|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part One: “Fog,” Chapters 7-17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Clara’s governess gone to visit her sister on the morning of Clara’s birthday party?
2. What color hair is Lizzie Rose described as having in the narrative?
3. What does Cassandra hit with the mirror instead of the phoenix-stone in the end of the Prologue: “Fire”?
(a) Her hand
(b) Her foot
(c) The bed
(d) Her bracelet
4. What is the name of the housemaid that comes to awaken Clara on her birthday in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 1?
(c) Mr. Pinchbeck
(d) Mrs. Fettle
5. How much money has Dr. Wintermute been told to bring as ransom for his daughter in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 12?
(a) 2,000 pounds
(b) 10,000 pounds
(c) 5,000 pounds
(d) 1,000 pounds
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Cassandra and Grisini been when Grisini warned Cassandra of the powers of the phoenix-stone, according to the narrator in the Prologue: “Fire”?
2. What gemstone is on the locket that Clara’s parents give her for her birthday present in the beginning of the novel?
3. What word from the Prologue: “Fire” refers to a delicate ornamental work of fine silver, gold, or other metal wires, especially lacy jewelers' work of scrolls and arabesques?
4. How many years ago had Grisini warned Cassandra of the phoenix-stone’s powers, according to the narrator in the Prologue: “Fire”?
5. Mrs. Pinchbeck tells Lizzie Rose and Parsefall that they can stay with her under what condition in Part One: “Fog,” Chapter 16?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)