|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Saskia use of her mother's in Chapter 9?
2. What does the tailor vow to the young woman in Chapter 4?
3. What does the tailor come to believe about Elke in Chapter 11?
4. What does the tailor try to do with yarn in Chapter 2?
5. What does the tailor insist Elke do in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Saskia want to trade wheels with Elke in Chapter 12?
2. What classic story does "Spinners" borrow elements from?
3. Who is Elke?
4. What does the tailor insist upon in Chapter 11?
5. What happens when the tailor tries spinning with straw in Chapter 2?
6. How does Saskia cut her father's cheek in Chapter 5?
7. What is the tailor's actual motives for asking many questions about Saskia in Chapter 13?
8. Why does the tailor approach the local spinner in Chapter 2?
9. What does Saskia promise herself at the end of Chapter 12?
10. What does Elke bring the tailor in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Spinners". Describe Saskia's family. Is family important to her? In what way is her family life complicated?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the imagery in the novel "Spinners". What are some examples of imagery in the novel and what is the meaning behind them?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to either Saskia or the tailor? What are their roles in the novel?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)