• Chapter 1 opens at the Navajo Inn in Window Rock, Arizona, where the Navajo Police hold a meeting each Monday.
• In attendance at the meeting is also retired Police lieutenant Joe Leaphorn, who sits in on the meetings to lend thoughts on cold cases; he is close friends with Captain Howard Largo and many others on the force.
• Officer Bernadette Manuelito, referred to as Officer Bernie, is also at the meeting and receives a call from her husband, which leads her to step outside the meeting as Joe Leaphorn is walking to his pickup truck.
• Officer Bernie witnesses a blue sedan pull up by Leaphorn’s truck and a small, hooded individual steps out, shoots Leaphorn in the head, and then flees.
• The other officers rush outside due to the chaos and after an ambulance takes Joe away, Bernie gives the details of the incident to FBI...
This section contains 6,170 words
(approx. 21 pages at 300 words per page)