|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the FBI’s award ceremony held in Chapter 22?
(a) El Bruno’s.
(b) The Navajo Inn.
(c) The Shiprock station.
(d) Huerfano Mesa.
2. What ceremony had Chee performed in the helicopter after Ellie was saved in the case that happened ten years ago, according to the narrator in Chapter 16?
(a) A Blessed Way ceremony.
(b) A Rising Bird ceremony.
(c) A Letting Go ceremony.
(d) A Fallen Rock ceremony.
3. In the beginning of Chapter 15, Bernie tells Chee that Largo called him and asked him to go where to talk to Mrs. Benally?
(b) Window Rock.
(c) Huerfano Mesa.
4. Whom does Bernie find sitting in Leaphorn’s hospital room when he returns in the morning to leave in Chapter 18?
(a) Louisa Bourbonette.
(b) Dr. Moxsley.
(c) Officer Morris.
(d) Dr. John Collingsworth.
5. Who is the woman next to Ellie in the photograph that Slim shows Bernie in Chapter 15?
(a) Mrs. Benally.
(b) Dr. Maxie Davis.
(c) Stella Darkwater.
(d) Louisa Bourbonette.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to worsen Lieutenant Leaphorn’s condition in Chapter 18?
2. What is the photograph of that accompanies Chee’s message to Bernie that says “Guess where I am” in Chapter 20?
3. What symbol does Leaphorn draw after Chee tells him that Bernie found the woman that shot him in Chapter 21?
4. What are referred to in Chapter 14 as “the legendary Navajo shape shifters who assumed various animal forms and roamed in the darkness looking for and causing trouble”?
5. What does Bernie tell Louisa she lost from her car when she returns her keys in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chee discover about the shooting victim in Chapter 16? How does this relate to the Leaphorn case?
2. When does Chee arrive home in Chapter 11? What does he give to Bernie when he comes home?
3. How is Leaphorn’s condition described in Chapter 12? What request does he make of Chee?
4. Why do Bernie and Chee visit Dr. Maxie Davis’s office in Chapter 13? What do they see there?
5. How does Bernie manage to track down Chee and Dr. Davis at the storage facility in Chapter 20?
6. What danger(s) do Bernie and Chee face in the climax of the novel? How are they overcome?
7. What “clue” does Joe Leaphorn relate to Bernie and Chee in Chapter 18?
8. What family problems does Bernie face when she visits her mother in Chapter 17?
9. What information does Bernie learn about Leonard Nez and Jackson Benally in Chapter 15?
10. How is Leaphorn’s missing AIRC report described in Chapter 12?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)