|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Saskia start to help Dagmar's mother do in Chapter 9?
(a) Sell her yarn.
(b) Cook her food.
(c) Mend her garments.
(d) Look after her children.
2. What does the tailor insist Elke do in Chapter 11?
(a) Introduce him to the king.
(b) Find him a new place to live.
(c) Never visit him again.
(d) Contact Saskia.
3. How does the young maiden die?
(a) She falls into a frozen lake.
(b) She bumps her head on a table.
(c) In childbirth.
(d) She is attacked by a bear.
4. When Saskia's father awakens in Chapter 6, what does he believe has happened to him?
(a) He has been the victim of a bad joke.
(b) He has been drugged.
(c) He has had an epiphany.
(d) He has been robbed.
5. Why does the tailor leave his new home at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) He learns that the father and son plan to take a trip without him.
(b) He finds that the pub life is not for him.
(c) He finds that the vagrants have stolen from him.
(d) He realizes that he does not believe in God.
6. What does Saskia promise to do in Chapter 12?
(a) Save up money.
(b) Welcome the tailor into her life.
(c) Gain her father's forgiveness.
(d) Make her father regret his actions.
7. Where does the tailor hope to find refuge in Chapter 8?
(a) A cave.
(b) His brother's home.
(c) A church.
(d) On a fishing ship.
8. Who does the young maiden's father want her to marry?
(a) The carpenter.
(b) The baker.
(c) The miller.
(d) The Reverend.
9. What does the tailor want Elke to trade his spinning wheel for in Chapter 11?
(a) Saskia's spinning wheel.
(b) A new bed.
(d) A brace for his leg.
10. How regularly does Elke visit the tailor in Chapter 11?
(c) Every day.
11. How is Elke described?
(a) As deformed and wretched.
(b) As beautiful and graceful.
(c) As kind and generous.
(d) As plain and middle-aged.
12. What does Saskia's father take away from her in Chapter 12?
(a) A book.
(c) Her mother's wheel.
(d) Her favorite necklace.
13. What does the young maiden tell the tailor at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Her father has accepted him as his son-in-law.
(b) She wants to run away with him.
(c) She cannot wait for his leg to be straight again.
(d) She wants him to burn off the tattoo.
14. What does the tailor set out to prove to the young maiden's father in Chapter 1?
(a) That he loves the young maiden.
(b) That he is wealthy.
(c) That he is the strongest man in the village.
(d) That he can provide for the young maiden.
15. What does the young maiden try to do to the tailor's leg at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Massage it.
(b) Cut it off.
(c) Stitch it up.
(d) Hide it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does she plan to do to fulfill her promise to herself in Chapter 12?
2. What does the tailor request of the passersby?
3. Who does the tailor ask many questions to in Chapter 13?
4. What is Saskia unable to resist doing in Chapter 12?
5. What job does Elke give the tailor?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)