|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is the brown envelope addressed at AIRC in Chapter 7?
(a) Rocko Delbert.
(b) Eleanor Friedman-Bernal.
(c) Dr. John Collingsworth.
(d) Dr. Maxie Davis.
2. How far will Bernie be driving to visit Joe Leaphorn (each way) at the hospital in Chapter 5?
(a) 1 hour.
(b) 2 hours.
(c) 4 hours.
(d) 5 hours.
3. Agent Cordova calls Bernie in Chapter 9 to set up a meeting with her and whom?
(a) Leonard Nez.
(b) A lie detector tech.
(c) Officer Wheeler.
(d) A hypnotist.
4. What is said to be Bernie’s college alma mater in Chapter 3?
(a) University of Arizona.
(b) University of Colorado.
(c) Rutgers University.
(d) University of New Mexico.
5. How far does the narrator say Albuquerque is from Santa Fe in Chapter 5?
(a) A half-hour drive.
(b) A 4-hour drive.
(c) An hour drive.
(d) A 2-hour drive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Darleen say she found her mother when she calls Chee back in Chapter 6?
2. Where does Bernie’s mother live in the novel?
3. What word from Chapter 4 is the Navajo word referring to traditional healers and doctors?
4. What does Bernie surmise “WR” stands for in Leaphorn’s cryptic journal in Chapter 7?
5. What is the name of the neurologist that is running tests on Joe Leaphorn when Bernie arrives at the hospital in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bernie come to witness the crime that takes place in Chapter 1? What does she witness?
2. What does Bernie discover when she arrives at her mother’s house in Chapter 4?
3. Why do Chee and Bernie go to Bashas’ grocery store in Chapter 3? What do they discover when they arrive?
4. How do Jackson Benally’s story and alibi change during his interrogation in Chapter 8?
5. What does Bernie learn from Joe Leaphorn’s neurologist in Chapter 6?
6. What information does Garrison Tsosie relate to Chee when he is questioned in Chapter 10?
7. How are the contents of Leaphorn’s journal described in Chapter 7?
8. What information does Chee learn from Mrs. Tsosie in Chapter 10?
9. Why does Chee stop at Earl’s Restaurant in Chapter 10? What does Chee do there?
10. What does Louisa say to Bernie and Chee when she calls in Chapter 5?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)