|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the neurologist that is running tests on Joe Leaphorn when Bernie arrives at the hospital in Chapter 6?
2. Where does Chee say Leaphorn has been transferred to a different hospital when he calls her at her mother’s house in Chapter 4?
3. At what elevation is Shiprock, New Mexico said to be at in Chapter 5?
4. Who interrogates Jackson Banally in Chapter 8?
5. What is Leonard Nez’s nickname in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information about Leaphorn does Bernie relate to the FBI agent that arrives on the crime scene in Chapter 1?
2. What new lead does Chee tell Bernie about in Chapter 9? How is the suspect tied to Leaphorn?
3. To what different locations does Officer Chee go in order to track down Garrison Tsosie in Chapter 10?
4. What reference to the novel’s title appears in Chapter 4? How is “Spider Woman” described?
5. What is an example of foreshadowing that takes place in Chapter 6? What does it foretell?
6. Why does Bernie go to Leaphorn’s home in Chapter 4? Who does she discover there?
7. What do Bernie and Chee make of the phone call from Louisa in Chapter 5?
8. What information does Bernie learn from the office manager at the police station in Chapter 7?
9. What does Mrs. Benally tell Bernie about her use of the car in Chapter 3?
10. Why do Chee and Bernie go to Bashas’ grocery store in Chapter 3? What do they discover when they arrive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the settings of Fort Defiance and Toadlena. Where are these settings in relation to Shiprock and Window Rock? How populous is the area where Bernie’s mother lives? How does Bernie compare this area with her own neighborhood?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Captain Largo in the novel. What is Bernie’s relationship like with her boss? How does Largo know Leaphorn? Why does Largo choose to take Bernie off the investigation into Leaphorn’s shooting?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Window Rock, Arizona and its relation to the greater Navajo Nation. How large is the city of Window Rock? How large is the Navajo Nation? How does the narrator describe the setting of Window Rock in the novel?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)