|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Chee talks to Bernie on the phone in Chapter 10, he tells her that Darleen had called the previous day frantic because she believed what had happened?
(a) Her boyfriend had been shot.
(b) Her mother had been kidnapped.
(c) Her son had been kidnapped.
(d) Her car had been stolen.
2. What is the name of Officer Bernie’s husband?
(a) Slim Jacobs.
(b) Jim Chee.
(c) Jackson Benally.
(d) Leonard Nez.
3. What officer does Bernie encounter at the convenience store she stops at on her way to her mother’s in Chapter 10?
(a) Officer Bigman.
(b) Officer Morris.
(c) Officer Wheeler.
(d) Officer Chee.
4. What does the narrator say Bernie’s Navajo name is in Chapter 2?
(a) Spider’s Daughter.
(b) Laughing Girl.
(c) Spider Woman.
(d) Coyote Child.
5. Bernie tells the individual from AIRC that some of the designs in Leaphorn’s notebook appear like something you’d see on what, in Chapter 10?
(a) Pueblo pottery.
(b) Mexican pottery.
(c) Navajo rugs.
(d) Karuk pottery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the receptionist at AIRC that shows Bernie through the museum in Chapter 7?
2. What initials are written down for a twelve-thirty meeting on the Friday before the shooting in Leaphorn’s journal in Chapter 9?
3. Agent Cordova calls Bernie in Chapter 9 to set up a meeting with her and whom?
4. What is the name of the café where Bernie has lunch in Santa Fe in Chapter 7?
5. What is the name of the new suspect that has a record and a motive in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inner conflict does Bernie face in the beginning of Chapter 7? How is it resolved?
2. Why does Bernie go to Leaphorn’s home in Chapter 4? Who does she discover there?
3. What possible leads to Bernie and Chee find when they examine Leaphorn’s old files in Chapter 5?
4. Why does Chee stop at Earl’s Restaurant in Chapter 10? What does Chee do there?
5. What information about Leaphorn does Bernie relate to the FBI agent that arrives on the crime scene in Chapter 1?
6. Who is Mrs. Benally’s son? Who does Mrs. Benally say her son was with on Monday morning in Chapter 3?
7. Why does Captain Largo tell Bernie to take a few days off work in Chapter 2?
8. What does Louisa say to Bernie and Chee when she calls in Chapter 5?
9. What does Mrs. Benally tell Bernie about her use of the car in Chapter 3?
10. What does Bernie discover when she arrives at her mother’s house in Chapter 4?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)