|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What elevation does the narrator say Santa Fe, New Mexico is at in Chapter 13?
2. What mountain does the narrator describe in Chapter 15 as resembling a reclining man in a feather headdress or a busty woman?
3. What word does the narrator use in Chapter 12 that means the place or source of origin?
4. What does Bernie tell Louisa she lost from her car when she returns her keys in Chapter 21?
5. What agreement does Bernie tell her sister that they made in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Bernie and Chee visit Dr. Maxie Davis’s office in Chapter 13? What do they see there?
2. What information does Bernie learn about Leonard Nez and Jackson Benally in Chapter 15?
3. How is Leaphorn’s condition described in Chapter 12? What request does he make of Chee?
4. How does Chee manage to find the name of EFB Appraisals’ owner and contact information in Chapter 13?
5. What clue leads Bernie to AIRC to look for Chee in Chapter 20? What does she find when she arrives?
6. What information does Louisa relate to Chee when she sees him in the hospital in Chapter 18?
7. What is the first clue leads to Chee’s discovery of Dr. Davis’s involvement in the crimes in Chapter 19?
8. How does Bernie manage to get into the museum to search for Chee in Chapter 20? What does she find there?
9. Why does Captain Largo call Chee in the beginning of Chapter 16? Where does he tell Chee to go?
10. What does Chee learn from the hospital chaplain in Santa Fe in Chapter 18? How does Chee respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Gloria Benally in the narrative. Where is Mrs. Benally when she is first introduced? How does Mrs. Benally interact with the police officers? Why is Mrs. Benally ruled out as a suspect in the shooting?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the hypnosis of Bernie in Chapter 12. Who comes to hypnotize Bernie? How is this character described? What questions are asked of Bernie? What new memory does Bernie recall during the hypnosis? How does this help the investigation?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Window Rock, Arizona and its relation to the greater Navajo Nation. How large is the city of Window Rock? How large is the Navajo Nation? How does the narrator describe the setting of Window Rock in the novel?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)