|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the tailor doing when Elke tells him that Saskia is pregnant?
(a) He is making his bed.
(b) He is doing dishes.
(c) He is hanging a picture.
(d) He is hanging shutters.
2. How long into her marriage does it take Saskia to become pregnant?
(a) A year.
(b) Three months.
(c) A year and a half.
(d) Eight months.
3. Who does Saskia give birth to?
(a) Twin girls.
(b) A daughter.
(c) Twin boys.
(d) A son.
4. What does Saskia have her guards do in Chapter 31?
(a) Watch the tailor and figure out his name.
(b) Arrest the tailor.
(c) Follow Elke.
(d) Kill the tailor.
5. Why does the tailor plan to leave the village for a year in Chapter 28?
(a) To avoid Saskia.
(b) To meet with an old friend in another country.
(c) So that Elke will not guess his plans.
(d) To explore the world before having to raise a child.
6. What does the tailor ask Elke to do for him in Chapter 17?
(a) Sneak him into Saskia's room.
(b) Find him a way to meet with the king.
(c) Make him supper.
(d) Steal the spinning wheel.
7. What does Saskia mistakenly believe the tailor wants from her in Chapter 20?
(a) The gold straw.
(b) Her necklace.
(c) Her child.
8. Where does Saskia run away to in Chapter 22?
(a) Elke's family cottage.
(b) Dagmar's family.
(c) The tailor's home.
(d) Her grandmother's house.
9. What does Dagmar's mother want Saskia to do in Chapter 22?
(a) Find a husband for Dagmar.
(b) Give her money.
(c) Marry her son.
(d) All of the chores.
10. What does the tailor do with the straw in Chapter 17?
(a) He burns it.
(b) He spins it into gold.
(c) He sleeps on it.
(d) He throws it out a window.
11. What happens that Saskia hoped would not in Chapter 29?
(a) She becomes pregnant again.
(b) Dagmar resigns.
(c) The tailor shows up for her firstborn.
(d) The miller dies.
12. What does Saskia decide after meeting with some trouble in Chapter 22?
(a) She should tell the village the truth about how she spun gold.
(b) She must run away to where no one knows about her.
(c) She should marry the king.
(d) She must pretend to be mute.
13. Why does the tailor react to Saskia in such a manner in Chapter 30?
(a) He is surprised that she is so organized.
(b) He is happy that his daughter shares his wit.
(c) He is convinced that she will never figure out his name.
(d) He did not think that Saskia would involve the king.
14. When Saskia returns home in Chapter 22, what does her father want her to do?
(a) Marry the neighbor's son.
(b) Meet with the tailor.
(c) Clean the house from top to bottom.
(d) Spin straw into gold for him.
15. What does the king do after seeing Saskia's work in Chapter 18?
(a) He moves her to a bigger room with more straw.
(b) He has a feast.
(c) He calls her a witch.
(d) He has Saskia walk alongside him in a parade.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the king do to Saskia in Chapter 16?
2. Why is Saskia angry with the king in Chapter 21?
3. What does the tailor give Saskia multiple chances to accomplish in Chapter 29?
4. What does the tailor comment on in Chapter 20 that leads to a misunderstanding?
5. How does the king react to Saskia's work in Chapter 18?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)