|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gould claims the gods do what to make people mad?
2. What does Gould ask his secretary to do at the end of Act One?
3. What substance does Fox need in Act One?
4. What does Gould feel is missing from his company's films?
5. Gould pretends those who aren't happy in film are the ones who are what?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Gould and Fox, when is it possible to make things happen in Hollywood?
2. What are Fox's plans for the future, after the Prison film is produced?
3. When Gould offers Karen a job at the studio, what is her response?
4. Although Gould has pretended to champion "Radiation . . ." in an attempt to get Karen to bed, he is eventually forced to admit what?
5. According to Fox, Karen used Gould for what purpose?
6. Explain the irony of the secretary who does not know how to complete the simplest tasks. What does this represent?
7. What are the terms of the bet made on the secretary, Karen?
8. How does Karen excuse Gould's tendency to lie?
9. Early in Act One, Gould says, "When the gods would make us mad they answer our prayers." What does this mean and how is it applicable to Gould?
10. Explain why, from Gould's point of view, films get made in Hollywood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following characters. Create an analysis of why they live and work in Hollywood based on the text:
Essay Topic 2
Fear is mentioned several times within Speed-the-plow. Analyze the idea of fear based on its presence in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the types of films Gould mentions from his past and how they compare to the following potential material:
1) "Radiation . . ."
This section contains 1,339 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)