|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Keith Landry stop at the Baxter house?
(a) Cliff Baxter warns him away with a gun.
(b) His car breaks down.
(c) He finds himself unable.
(d) He can't find it.
2. What does Keith Landry ask about at the gas station?
(b) Job prospects.
(c) Development plans.
3. Where does Keith Landry go after making his visit?
(a) A pond.
(c) The high school.
(d) To see Annie Baxter.
4. What movement does Keith Landry hear about after dinner in Chapter 11?
(a) Persecution of local minorities.
(b) Cliff Baxter's election to state office.
(c) Opposition to Cliff Baxter.
(d) Consolidation of Cliff Baxter's power.
5. When did Keith Landry return to his hometown?
(a) After World War II.
(b) After the Vietnam War.
(c) After the Cold War.
(d) After Desert Storm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts Cliff Baxter at the end of Chapter 4?
2. What do Keith Landry and his visitor do together?
3. What source does Cliff Baxter expect this person to have gotten information from?
4. What caused tension between Keith Landry and Annie before Keith left for Vietnam?
5. What does the thing in Annie Baxter's pocket make her think?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conflict that is being brewed as Keith Landry spends more time in Spencerville--and how it seems likely to be settled.
2. How does the narrator describe the Porters' way of life?
3. Describe Keith Landry's experience at the Landry family Labor Day gathering.
4. What is the state of Annie Baxter's relationship with Keith Landry at the beginning of the novel?
5. What does Keith Landry ultimately do with his car?
6. Describe Annie's departure from Keith Landry's house.
7. How does Cliff Baxter try to get information on Keith Landry?
8. What happens when Annie confronts Cliff Baxter?
9. How does Cliff Baxter's presence influence Keith Landry's relationship with his car?
10. What happens after Keith Landry gives Billy Marlon a ride home?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)