|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does E.D. try to convince Lomax?
2. When Tyler asks Diane if she believes what the Jordan cult teaches, what does she reply?
3. Where does Tyler go after taking Wu to the Grand Canyon?
4. What makes Tyler get nauseous as he views Diane's wounds?
5. What does Diane's new sect consider Wun?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tyler do and how does he feel when men burn down Ina's clinic?
2. What does Simon tell Tyler about Diane when Tyler arrives at Condon's ranch?
3. What does Molly say when Tyler confronts her?
4. What is in the envelope Tyler received after from Jason after he died? Why did Jason leave him the envelope?
5. What happens in the summer with the sky and why does Simon call Tyler? How does Tyler respond?
6. What does Tyler wonder about Diane and how does she respond?
7. What does Wun tell Tyler about a possible cure for Jason?
8. Why is Jason dying?
9. How is Jason's health, what does he ask Tyler to do and how does Tyler respond?
10. What does Jason report to Tyler about the replicators a few years after they were launched?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The term "teraforming" is quite common in the genre of science fiction, including Spin. Discuss the following:
What is a general definition for teraforming as found in your research? Does the definition fit the way teraforming is used in Spin?
How does teraforming appear in Spin? Explain giving examples.
Does the concept of teraforming seem far fetched in "real" life? Why or why not?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of teraforming?
Is there any possibility that Earth was actually teraformed by advanced beings? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Religious cults exist in this story and in "real" life. Discuss one of the following:
How does the appearance of Spin affect conventional and non-conventional religious institutions?
Is joining a religious cult a healthy or unhealthy way of dealing with Spin? Explain fully with examples.
Compare and contrast how a cult in this story is similar to a cult that has existed in "real" life.
Essay Topic 3
When Spin first appears, the Chinese decide to "nuke" the structures at the two poles which seem to hold the membrane in place. Discuss the following:
Often, when something is not understood, it is attacked. There are other examples of this throughout Spin. Give some examples and analyze those examples to explain why you think the people behave as they do in Spin.
Enumerate and analyze examples of how the principle of attacking that which we do not understand happens in the "real" world.
Create a different model for dealing with that which is new and alien to a culture or one's individual way of life. Show how you might use your plan in specific instances in the book and/or "real" life.
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)