|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Officer Bernie say the suspect who shot Joe Leaphorn went after the shooting in Chapter 1?
(a) South on 143.
(b) East on 180.
(c) North on 666.
(d) West on 264.
2. What does Bernie surmise “WR” stands for in Leaphorn’s cryptic journal in Chapter 7?
(a) Water Race.
(b) Wind River.
(c) Window Rock.
(d) Warner Rodeo.
3. Where does Louisa say she’s going for a conference in Chapter 5?
(a) Memphis, Tennessee.
(b) Dallas, Texas.
(c) Little Rock, Arkansas.
(d) Houston, Texas.
4. Where does Louisa tell Chee and Bernie she’s calling from in Chapter 5?
(a) Santa Fe.
5. Where does Mrs. Tsosie say her son Garrison is now living with his girlfriend in Chapter 10?
(a) Santa Fe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Leonard Nez’s nickname in the novel?
2. What term in Chapter 3 is the Navajo name for white people?
3. Where does Agent Cordova ask Bernie to have a meeting with him tomorrow when he calls in Chapter 9?
4. When the office manager from the Shiprock station calls Bernie back in Chapter 7, the address that she’s found for the “AL” listing is a residence in what city?
5. Who is the grounds-man that greets Bernie in a traditional Navajo greeting at AIRC in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bernie come to witness the crime that takes place in Chapter 1? What does she witness?
2. What information does Chee learn from Mrs. Tsosie in Chapter 10?
3. How do Jackson Benally’s story and alibi change during his interrogation in Chapter 8?
4. Who is Mrs. Benally’s son? Who does Mrs. Benally say her son was with on Monday morning in Chapter 3?
5. What information does Bernie learn from the office manager at the police station in Chapter 7?
6. How does Dr. Collingsworth respond to the contents of the envelope that Bernie delivers to him in Chapter 7?
7. What does Louisa say to Bernie and Chee when she calls in Chapter 5?
8. What is Jackson Benally’s final alibi that he gives during his interrogation in Chapter 8?
9. What is the setting of Chapter 1? Who is in attendance at the meeting that takes place in this chapter?
10. Why do Chee and Bernie go to Bashas’ grocery store in Chapter 3? What do they discover when they arrive?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)