|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Fox's deadline to make a deal with Ross?
2. What do Gould and Fox spend time doing in Act One?
3. Who does Fox want to be the costar?
4. Fox quotes who from the Bible?
5. Prior to the pitch meeting, Fox expresses concern Gould will do what with the prison film?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the terms of the bet made on the secretary, Karen?
2. According to Fox, Karen used Gould for what purpose?
3. Explain the irony of the secretary who does not know how to complete the simplest tasks. What does this represent?
4. When Gould claims that Fox is spending too much time kissing up to him instead of doing his job, what is Fox's response?
5. Explain why, from Gould's point of view, films get made in Hollywood.
6. How does Karen excuse Gould's tendency to lie?
7. What additional motivation, other than personal ambition, does Fox have to stop Gould from betraying him?
8. What is Fox's response when Gould reveals he has changed his mind about producing Fox's film?
9. What is Gould's definition of a maverick?
10. How does Karen feel people should react towards fear?
Essay Topic 1
The characters experience several driving motivations that guide them through the story. Choose one of three characters in the play and examine the motivation that drives him or her.
1) What drives the character?
2) How does their motivation affect others?
3) What is the result of that drive?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the hypocrisy Gould demonstrates in his role as Head of Production.
Essay Topic 3
Fear is mentioned several times within Speed-the-plow. Analyze the idea of fear based on its presence in the play.
This section contains 1,303 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)