|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person who overhears Saskia's conversation in Chapter 31 tell Saskia?
2. What enrages the tailor in Chapter 33?
3. What has brought Saskia and Dagmar closer together in Chapter 14?
4. What does the tailor do with the straw in Chapter 17?
5. What is so unique about Saskia's yarn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the tailor do for Saskia in Chapter 18?
2. What does the tailor anticipate in Chapter 32?
3. Why does Saskia run away from Dagmar's home in Chapter 22?
4. How does the tailor react when Saskia guesses his name correctly in Chapter 33?
5. What does the king do to Saskia when her father tells him about the gold straw in Chapter 16?
6. What happens on the second night in Chapter 31?
7. What does the tailor offer Saskia the chance to do in Chapter 29?
8. What happens on the first night in Chapter 30?
9. What does Elke confess to the tailor in Chapter 24?
10. Why does the miller lie about what Saskia can do with the yarn in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the symbolism in the novel "Spinners". What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What does the spinning wheel symbolize? What does the tailor's deformed leg symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Saskia. What are her defining character traits? Discuss her relationships with her father, the king, Dagmar and the miller.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of betrayal in the novel "Spinners". Who betrays who and why? How do these examples of betrayal impact the characters who are betrayed?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)