|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man that nearly killed Eleanor Friedman-Bernal many years ago, according to the narrator in Chapter 16?
2. What is the name of the jeweler that Dr. Davis says made her bracelet in Chapter 19?
3. When does the AIRC security officer say that Dr. Davis reset the alarm and left when he and Bernie examine the museum in search of Chee in Chapter 20?
4. What traditional song do Chee and Bernie sing to Leaphorn in Chapter 21?
5. What word does the narrator use in Chapter 12 that means the place or source of origin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bernie manage to track down Chee and Dr. Davis at the storage facility in Chapter 20?
2. Why do Bernie and Chee visit Dr. Maxie Davis’s office in Chapter 13? What do they see there?
3. What information does Bernie learn about Leonard Nez and Jackson Benally in Chapter 15?
4. How is Leaphorn’s condition described in Chapter 12? What request does he make of Chee?
5. How does Dr. Davis describe Ellie’s motivations for undervaluing the Anasazi pots in Chapter 19?
6. What danger(s) do Bernie and Chee face in the climax of the novel? How are they overcome?
7. What family problems does Bernie face when she visits her mother in Chapter 17?
8. How does Agent Cordova open the FBI award ceremony meeting in Chapter 22?
9. What do Bernie and Chee view at the museum while they are at AIRC?
10. How does Slim Jacobs describe Ellie’s involvement with the vases that were sent to Japan in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Darleen in the novel. How much younger is Darleen than her sister Bernie? How are Darleen and Bernie similar? How are they different? Why does Darleen’s behavior in the novel create tension in Bernie’s family?
Essay Topic 2
Revenge in Spider Woman’s Daughter
a. Who are the different suspects in the shooting of Joe Leaphorn? What are the motives of each of these suspects?
b. Discuss Dr. Davis’s reasons for committing the crimes she commits in the novel. What are Dr. Davis’s motivations?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events of the shooting that occurs in Chapter 1. Where is Bernie in relation to Leaphorn and the shooter? How much time passes during the crime? What does Bernie do when the shooting occurs? Where does the shooter flee?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)