|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the middle-aged Navajo man that is sitting with Leaphorn and Louisa when Bernie and Chee arrive at the hospital in Chapter 21?
2. Dr. Davis tells Bernie and Chee that the vase on her desk holds whose ashes in Chapter 13?
3. Whose music has Dr. Davis left blaring in the room where she’s left Bernie and Chee tied up in Chapter 21?
4. Who does Chee recall having a map of the Navajo Nation with different crimes marked with different colored pushpins in Chapter 16?
5. What are referred to in Chapter 14 as “the legendary Navajo shape shifters who assumed various animal forms and roamed in the darkness looking for and causing trouble”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Captain Largo call Chee in the beginning of Chapter 16? Where does he tell Chee to go?
2. How does Agent Cordova open the FBI award ceremony meeting in Chapter 22?
3. When does Chee arrive home in Chapter 11? What does he give to Bernie when he comes home?
4. What do Bernie and Chee view at the museum while they are at AIRC?
5. What does Chee discover about the shooting victim in Chapter 16? How does this relate to the Leaphorn case?
6. How does Chee manage to find the name of EFB Appraisals’ owner and contact information in Chapter 13?
7. Why do Bernie and Chee visit Dr. Maxie Davis’s office in Chapter 13? What do they see there?
8. What clue leads Bernie to AIRC to look for Chee in Chapter 20? What does she find when she arrives?
9. How does Bernie manage to get into the museum to search for Chee in Chapter 20? What does she find there?
10. What “clue” does Joe Leaphorn relate to Bernie and Chee in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the settings of Fort Defiance and Toadlena. Where are these settings in relation to Shiprock and Window Rock? How populous is the area where Bernie’s mother lives? How does Bernie compare this area with her own neighborhood?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of tradition and culture in Spider Woman’s Daughter. How is tradition perceived by Bernie and Chee and others within the Navajo Nation? How does Darleen differ in her views of tradition and culture? In what ways do the traditions and cultures of the Navajos clash with those of the whites in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Darleen in the novel. How much younger is Darleen than her sister Bernie? How are Darleen and Bernie similar? How are they different? Why does Darleen’s behavior in the novel create tension in Bernie’s family?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)