|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bernie returns home from her morning run in Chapter 10, she’s received a voice message from a man who rents a house from whom?
2. When Chee talks to Bernie on the phone in Chapter 10, he tells her that Darleen had called the previous day frantic because she believed what had happened?
3. What word in Chapter 6 refers to freedom from the endless cycle of personal reincarnations and suffering in Hinduism?
4. What does Bernie cook for her mother when she visits in Chapter 4?
5. What color car pulls up next to Joe Leaphorn before he is shot in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Garrison Tsosie relate to Chee when he is questioned in Chapter 10?
2. What is an example of foreshadowing that takes place in Chapter 6? What does it foretell?
3. Why does Chee stop at Earl’s Restaurant in Chapter 10? What does Chee do there?
4. Why do Chee and Bernie go to Bashas’ grocery store in Chapter 3? What do they discover when they arrive?
5. How do Jackson Benally’s story and alibi change during his interrogation in Chapter 8?
6. What information does Bernie learn from the office manager at the police station in Chapter 7?
7. Where is Chee going in the beginning of Chapter 6? Why? What does he remark about their leads before he leaves?
8. How does Bernie come to witness the crime that takes place in Chapter 1? What does she witness?
9. What is Jackson Benally’s final alibi that he gives during his interrogation in Chapter 8?
10. What information about Leaphorn does Bernie relate to the FBI agent that arrives on the crime scene in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Officer Jim Chee in the novel. For how long have Chee and Bernie been married? How would you describe their relationship? What characteristics does Chee exhibit throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Gloria Benally in the narrative. Where is Mrs. Benally when she is first introduced? How does Mrs. Benally interact with the police officers? Why is Mrs. Benally ruled out as a suspect in the shooting?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Captain Largo in the novel. What is Bernie’s relationship like with her boss? How does Largo know Leaphorn? Why does Largo choose to take Bernie off the investigation into Leaphorn’s shooting?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)