|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the tailor's leg in Chapter 2?
(a) He cuts his leg on a saw.
(b) It cramps and does not straighten again.
(c) He has it tattooed.
(d) A large rock falls on his leg.
2. Why does the tailor leave his new home at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) He realizes that he does not believe in God.
(b) He learns that the father and son plan to take a trip without him.
(c) He finds that the pub life is not for him.
(d) He finds that the vagrants have stolen from him.
3. Why does Saskia not want to do what her father wants her to in Chapter 12?
(a) She does not want to give up the wheel that her mother has touched.
(b) She has nowhere to go.
(c) She finds the tailor to be a little strange.
(d) She dislikes school.
4. Why does Saskia have to sell these things in Chapter 6?
(a) To survive.
(b) As a favor to her neighbor.
(c) So the items do not spoil.
(d) To make money to buy a new dress.
5. Where is the tailor sitting at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) The side of the road.
(b) In a church.
(c) In a pub.
(d) In a field.
6. What does the tailor realize when Elke tells him about the creator of the object she brings him in Chapter 11?
(a) The person is his own daughter.
(b) The person does not exist.
(c) The person is male.
(d) The person is more talented than he.
7. What does the tailor tell the young maiden and her father about his leg in Chapter 3?
(a) The cut will never heal.
(b) The cramp will go away.
(c) The tattoo is a symbol of his love.
(d) The broken bone will not heal properly.
8. What does the tailor try to sell in Chapter 8?
(a) His spinning wheel.
(b) His Bible.
(c) His watch.
(d) His yarns.
9. What is Saskia unable to resist doing in Chapter 12?
(a) Stealing money from her father.
(b) Skimming through a school book.
(c) Spying on the tailor.
(d) Spinning a small number of threads on the tailor's wheel.
10. What does the young maiden warn the tailor about in Chapter 1?
(a) That her father wants her to marry someone else.
(b) That they will be late for church.
(c) That she is not feeling well.
(d) That she might be pregnant.
11. Where does the tailor hope to find refuge in Chapter 8?
(a) A church.
(b) A cave.
(c) On a fishing ship.
(d) His brother's home.
12. What does the tailor vow to the young woman in Chapter 4?
(a) To avenge her betrayal.
(b) To marry a better woman.
(c) To win her over in the end.
(d) His continuing love.
13. Where does Elke have the tailor live?
(a) At her uncle's home.
(b) In an isolated home in the woods.
(c) In a small cottage on the edge of the village.
(d) At her house.
14. What does Saskia have to sell in Chapter 6?
(a) Candles and wax.
(c) Herbs and vegetables.
(d) Poultry and eggs.
15. How long does the tailor have to prove himself to the young maiden's father?
(a) By the end of the month.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three months.
(d) A year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elke ask Saskia's father do to in Chapter 12?
2. What does the tailor do to the straw to be able to do what he wants with it in Chapter 2?
3. Who is Elke?
4. How is Elke described?
5. What does Elke give to Saskia's father in Chapter 12?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)