|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has the young maiden married by Chapter 4?
2. What is the title of Part 1 of the novel?
3. What is Saskia unable to resist doing in Chapter 12?
4. What does the tailor come to believe about Elke in Chapter 11?
5. What does the tailor vow to the young woman in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the end of Chapter 4?
2. What happens when the tailor tries spinning with straw in Chapter 2?
3. What does Saskia promise herself at the end of Chapter 12?
4. Why does the tailor want Saskia's spinner in Chapter 11?
5. What is the young maiden concerned about in Chapter 1?
6. Who is Elke?
7. How does Saskia's father help out in Chapter 10?
8. Why doesn't the young maiden's father want the tailor to marry his daughter?
9. What does the tailor insist upon in Chapter 11?
10. What is the tailor's actual motives for asking many questions about Saskia in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss conflict in the novel "Spinners". Who is in conflict with whom and why? How do these conflicts alter or influence the plot and the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Did you enjoy the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Napoli's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why might Napoli use foreshadowing?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)