|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the secretary ask about the film with Doug Brown?
2. What do Gould and Fox bet about the secretary?
3. What does Gould reveal to Fox at the beginning of Act One?
4. What does Fox compare the substance of his movies to?
5. At the beginning of Act One, what is Bobby Gould doing when Charlie arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 3, Fox reveals his relationship with Gould to have been what?
2. According to Gould and Fox, when is it possible to make things happen in Hollywood?
3. How does Fox feel about the division of power between men and women in the workforce?
4. In the light of day, how do the philosophies expressed by Karen the night before sound to Gould?
5. By Act 3, does Fox feel Karen is just a dumb secretary? Why or why not?
6. What type of career advice does Fox offer to Karen, once Gould declines to produce "Radiation . . ."?
7. Explain what Karen believes she saw in Gould.
8. When Fox describes himself as a cog, what does he mean?
9. When Gould offers Karen a job at the studio, what is her response?
10. How does Gould first reveal to Karen that "Radiation . . ." will not be produced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power is an important theme that drives Speed-the-plow. Write an essay on the following and how they relate to power in the text.
1) In Act 1, what is the power structure between the characters?
2) At what point in the play does the power structure shift?
3) Does the power structure ever return to what it was in Act 1? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The characters experience several driving motivations that guide them through the story. Choose one of three characters in the play and examine the motivation that drives him or her.
1) What drives the character?
2) How does their motivation affect others?
3) What is the result of that drive?
Essay Topic 3
What role do Gould and Fox play in the vast machine that is Hollywood?
1) Analyze the entertainment industry.
2) Discuss the career path of Fox.
3) Discuss the career path of Gould.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)