|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This chapter is the first recorded work, published in French in 1936, under the name "Mademoiselle O."
(a) Chapter Seven.
(b) Chapter Five.
(c) Chapter Four.
(d) Chapter Two.
2. Where does Nabokov's mother trick Dimitri into believing he is still?
(a) In Russia.
(b) In France.
(c) In London.
(d) In Greece.
3. How does Nabokov open his autobiography?
(a) With a short review of Russian history.
(b) With a short meditation on the periods of inexistence before birth and after death.
(c) With a short story about the birth of his son.
(d) With an examination of his early childhood.
4. Mademoiselle threatens several times to leave. Why does she end up staying?
(a) Nabokov's mother threatens her.
(b) Nabokov's mother gives her a raise.
(c) Nabokov's mother gives her gifts.
(d) Nabokov's mother talks her into staying
5. Of what descent is Nabokov's mother?
(a) Aristocratic Norwegian descent.
(b) Aristocratic Swedish descent.
(c) Aristocratic German descent.
(d) Aristocratic English descent.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rest of the chapters are published separately, mainly by whom?
2. Who are some of the ancestors on Nabokov's paternal, Russian side?
3. Why, when Nabokov is a child, is he terrified of the dark?
4. Of what are Nabokov's memories in a Russian setting?
5. What does Nabokov call the process of using both the English and Russian translations of "Speak, Memory" to shape the current work?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)