|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Gould say has the power to make the book into a film?
2. What does Karen ask Gould about his inner vision?
3. The book in Act 2 claims people are ruled by what emotion?
4. What does Karen reveal about the prison script?
5. How does Gould respond to Karen's interpretation of "Radiation . . ."?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author, David Mamet, is known for creating sharp, snappy dialogue that helps define a character. Citing examples from the text, create an argument for or against the idea that the dialogue is as powerful in a character description as the character description that is written in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Conscience and morality is mentioned frequently throughout Speed-the-plow. Analyze conscience and morality based on one of the following:
1) The bet placed on Karen.
2) Guilt associated with success.
3) Professional responsibility.
Essay Topic 3
Power is an important theme that drives Speed-the-plow. Write an essay on the following and how they relate to power in the text.
1) In Act 1, what is the power structure between the characters?
2) At what point in the play does the power structure shift?
3) Does the power structure ever return to what it was in Act 1? Why or why not?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)