|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gould likes to believe people are what?
2. How much does Gould estimate the book will cost to make?
3. What is Karen's definition of something greater than courage?
4. What substance do Karen and Gould share in Act Two?
5. What does Karen reveal about the prison script?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following characters. Create an analysis of why they live and work in Hollywood based on the text:
Essay Topic 2
Conscience and morality is mentioned frequently throughout Speed-the-plow. Analyze conscience and morality based on one of the following:
1) The bet placed on Karen.
2) Guilt associated with success.
3) Professional responsibility.
Essay Topic 3
Power is an important theme that drives Speed-the-plow. Write an essay on the following and how they relate to power in the text.
1) In Act 1, what is the power structure between the characters?
2) At what point in the play does the power structure shift?
3) Does the power structure ever return to what it was in Act 1? Why or why not?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)