marionettes of Wonder
(d) Magnificent Puppets
15. Where had Clara first encountered Grisini’s puppet-stage, according to the narrator in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 1?
(a) Prospect Park
(b) Central Park
(c) Hyde Park
(d) Dover Park
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment does Mrs. Pinchbeck appear to suffer from in the novel?
2. Why does Cassandra summon Grisini in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 13?
3. Lizzie Rose realizes after talking with Parsefall in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 10 that how many incidents have now occurred in which children went missing and their ward was questioned?
4. The letter that Lizzie Rose finds while mending clothes for Mrs. Pinchbeck’s stepson in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 24 is addressed to whom?
5. What word from Part One: “Fog” refers to a cotton fabric made in various degrees of fineness and often printed, woven, or embroidered in patterns?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)