|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chee talks to Bernie on the phone in Chapter 10, he tells her that Darleen had called the previous day frantic because she believed what had happened?
2. Who is described in Joe Leaphorn’s case files as having “killed a Utah rancher, and almost killed a woman he worked with” before disappearing, in Chapter 5?
3. Where does the waiter at the café tell Bernie the nearest post office is located in Chapter 7?
4. Where does Chee say they’ve helicoptered Leaphorn to a bigger hospital in Chapter 2?
5. Who does Chee say found Leaphorn’s cat in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Bernie learn from the office manager at the police station in Chapter 7?
2. What does Louisa say to Bernie and Chee when she calls in Chapter 5?
3. What does Mrs. Benally tell Bernie about her use of the car in Chapter 3?
4. Where is Chee going in the beginning of Chapter 6? Why? What does he remark about their leads before he leaves?
5. How are the contents of Leaphorn’s journal described in Chapter 7?
6. Why do Chee and Bernie go to Bashas’ grocery store in Chapter 3? What do they discover when they arrive?
7. What is an example of foreshadowing that takes place in Chapter 6? What does it foretell?
8. Why does Captain Largo tell Bernie to take a few days off work in Chapter 2?
9. What information does Garrison Tsosie relate to Chee when he is questioned in Chapter 10?
10. What do Bernie and Chee make of the phone call from Louisa in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bernie and Chee’s thoughts on Louisa’s phone call in Chapter 5. Why do Bernie and Chee believe that Louisa is not responsible for the shooting of Leaphorn? What clues indicate otherwise? How does Louisa’s character evolve through the suspects’ list in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings of Fort Defiance and Toadlena. Where are these settings in relation to Shiprock and Window Rock? How populous is the area where Bernie’s mother lives? How does Bernie compare this area with her own neighborhood?
Essay Topic 3
Revenge in Spider Woman’s Daughter
a. Who are the different suspects in the shooting of Joe Leaphorn? What are the motives of each of these suspects?
b. Discuss Dr. Davis’s reasons for committing the crimes she commits in the novel. What are Dr. Davis’s motivations?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)