|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Annie Baxter doing when we meet her?
2. What led to the split between Keith and Annie?
3. What caused Keith Landry to return home?
4. What does the warning say?
5. What is Keith Landry's attitude toward the person who shows up at his door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the farm Keith Landry returns to in Spencerville.
2. How does the narrator describe the Porters' way of life?
3. What was Keith Landry's relationship with Cliff Baxter in high school?
4. Descartes the meeting Gail Porter put together.
5. What does Keith Landry ultimately do with his car?
6. Describe the conflict that is being brewed as Keith Landry spends more time in Spencerville--and how it seems likely to be settled.
7. Why does Keith Landry decide to leave town?
8. Describe Keith Landry's experience at the Landry family Labor Day gathering.
9. Describe the relationship between Annie and Cliff Baxter.
10. How does Annie Baxter conclude that her husband is having an affair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Spencerville a Vietnam novel? What role does Vietnam play in the novel? How much is war part of Spencerville? Trace the war imagery and themes through the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
How do you account for Cliff Baxter's brutal temperament? Is it a fact of nature, an aberration in human psychology, a product of circumstances, or is there some other cause for it? How does the author account for it?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)