|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word does the narrator use in Chapter 12 that means the place or source of origin?
2. What kind of pattern is described on the vase that Ellie is holding in the photograph that Slim shows Bernie in Chapter 15?
(a) A triangular pattern.
(b) A rectangular pattern.
(c) A circular pattern.
(d) A zigzag pattern.
3. What has happened to worsen Lieutenant Leaphorn’s condition in Chapter 18?
(a) He has developed pneumonia.
(b) He has developed a staph infection.
(c) He has lost the ability to see.
(d) He has developed epilepsy.
4. What does Dr. Davis reveal about the Anasazi pots that were sent to Japan in Chapter 19?
(a) They were fakes made by Ellie.
(b) They were authentic.
(c) They were filled with smuggled drugs.
(d) They were stolen.
5. Who is the middle-aged Navajo man that is sitting with Leaphorn and Louisa when Bernie and Chee arrive at the hospital in Chapter 21?
(a) Charley Zah.
(b) Rocko Delbert.
(c) Randall Elliot.
(d) Austin Lee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term from Chapter 15 refers to a Basket Maker in the Pueblo culture of the plateau region of northern Arizona and New Mexico?
2. What mountain does the narrator describe in Chapter 15 as resembling a reclining man in a feather headdress or a busty woman?
3. Who does Slim Jacobs claim is a well known guy in the rodeo circuit in Chapter 15?
4. As Chee prepares to perform the ceremony for Leaphorn at the hospital in Chapter 18, he calls the daughter of a singer who lived near what community?
5. Dr. Davis tells Bernie and Chee that the vase on her desk holds whose ashes in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Bernie and Chee learn from the secretary at AIRC when they arrive in Chapter 13?
2. What danger(s) do Bernie and Chee face in the climax of the novel? How are they overcome?
3. What takes place when Bernie goes to Santa Fe to be hypnotized in Chapter 12?
4. What information does Louisa relate to Chee when she sees him in the hospital in Chapter 18?
5. What does Chee discover about the shooting victim in Chapter 16? How does this relate to the Leaphorn case?
6. What does Slim Jacobs tell Bernie about his meeting with Ellie in Chapter 15?
7. What discrepancy is discovered regarding Leaphorn’s reports in Chapter 13?
8. What do Bernie and her mother discuss during Bernie’s visit in Chapter 11?
9. What clue leads Bernie to AIRC to look for Chee in Chapter 20? What does she find when she arrives?
10. What family problems does Bernie face when she visits her mother in Chapter 17?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)