|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the tailor agree to give to the passersby?
(a) Food and money.
(b) Custom-made clothing.
(c) His gold watch.
(d) His spinning wheel.
2. Where does Elke visit the tailor in Chapter 11?
(a) Near the stream.
(b) Inside his cabin.
(c) In the village square.
(d) Outside his cabin.
3. Who is Dagmar?
(a) Saskia's stepmother.
(b) Saskia's friend.
(c) Saskia's neighbor.
(d) Saskia's sister.
4. What happens to the tailor's leg in Chapter 2?
(a) A large rock falls on his leg.
(b) It cramps and does not straighten again.
(c) He has it tattooed.
(d) He cuts his leg on a saw.
5. What does Saskia use of her mother's in Chapter 9?
(a) Her yarn.
(b) Her dress.
(c) Her low spinning wheel.
(d) Her techniques.
6. Why do the tailor and Elke meet where they do in Chapter 11?
(a) They want privacy.
(b) They want to be seen by others.
(c) He does not want to have her inside his sparse little home.
(d) It is cold outside.
7. How does Saskia accidentally cut her father's cheek?
(a) By handing him scissors absentmindedly.
(b) By shoving the cat in his face.
(c) By trying to make his haircut even.
(d) By shaving his beard.
8. What does the tailor insist Elke do in Chapter 11?
(a) Never visit him again.
(b) Find him a new place to live.
(c) Contact Saskia.
(d) Introduce him to the king.
9. What does the tailor discover about his sister-in-law in Chapter 8?
(a) She is dying.
(b) She has died.
(c) She has given birth to four children.
(d) She has remarried.
10. How does the tailor feel about the people he has met after a few weeks in Chapter 7?
(a) He thinks they are kind folk who are just down on their luck.
(b) He feels as though he has become a part of the family.
(c) He thinks they are the lowest form of human.
(d) He resents them.
11. What does the tailor want Elke to trade his spinning wheel for in Chapter 11?
(b) A brace for his leg.
(c) Saskia's spinning wheel.
(d) A new bed.
12. Where is the tailor sitting at the beginning of Chapter 7?
(a) The side of the road.
(b) In a church.
(c) In a pub.
(d) In a field.
13. Of whom does the tailor ask questions about in Chapter 13?
(b) The miller.
(c) The king.
14. What does Saskia start to help Dagmar's mother do in Chapter 9?
(a) Sell her yarn.
(b) Mend her garments.
(c) Look after her children.
(d) Cook her food.
15. What does the young maiden warn the tailor about in Chapter 1?
(a) That she might be pregnant.
(b) That her father wants her to marry someone else.
(c) That they will be late for church.
(d) That she is not feeling well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Elke?
2. Who reports to the tailor about the young maiden in Chapter 4?
3. Who does the tailor ask about when Elke shows him the object in Chapter 11?
4. What does Elke give to Saskia's father in Chapter 12?
5. Where is the tailor told he can find the young maiden on the day she is to give birth?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)