|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Diane living?
2. What is the Jordan Tabernacle?
3. Why does Jason retreat to his rooms for months?
4. What does Tyler want Jason to do?
5. Where does Tyler have to move if he accepts the offer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Jason is right to conceal his disease from his father who is the CEO of Perihelion?
2. Why do you think most of the Lawtons converge on Washington, D.C. to be witho Belinda, who has suffered a severe stroke and is not expected to live?
3. What does Jason reveal about Perihelion's plans for Mars and why might this be significant?
4. Why do you think many people, not just in this novel, but in real life, tend to turn to religion in a severe crisis?
5. What is the implication of a world where time moves much more slowly compared to the rest of the Universe?
6. What might be a possible reason that the end of the story is given at the beginning of the novel?
7. Why did the NK religion end?
8. What is one theme that first appears in this chapter?
9. Why does E. D. know about the attributes of Spin and why does he reveal this information to Jason?
10. How does the general population respond to Spin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
E. D. tells Jason that information is generally valuable in the hands of those who can use it. Discuss the following:
Analyze and explain fully what you think E. D. believes about information.
How does access to information give E. D. and others of his ilk power? Give examples.
Compare a character who abuses the acquisition of information to one who uses it for the benefit of human kind.
Does what is discussed in this story about information have any validity in our own world? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important element of most stories. Discuss one of the following:
Compare and contrast Jason to Tyler.
Compare and contrast Jason to Diane.
Compare and contrast Jason to E. D.
Essay Topic 3
Jason, Tyler and Diane are in their early teens when Spin first appears around the Earth. Discuss one of the following:
How does Jason deal with Spin when it first occurs and as an adult? Is his response mentally healthy? Courageous? Emotional, intellectual or both? Explain with examples.
How does Tyler deal with Spin when it first occurs and as an adult? Is his response mentally healthy? Courageous? Emotional, intellectual or both? Explain with examples.
How does Diane deal with Spin when it first occurs and as an adult? Is his response mentally healthy? Courageous? Emotional, intellectual or both? Explain with examples.
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)