|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Saskia doing when she learns some news from her father in Chapter 14?
2. What does the person who overhears Saskia's conversation in Chapter 31 tell Saskia?
3. What does Saskia do on the second night in Chapter 31?
4. Why does Saskia ask the miller to be watched in Chapter 25?
5. How does the tailor say his name aloud in Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the tailor offer Saskia the chance to do in Chapter 29?
2. Why does Saskia run away from home in Chapter 22?
3. What makes Saskia frightened in Chapter 24?
4. What does the tailor do for Saskia in Chapter 18?
5. What happens on the first night in Chapter 30?
6. Why does Saskia run away from Dagmar's home in Chapter 22?
7. How does Saskia try to convince the tailor to let her keep her child in Chapter 29?
8. What does the king do to Saskia when her father tells him about the gold straw in Chapter 16?
9. What happens when Saskia needs the tailors help in Chapter 19?
10. What does Elke confess to the tailor in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different archetypes present in the novel. Are these archetypes commonly found in fairy tales?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the struggles faced by Saskia throughout the novel. How does she deal with these obstacles and how does she overcome them? What or who causes these problems for her?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the symbolism in the novel "Spinners". What are some examples of symbolism in the novel? What does the spinning wheel symbolize? What does the tailor's deformed leg symbolize?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)