|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Saskia?
2. How does the tailor feel about the people he has met after a few weeks in Chapter 7?
3. How regularly does Elke visit the tailor in Chapter 11?
4. What is the title of Part 2?
5. What does Saskia discuss with her friend in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the young maiden concerned about in Chapter 1?
2. Why doesn't the young maiden's father want the tailor to marry his daughter?
3. What does the tailor spend a week looking for in Chapter 2 and why?
4. How does Saskia's father help out in Chapter 10?
5. Why doesn't the tailor invite Elke inside his house in Chapter 11?
6. What does Elke assume when the tailor keeps asking her questions about Saskia in Chapter 13?
7. Why does the tailor approach the local spinner in Chapter 2?
8. Why doesn't Saskia want to trade wheels with Elke in Chapter 12?
9. What does Saskia promise herself at the end of Chapter 12?
10. How does the tailor try to convince the father of the young maiden that he is worthy of his daughter in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of love and romance in the novel. Who are some couples in love in the novel? Who marries for love? Who does not? What role does romantic love play in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the character Saskia. What are her defining character traits? Discuss her relationships with her father, the king, Dagmar and the miller.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Napoli's use of foreshadowing. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? Why might Napoli use foreshadowing?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)