|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Diane decide?
2. Why is NK created?
3. What does Jason ask of Tyler?
4. What happens when the seeds with which they teraform Mars are mature?
5. What is ecopoiesis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Simon is the person Diane seems to have chosen for her lover at this time in her life and yet Jason thinks Simon is the least possible good for Diane. What do you think Jason means by this?
2. Why does Tyler decide to write the story of him and his friends?
3. What is the Chinese response to Spin and how would you interpret that?
4. What is the first "casualty" of the event that comes to be known as "Spin" and what is one consequence of this casualty?
5. Why does Jason hire Tyler to care for him?
6. Define the literary term flashback and give an example of its use in this novel.
7. How will ecopoiesis work on Mars?
8. Why did the NK religion end?
9. What might be a possible reason that the end of the story is given at the beginning of the novel?
10. What incident does Tyler recall and what theme does this incident reveal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The term "teraforming" is quite common in the genre of science fiction, including Spin. Discuss the following:
What is a general definition for teraforming as found in your research? Does the definition fit the way teraforming is used in Spin?
How does teraforming appear in Spin? Explain giving examples.
Does the concept of teraforming seem far fetched in "real" life? Why or why not?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of teraforming?
Is there any possibility that Earth was actually teraformed by advanced beings? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Once some scientists begin to understand the properties of Spin, it is evident that time flows differently inside versus outside of the Spin membrane. Discuss the following:
Compare the properties of time between the inside and outside of Spin.
From the perspective of time, what are the advantages of living inside Spin? The disadvantages?
From the perspective of time, what are the advantages of living outside Spin? The disadvantages.
What do you think it says about the nature of time in that it seems to flow differently inside of Spin versus on the outside?
Essay Topic 3
E. D. tells Jason that information is generally valuable in the hands of those who can use it. Discuss the following:
Analyze and explain fully what you think E. D. believes about information.
How does access to information give E. D. and others of his ilk power? Give examples.
Compare a character who abuses the acquisition of information to one who uses it for the benefit of human kind.
Does what is discussed in this story about information have any validity in our own world? Explain.
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)