|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Bernie’s favorite teacher at the university she attended?
2. Who is awarded the Leaphorn Award of Valor in Chapter 22?
3. What does Bernie tell the AIRC museum receptionist is not working as she and Chee leave in Chapter 13?
4. Who is Chee’s uncle that he wishes could see the artifacts at the AIRC museum in Chapter 13?
5. Who does Slim Jacobs claim is a well known guy in the rodeo circuit in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Bernie learn about Leonard Nez and Jackson Benally in Chapter 15?
2. What danger(s) do Bernie and Chee face in the climax of the novel? How are they overcome?
3. What do Bernie and her mother discuss during Bernie’s visit in Chapter 11?
4. Why does Captain Largo call Chee in the beginning of Chapter 16? Where does he tell Chee to go?
5. What clue leads Bernie to AIRC to look for Chee in Chapter 20? What does she find when she arrives?
6. How does Bernie manage to track down Chee and Dr. Davis at the storage facility in Chapter 20?
7. How is Leaphorn’s condition described in Chapter 12? What request does he make of Chee?
8. Where do Bernie and Chee spend the night camping in Chapter 14? What potential crime do they learn about at this location?
9. What family problems does Bernie face when she visits her mother in Chapter 17?
10. How does Agent Cordova open the FBI award ceremony meeting in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Dr. John Collingsworth in the novel. How does Bernie first come to meet Dr. Collingsworth? How would you describe Dr. Collingsworth’s behavior during this meeting? What involvement does Dr. Collingsworth have in the shooting of Leaphorn?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Captain Largo in the novel. What is Bernie’s relationship like with her boss? How does Largo know Leaphorn? Why does Largo choose to take Bernie off the investigation into Leaphorn’s shooting?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of family in Spider Woman’s Daughter. How is this theme illustrated through Bernie’s mother and sister? What relationship does Chee have with his family? How is “family” related to “clan” within the Navajo Nation?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)