|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the opening scene of the play set?
2. Fox quotes who from the Bible?
3. Who does Fox want to be the costar?
4. What script does Gould show Fox in Act One?
5. How long is the pitch the Gould and Fox plan to give Ross?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the book Karen wants to see made into a film.
2. By Act 3, does Fox feel Karen is just a dumb secretary? Why or why not?
3. What issue does Gould seem to be debating within himself at the beginning of Act One?
4. Why does Karen feel that the real reason is for Gould turning down the film "Radiation . . ."?
5. Even though it is his job to greenlight films, Gould is upset when he feels this is why Fox has come to visit him. Why?
6. In Act 2, Gould speaks of a connection shared between him and Karen but is being insincere. Why?
7. According to Fox, Karen used Gould for what purpose?
8. When Gould claims that Fox is spending too much time kissing up to him instead of doing his job, what is Fox's response?
9. Why does Karen believe the subject of "Radiation . . ." is timely? What is it and why?
10. How does Gould use his power to his advantage in Act Two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Conscience and morality is mentioned frequently throughout Speed-the-plow. Analyze conscience and morality based on one of the following:
1) The bet placed on Karen.
2) Guilt associated with success.
3) Professional responsibility.
Essay Topic 2
The author, David Mamet, is known for creating sharp, snappy dialogue that helps define a character. Citing examples from the text, create an argument for or against the idea that the dialogue is as powerful in a character description as the character description that is written in the text.
Essay Topic 3
What role do Gould and Fox play in the vast machine that is Hollywood?
1) Analyze the entertainment industry.
2) Discuss the career path of Fox.
3) Discuss the career path of Gould.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)