|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are some of the ancestors on Nabokov's paternal, Russian side?
(a) A lawyer, scientist, and Dmitri Nabokov, a well-known actor.
(b) A prominent Caholic cardinal, a physician, and Dmitri Nabokov, an inventor.
(c) An explorer, the sister of a prominent Decembrist, and Dmitri Nabokov, the author's grandfather, who served as Minister of Justice for eight years.
(d) A government leader, an opera singer, and Dmitri Nabokov, the surgeon.
2. To what is Nabokov's mother quite sensitive?
(c) Seemingly small events.
(d) Insect bites.
3. Why does Vasiliy insist upon lying supine on the floor?
(a) He claims it stretches out his spine.
(b) He claims it relieves his chest pains.
(c) He claims it helps him breathe better.
(d) He claims it improves his posture.
4. To what does the memory of the bracelet lead?
(a) An important memory about Colette.
(b) An important memory about his father.
(c) An important memory about his mother.
(d) An important memory about Mademoiselle.
5. How does Mademoiselle provide Vladimir with an extra hour or two out of the darkness?
(a) He sits with him while he falls asleep.
(b) She allows him to fall asleep in her room.
(c) She leaves a candle lit by his bed.
(d) The light from her lamp gives a little light to his room.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Cummings influence Nabokov's scientific drawings of butterflies?
2. What does Nabokov call the process of using both the English and Russian translations of "Speak, Memory" to shape the current work?
3. Who are Miss Norcott and Miss Hunt?
4. Why is the family forced to leave Russia?
5. To whom does Nabokov feel the strongest bond of kinship?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)