|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Saskia start to help Dagmar's mother do in Chapter 9?
2. What does Saskia's father help do at the end of Chapter 10?
3. What does the tailor buy from the farmer in Chapter 1?
4. How regularly does Elke visit the tailor in Chapter 11?
5. When Saskia's father awakens in Chapter 6, what does he believe has happened to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the tailor discover when he returns home in Chapter 8?
2. What classic story does "Spinners" borrow elements from?
3. What does Saskia learn in Chapter 9?
4. What does the young maiden do when the tailor's leg becomes cramped in Chapter 3?
5. Why does Saskia cut her father's hair in Chapter 5?
6. What happens when the miller becomes depressed in Chapter 6?
7. What does the tailor realize while talking to Elke in Chapter 11?
8. What does Elke assume when the tailor keeps asking her questions about Saskia in Chapter 13?
9. What does Elke bring the tailor in Chapter 11?
10. What happens when the tailor tries spinning with straw in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the secondary characters of the novel. Who are they and what are their defining character traits? How are they related to either Saskia or the tailor? What are their roles in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different archetypes present in the novel. Are these archetypes commonly found in fairy tales?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Did you enjoy the novel? Why or why not?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)