|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elke bring to the tailor in Chapter 11?
2. Why does Saskia have to sell these things in Chapter 6?
3. How regularly does Elke visit the tailor in Chapter 11?
4. What is the title of Part 1 of the novel?
5. What does Elke tell the tailor about the person who made the object in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the miller becomes depressed in Chapter 6?
2. Why does Saskia cut her father's hair in Chapter 5?
3. What does the young maiden do when the tailor's leg becomes cramped in Chapter 3?
4. What does Elke bring the tailor in Chapter 11?
5. How does Saskia's father help out in Chapter 10?
6. What happens at the end of Chapter 4?
7. What does Saskia's father do while she is spinning threads in Chapter 12?
8. Who does the tailor meet along the side of the road in Chapter 7 and what does he ask them for?
9. What does Saskia learn in Chapter 9?
10. How does Saskia cut her father's cheek in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Spinners". Describe Saskia's family. Is family important to her? In what way is her family life complicated?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Napoli's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why might Napoli use foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the struggles faced by Saskia throughout the novel. How does she deal with these obstacles and how does she overcome them? What or who causes these problems for her?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)