|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is special about what Saskia has to accomplish in Chapter 29?
2. What does the tailor do when he becomes enraged in Chapter 33?
3. What does the tailor ask Saskia for in Chapter 20?
4. What does Elke tell the tailor about at the beginning of Chapter 17?
5. What is the tailor doing when Elke tells him that Saskia is pregnant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What offends the tailor in Chapter 20?
2. What does the tailor do in anticipation of his grandchild in Chapter 32?
3. What does Elke confess to the tailor in Chapter 24?
4. Why does Saskia use vinegar to wash herself in Chapter 23?
5. What does the tailor anticipate in Chapter 32?
6. What does Saskia do to make herself less lonely in Chapter 23?
7. Why does Saskia run away from Dagmar's home in Chapter 22?
8. What does the tailor do for Saskia in Chapter 18?
9. Why does the king ask Saskia to marry him in Chapter 21? How does she reply to his proposal?
10. What makes Saskia frightened in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Napoli's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why might Napoli use foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles faced by Saskia throughout the novel. How does she deal with these obstacles and how does she overcome them? What or who causes these problems for her?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the tailor as a character. What are his defining character traits? What is his role in the story? Is he the antagonist of the story? Why or why not? What are his goals and ambitions? What is his relationship like with Saskia?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)