|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tyler discuss with Diane on the phone?
2. What helps Tyler procure what they need?
3. What is the biggest problem since the end of Spin?
4. What does Tyler do?
5. What is fast approaching?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is in the envelope Tyler received after from Jason after he died? Why did Jason leave him the envelope?
2. What does Jason tell Tyler about the Martian ambassador, conditions on Mars and why he was sent?
3. As Tyler, Diane and others are waiting to leave what happens?
4. What happens when Tyler rides along with Wun in a convoy that takes them to Perihelion?
5. What happens in the summer with the sky and why does Simon call Tyler? How does Tyler respond?
6. Where do Diane and Tyler go at the end of the book? What was the ultimate purpose of the Spin membrane?
7. What happens shortly after the Spin membrane is gone?
8. What does Tyler do and how does he feel when men burn down Ina's clinic?
9. What does Jason report to Tyler about the replicators a few years after they were launched?
10. How is Jason's health, what does he ask Tyler to do and how does Tyler respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The emotion of fear motivates numerous characters in various ways. Discuss the following:
How does fear inform the actions of the population at large when Spin first occurs? When Spin disappears?
How does fear engender fanaticism?
Choose one character in which fear is the main motivating factor and discuss how this character might behave differently were s/he not driven by fear.
Essay Topic 2
The chapter titled "No Single Thing Abides" suggests both a major theme in the book and perhaps in "real" life. Discuss one of the following:
Is anything absolute in Spin? In life? Explain fully with examples.
The events in Spin suggests that all is transitory, a theme that has been expounded by numerous religious groups both in Spin and the real world. Do you think the essence of nature is that all things pass away eventually? Why or why not?
How could the perspective that all is transitory impact your life if it is true? How could it change the way you respond to both tragedy and good luck? Explain fully with examples.
Essay Topic 3
Once some scientists begin to understand the properties of Spin, it is evident that time flows differently inside versus outside of the Spin membrane. Discuss the following:
Compare the properties of time between the inside and outside of Spin.
From the perspective of time, what are the advantages of living inside Spin? The disadvantages?
From the perspective of time, what are the advantages of living outside Spin? The disadvantages.
What do you think it says about the nature of time in that it seems to flow differently inside of Spin versus on the outside?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)