|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Gould and Fox bet about the secretary?
2. What type of film did Fox show the movie star?
3. What does Fox think Gould plans to do with his secretary before lunch?
4. What does Gould ask his secretary to do at the end of Act One?
5. What is does "green light" mean in the film business?
Short Essay Questions
1. By Act 3, does Fox feel Karen is just a dumb secretary? Why or why not?
2. Explain what Karen believes she saw in Gould.
3. Describe the book Karen wants to see made into a film.
4. What does Fox say worried him all night before his meeting with Ross, and why is it ironic?
5. What are the terms of the bet made on the secretary, Karen?
6. What is significant about Fox's desire for a drink in Act 3?
7. Why does Karen feel the prison film is "degrading to the human spirit?"
8. Although Karen had claimed her motives in making films to be purer than the men, what makes Fox and Gould's motives pure as well?
9. Why does the final scene between Gould and Fox become violent?
10. When Gould complains that everyone wants something from him, how does Karen reveal him as hypocritical?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do women play in Speed-the-plow?
1) What is the significance of Karen, the only woman in the play?
2) How are women treated?
3) How are women discussed?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the presence of religion in the script.
1) Who discusses religion?
2) In what way is it discussed?
3) What are the relationships various characters share with God?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the types of films Gould mentions from his past and how they compare to the following potential material:
1) "Radiation . . ."
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)