|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who drives by when Annie Baxter goes out to feed the dogs?
2. What does Cliff Baxter wonder about Keith Landry?
3. Why doesn't Keith Landry stop at the Baxter house?
4. What is Keith Landry supposed to do, to play his part in the movement that's supposed to be gaining traction?
5. What has Billy Marlon become since the last time Keith Landry saw him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Annie confronts Cliff Baxter?
2. What is the state of Annie Baxter's relationship with Keith Landry at the beginning of the novel?
3. What does Keith Landry do now that he is back in his old hometown?
4. What advice does the pastor give Keith Landry?
5. Describe the reunion between Jeffrey Porter and Keith Landry.
6. What does Keith Landry ultimately do with his car?
7. What was Keith Landry's relationship with Annie like, before they split?
8. What was Keith Landry's career before taking forced retirement?
9. Describe the conflict that is being brewed as Keith Landry spends more time in Spencerville--and how it seems likely to be settled.
10. How does Cliff Baxter try to get information on Keith Landry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How realistic is this book? What parts are not believable? What leaps of faith does the author require of the reader?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
Why doesn't Keith Landry urge Annie to remain married, and to work within the bond she had accepted, honoring the vows she once took? Put another way, what makes Annie's marriage to Cliff Baxter so contemptible that we wish, as readers, for it to end? Would there be a virtue to Annie remaining married?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)