|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the young maiden and the tailor at the beginning of the story?
2. How does the tailor feel about the people he has met after a few weeks in Chapter 7?
3. What does Saskia's father take away from her in Chapter 12?
4. Who catches the tailor in Chapter 1?
5. Who does the young maiden's father want her to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Saskia's father do while she is spinning threads in Chapter 12?
2. What is the tailor's actual motives for asking many questions about Saskia in Chapter 13?
3. Why does the tailor approach the local spinner in Chapter 2?
4. What does Elke bring the tailor in Chapter 11?
5. What happens at the end of Chapter 4?
6. Why doesn't the tailor invite Elke inside his house in Chapter 11?
7. How does Saskia's father help out in Chapter 10?
8. What does Elke assume when the tailor keeps asking her questions about Saskia in Chapter 13?
9. What is the young maiden concerned about in Chapter 1?
10. Why doesn't the young maiden's father want the tailor to marry his daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the imagery in the novel "Spinners". What are some examples of imagery in the novel and what is the meaning behind them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel. In what way is the setting an important aspect of this story? How do the different settings in the novel contrast with one another?
Essay Topic 3
Summarize the "Rumpelstiltskin" fairy tale. Discuss which elements of the fairy tale Napoli incorporates into her novel as well the effectiveness of these elements in the story.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)