|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ross cancel the meeting with Fox?
2. What do Gould and Fox bet about the secretary?
3. After Gould and Fox discuss potential money from the prison film, Gould claims money is what?
4. Where do Gould and Fox go to lunch?
5. In Act One, what type of read does Ross ask of a certain book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Gould and Fox talk about their relationships with others in Hollywood?
2. What is the relationship between Fox and Gould?
3. What comment about prayer did Gould make as a joke that Karen took seriously?
4. In Act Two, Karen tells Gould about a time when she felt empowered. What was this experience like for her?
5. Explain what Karen believes she saw in Gould.
6. Describe the book Karen wants to see made into a film.
7. In Act 2, Gould speaks of a connection shared between him and Karen but is being insincere. Why?
8. When Gould offers Karen a job at the studio, what is her response?
9. Although Karen had claimed her motives in making films to be purer than the men, what makes Fox and Gould's motives pure as well?
10. What does Fox say worried him all night before his meeting with Ross, and why is it ironic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author, David Mamet, is known for creating sharp, snappy dialogue that helps define a character. Citing examples from the text, create an argument for or against the idea that the dialogue is as powerful in a character description as the character description that is written in the text.
Essay Topic 2
There are several unseen elements that drive the characters in Speed-the-plow. Choose one of the following and analyze its effect on the characters.
1) The popular film audience.
Essay Topic 3
The idea of loyalty is a driving force in Speed-the-plow. Consider the execution of loyalty between Gould and Fox analyzing how their loyalty and betrayal affect:
1. Their career.
2. Their friendship.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)