|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the king threaten to do in Chapter 19?
2. What does Saskia have her guards do in Chapter 31?
3. Why is Saskia angry with the king in Chapter 21?
4. What does Saskia try to convince herself of in Chapter 29?
5. Who does Saskia ask the guard and head servant to keep an eye out for in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the tailor react when Saskia guesses his name correctly in Chapter 33?
2. Why does Saskia run away from Dagmar's home in Chapter 22?
3. What does the tailor do in anticipation of the arrival of his grandchild in Chapter 26?
4. How does the novel "Spinners" end?
5. How does Saskia try to convince the tailor to let her keep her child in Chapter 29?
6. What happens on the second night in Chapter 31?
7. How does the king prove to Saskia that he will never ask her to spin straw again?
8. What has brought Saskia and Dagmar closer together in Chapter 14?
9. What does the king do to Saskia when her father tells him about the gold straw in Chapter 16?
10. What offends the tailor in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Did you enjoy the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of love and romance in the novel. Who are some couples in love in the novel? Who marries for love? Who does not? What role does romantic love play in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of separation in the novel. Who is the tailor separated from throughout the novel? How does this impact his character? Who is Saskia separated from? How does she feel when her birth secret is revealed? Does she feel a sense of loss to know that she has been separated from her birth father her whole life? Why or why not?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)