|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Annie Baxter doing when we meet her?
2. Where does the food come from that Keith Landry eats for dinner in Chapter 11?
3. What did Keith Landry do in his job?
4. How does Keith Landry try to prevent his wife taking a lover?
5. When were Keith Landry and Annie Baxter lovers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cliff Baxter's relationship with Sherry Kolarik?
2. What does Keith Landry find when he returns home from the meeting at the Lutheran Church?
3. How does Cliff Baxter try to get information on Keith Landry?
4. Describe the reunion between Jeffrey Porter and Keith Landry.
5. Why does Keith Landry decide to leave town?
6. How does Cliff Baxter's presence influence Keith Landry's relationship with his car?
7. What is Keith Landry's relationship with Billy Marlon?
8. What was Keith Landry's relationship with Annie like, before they split?
9. What is the role of infidelity in the Baxter household?
10. Describe the relationship between Annie and Cliff Baxter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of Spencerville--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
Having just finished his work in the Cold War, Keith Landry returns home to find a new opposition with the brutal police chief. How much does this opposition prolong the Cold War Keith Landry had been part of fighting? Compare and contrast Cliff Baxter and the Soviet Union. Is Cliff Baxter a symbol of repressive regimes?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)