|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What message from Agent Cordova does the nurse at the hospital relay to Chee and Bernie when they arrive in Chapter 21?
(a) “She’s been killed.”
(b) “She got away.”
(c) “We’re on the hunt.”
(d) “We got her.”
2. What word from Chapter 15 refers to a small steep-sided watercourse or gulch with a nearly flat floor?
3. What woman from Boston did Hosteen Klah and Franc Newcomb collaborate with in creating healing paintings?
(a) Eleanor Friedman-Bernal.
(b) Mary Cabot Wheelwright.
(c) Stella Darkwater.
(d) Louisa Bourbonette.
4. What does Bernie discover next to Chee’s cell phone on the floor of the museum in Chapter 20?
(a) Spots of blood.
(b) A key ring.
(c) His wedding ring.
(d) A silver bracelet.
5. Bernie’s mother shows her one of her rugs in an auction magazine and compares the opening bidding on the rug as enough money to buy what, in Chapter 17?
(a) A television.
(b) A house.
(c) A refrigerator.
(d) A car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does the narrator use in Chapter 12 that means the place or source of origin?
2. What is the name of the hospital chaplain at the Santa Fe hospital where Leaphorn is being treated in Chapter 18?
3. Who was Bernie’s favorite teacher at the university she attended?
4. What word from Chapter 18 refers to a feeling of anticipation or anxiety over a future event?
5. Who is the San Juan County deputy that Chee encounters at the murder site in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Bernie and Chee spend the night camping in Chapter 14? What potential crime do they learn about at this location?
2. What do Bernie and Chee learn from the secretary at AIRC when they arrive in Chapter 13?
3. What “clue” does Joe Leaphorn relate to Bernie and Chee in Chapter 18?
4. What clue leads Bernie to AIRC to look for Chee in Chapter 20? What does she find when she arrives?
5. What takes place when Bernie goes to Santa Fe to be hypnotized in Chapter 12?
6. Why do Bernie and Chee visit Dr. Maxie Davis’s office in Chapter 13? What do they see there?
7. What does Chee learn from the hospital chaplain in Santa Fe in Chapter 18? How does Chee respond?
8. Why does Captain Largo call Chee in the beginning of Chapter 16? Where does he tell Chee to go?
9. How is Leaphorn’s condition described in Chapter 12? What request does he make of Chee?
10. What family problems does Bernie face when she visits her mother in Chapter 17?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)