|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the woman that the suspicious car belongs to at the grocery store in Chapter 3?
(a) Eleanor Friedman-Bernal.
(b) Gloria Benally.
(c) Dr. Maxie Davis.
(d) Louisa Bourbonette.
2. Who is described in Joe Leaphorn’s case files as having “killed a Utah rancher, and almost killed a woman he worked with” before disappearing, in Chapter 5?
(a) Leonard Nez.
(b) Randall Elliot.
(d) Charley Zah.
3. What does Mrs. Tsosie say her son Garrison’s girlfriend’s name is in Chapter 10?
4. What was the name of Joe Leaphorn’s wife that died ten years ago, according to Bernie in Chapter 1?
5. What does Bernie surmise “WR” stands for in Leaphorn’s cryptic journal in Chapter 7?
(a) Wind River.
(b) Warner Rodeo.
(c) Water Race.
(d) Window Rock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say Bernie’s Navajo name is in Chapter 2?
2. Where does Chee say they’ve helicoptered Leaphorn to a bigger hospital in Chapter 2?
3. How far will Bernie be driving to visit Joe Leaphorn (each way) at the hospital in Chapter 5?
4. Where does Louisa say she’s going for a conference in Chapter 5?
5. Where did Officer Bernie drive from for the Monday meeting in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Garrison Tsosie relate to Chee when he is questioned in Chapter 10?
2. How does Bernie come to witness the crime that takes place in Chapter 1? What does she witness?
3. What does Mrs. Benally tell Bernie about her use of the car in Chapter 3?
4. What information does Bernie learn from the office manager at the police station in Chapter 7?
5. What is Jackson Benally’s final alibi that he gives during his interrogation in Chapter 8?
6. What inner conflict does Bernie face in the beginning of Chapter 7? How is it resolved?
7. What does Bernie find when she arrives at Joe Leaphorn’s home in Chapter 2?
8. What does Agent Cordova relate when he calls Bernie in Chapter 9? How does Chee respond?
9. What do Bernie and Chee make of the phone call from Louisa in Chapter 5?
10. Why does Chee stop at Earl’s Restaurant in Chapter 10? What does Chee do there?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)