|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the office manager from the Shiprock station calls Bernie back in Chapter 7, the address that she’s found for the “AL” listing is a residence in what city?
2. At what elevation is Shiprock, New Mexico said to be at in Chapter 5?
3. How old does the car’s owner at the grocery store parking lot say her son is in Chapter 3?
4. Where does Officer Bernie say the suspect who shot Joe Leaphorn went after the shooting in Chapter 1?
5. What magazine does Bernie get at the convenience store to take to her mother in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Bernie learn from the office manager at the police station in Chapter 7?
2. Who is Mrs. Benally’s son? Who does Mrs. Benally say her son was with on Monday morning in Chapter 3?
3. What is the setting of Chapter 1? Who is in attendance at the meeting that takes place in this chapter?
4. What inner conflict does Bernie face in the beginning of Chapter 7? How is it resolved?
5. To what different locations does Officer Chee go in order to track down Garrison Tsosie in Chapter 10?
6. Why does Chee stop at Earl’s Restaurant in Chapter 10? What does Chee do there?
7. What does Bernie learn from Joe Leaphorn’s neurologist in Chapter 6?
8. How does Bernie come to witness the crime that takes place in Chapter 1? What does she witness?
9. Why do Chee and Bernie go to Bashas’ grocery store in Chapter 3? What do they discover when they arrive?
10. How are the contents of Leaphorn’s journal described in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Revenge in Spider Woman’s Daughter
a. Who are the different suspects in the shooting of Joe Leaphorn? What are the motives of each of these suspects?
b. Discuss Dr. Davis’s reasons for committing the crimes she commits in the novel. What are Dr. Davis’s motivations?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of Santa Fe, New Mexico and examine the differences between Santa Fe, Window Rock, and Shiprock in the narrative. How often has Bernie been to Santa Fe? What are her perceptions of the city when she first goes there in Chapter 6? How do Bernie’s perceptions of the city change by the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Darleen in the novel. How much younger is Darleen than her sister Bernie? How are Darleen and Bernie similar? How are they different? Why does Darleen’s behavior in the novel create tension in Bernie’s family?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)