|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 6, Chee receives a call to come in early to the office because they’ve received what report?
2. What is the name of the woman that Joe Leaphorn lives with?
3. At what elevation is Shiprock, New Mexico said to be at in Chapter 5?
4. What does the narrator say Bernie’s Navajo name is in Chapter 2?
5. What hotel does Louisa say she’s staying at during the conference in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jackson Benally’s story and alibi change during his interrogation in Chapter 8?
2. What inner conflict does Bernie face in the beginning of Chapter 7? How is it resolved?
3. What is the last action on the case that Largo asks of Bernie in Chapter 2?
4. What is Jackson Benally’s final alibi that he gives during his interrogation in Chapter 8?
5. What information about Leaphorn does Bernie relate to the FBI agent that arrives on the crime scene in Chapter 1?
6. What reference to the novel’s title appears in Chapter 4? How is “Spider Woman” described?
7. What information does Garrison Tsosie relate to Chee when he is questioned in Chapter 10?
8. What information does Chee learn from Mrs. Tsosie in Chapter 10?
9. What does Bernie learn from Joe Leaphorn’s neurologist in Chapter 6?
10. Why does Captain Largo tell Bernie to take a few days off work in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Jackson Benally and his interrogation in Chapter 8. Where does Jackson first say he was during the crime? How does his story change? Do any of Jackson’s alibis stand up for him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of tradition and culture in Spider Woman’s Daughter. How is tradition perceived by Bernie and Chee and others within the Navajo Nation? How does Darleen differ in her views of tradition and culture? In what ways do the traditions and cultures of the Navajos clash with those of the whites in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Window Rock, Arizona and its relation to the greater Navajo Nation. How large is the city of Window Rock? How large is the Navajo Nation? How does the narrator describe the setting of Window Rock in the novel?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)