|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Saskia have to sell these things in Chapter 6?
(a) So the items do not spoil.
(b) To make money to buy a new dress.
(c) To survive.
(d) As a favor to her neighbor.
2. Who does the tailor ask about when Elke shows him the object in Chapter 11?
(a) The miller.
(c) The spinner.
(d) The King.
3. What happens as the young maiden tries to help the tailor's leg in Chapter 3?
(a) The broken bone shifts and causes more pain.
(b) The cut becomes infected.
(c) The cramp gets worse.
(d) The tattoo becomes infected.
4. What does Saskia not want to do in Chapter 12?
(a) Make friends with the tailor.
(b) Go to school.
(c) Give up her mother's wheel.
(d) Move out.
5. What does the tailor try to sell in Chapter 8?
(a) His watch.
(b) His spinning wheel.
(c) His Bible.
(d) His yarns.
6. What does Elke believe of the tailor's feelings for Saskia in Chapter 13?
(a) He tolerates her.
(b) He hates her.
(c) He loves her.
(d) He is indifferent towards her.
7. Who reports to the tailor about the young maiden in Chapter 4?
(a) A pupil.
(b) A beggar on the street.
(c) The sea captain.
(d) A young boy who works at the mill.
8. Who is Elke?
(a) A fellow tailor who is close to the tailor.
(b) A member of the aristocracy who pities the tailor.
(c) The tailor's neighbor who supports him.
(d) A woman who insists on seeing the tailor create some of his fine yarns.
9. Where does the young maiden live in Chapter 4?
(a) In a mansion.
(b) At the mill.
(c) In a small cottage.
(d) On a boat.
10. Who does Elke work for?
(b) The town gossip.
(c) The King.
(d) Her husband.
11. What does the young maiden try to do to the tailor's leg at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Hide it.
(b) Stitch it up.
(c) Massage it.
(d) Cut it off.
12. What does Saskia discuss with her friend in Chapter 5?
(a) That her grandfather is very religious and will never allow her to marry.
(b) That her brother is a prude and she dislikes him.
(c) That her uncle is greedy and spiteful.
(d) The idea that if her father shaved he could attract a new wife.
13. What does Saskia's father take away from her in Chapter 12?
(a) Her favorite necklace.
(b) Her mother's wheel.
(d) A book.
14. Where is the tailor sitting at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) In a pub.
(b) In a church.
(c) The side of the road.
(d) In a field.
15. Who has the young maiden married by Chapter 4?
(a) A miller.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A businessman.
(d) A sailor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the tailor and Elke meet where they do in Chapter 11?
2. What does the tailor set out to prove to the young maiden's father in Chapter 1?
3. What does the tailor buy from the farmer in Chapter 1?
4. What does Elke ask Saskia's father do to in Chapter 12?
5. Where is the tailor told he can find the young maiden on the day she is to give birth?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)