|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term from Chapter 15 refers to a Basket Maker in the Pueblo culture of the plateau region of northern Arizona and New Mexico?
2. What title does Bernie call Leaphorn by as opposed to Lieutenant when she speaks to him at the hospital in Chapter 21?
3. What elevation does the narrator say Santa Fe, New Mexico is at in Chapter 13?
4. What word from Chapter 18 refers to a feeling of anticipation or anxiety over a future event?
5. What is the name of the man that nearly killed Eleanor Friedman-Bernal many years ago, according to the narrator in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Slim Jacobs tell Bernie about his meeting with Ellie in Chapter 15?
2. What do Bernie and her mother discuss during Bernie’s visit in Chapter 11?
3. What takes place when Bernie goes to Santa Fe to be hypnotized in Chapter 12?
4. What information does Bernie learn about Leonard Nez and Jackson Benally in Chapter 15?
5. How does Bernie manage to track down Chee and Dr. Davis at the storage facility in Chapter 20?
6. What does Chee learn from the hospital chaplain in Santa Fe in Chapter 18? How does Chee respond?
7. What information does Louisa relate to Chee when she sees him in the hospital in Chapter 18?
8. Why does Captain Largo call Chee in the beginning of Chapter 16? Where does he tell Chee to go?
9. What is the first clue leads to Chee’s discovery of Dr. Davis’s involvement in the crimes in Chapter 19?
10. What danger(s) do Bernie and Chee face in the climax of the novel? How are they overcome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Gloria Benally in the narrative. Where is Mrs. Benally when she is first introduced? How does Mrs. Benally interact with the police officers? Why is Mrs. Benally ruled out as a suspect in the shooting?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative style of Spider Woman’s Daughter. Is the story related from a first, second, or third-person narrator? Is the narrator involved in the action? Is the narrator’s perspective omniscient or limited? What effect does each of these choices have on the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of Santa Fe, New Mexico and examine the differences between Santa Fe, Window Rock, and Shiprock in the narrative. How often has Bernie been to Santa Fe? What are her perceptions of the city when she first goes there in Chapter 6? How do Bernie’s perceptions of the city change by the end of the novel?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)