|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Saskia react when her father takes something away from her in Chapter 12?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She runs away momentarily.
(c) She cries violently.
(d) She does not seem to care.
2. Why does Saskia have to sell these things in Chapter 6?
(a) So the items do not spoil.
(b) To survive.
(c) As a favor to her neighbor.
(d) To make money to buy a new dress.
3. What is the young maiden's father's concern in Chapter 1?
(a) That the young maiden will run away.
(b) That he will lose his business.
(c) That the crops will spoil.
(d) That the tailor cannot provide the life he wants for his daughter.
4. What does Saskia's father take away from her in Chapter 12?
(a) A book.
(c) Her mother's wheel.
(d) Her favorite necklace.
5. What does the tailor want Elke to trade his spinning wheel for in Chapter 11?
(b) A brace for his leg.
(c) A new bed.
(d) Saskia's spinning wheel.
6. Where does the young maiden live in Chapter 4?
(a) On a boat.
(b) At the mill.
(c) In a small cottage.
(d) In a mansion.
7. Who is Dagmar?
(a) Saskia's friend.
(b) Saskia's neighbor.
(c) Saskia's stepmother.
(d) Saskia's sister.
8. What does the tailor agree to give to the passersby?
(a) Food and money.
(b) His spinning wheel.
(c) Custom-made clothing.
(d) His gold watch.
9. What does the tailor vow to the young woman in Chapter 4?
(a) His continuing love.
(b) To marry a better woman.
(c) To win her over in the end.
(d) To avenge her betrayal.
10. When does Saskia plan on fulfilling her promise to herself at the end of Chapter 12?
(b) Before her father dies.
(c) As quickly as possible.
(d) Within the next month sometime.
11. What does the tailor buy from the farmer in Chapter 1?
12. How does Saskia accidentally cut her father's cheek?
(a) By shoving the cat in his face.
(b) By handing him scissors absentmindedly.
(c) By shaving his beard.
(d) By trying to make his haircut even.
13. Who comes across the tailor in Chapter 7?
(a) A barmaid and a drunk.
(b) A pair of vagrants.
(c) Some priests.
(d) A poor farmer and his son.
14. Why does Elke bring this object to the tailor in Chapter 11?
(a) She wants to share some of her favorite things with him.
(b) He often complains of being cold.
(c) He could use new supplies.
(d) She thinks he would enjoy its beauty.
15. What does Saskia discuss with her friend in Chapter 5?
(a) The idea that if her father shaved he could attract a new wife.
(b) That her uncle is greedy and spiteful.
(c) That her brother is a prude and she dislikes him.
(d) That her grandfather is very religious and will never allow her to marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elke work for?
2. What does she plan to do to fulfill her promise to herself in Chapter 12?
3. What does Elke bring to the tailor in Chapter 11?
4. How regularly does Elke visit the tailor in Chapter 11?
5. What happens as the young maiden tries to help the tailor's leg in Chapter 3?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)